Got my first score today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh Hufford

Dec 24, 2012
Jefferson City, Missouri
We've had two record high temps in a row yesterday and today, I think it hit 77F yesterday, all this warm weather brought some storms and high wind today. I was driving home from work when I'm less that 1/4" mile from home I see a guy cutting up a tree that had fallen on the driveway to an apartment building. I turned around and stopped, asked him if he had a place the wood was going. He said no, so I asked if I could have it. He said if you help me sure. So I went home and grabbed my trailer and headed back. We got that tree cut up then started on another that had fallen behind the building. We kept going until we filled my 5x10' trailer with 2' sides. And there is probably that much more, he is going to call me when he heads over to do the rest. It was raining on us the whole time, but at least it wasn't too cold. Looks like most of it is elm. Good mix of small stuff and larger pieces to split. I would have taken a picture but it was almost dark when I got home.

Also when I first went home to grab the trailer, I noticed one of the trees in my yard had also been blown completely over right at the base of the trunk. It was almost dead anyway, but I hadn't taken it down because it was right next to power lines so I wasn't going to touch it. It was actually on my to-do list to call the power company and see if they would take it down. Thankfully it JUST missed the grape arbor I had built just this summer. :eek: It fell away from the power lines too. I still need at least one more trailer load of seasoned to get me through this winter yet, but at least I've got a good start for future winters. Temp is supposed to drop like a rock tonight and tomorrow.

Reactions: schlot
Congrats on the score! Pictures tomorrow or it didn't happen!;lol Those storms are headed to my part of Kentucky tonight maybe we'll all be lucky and no one will get hurt, no one's home will be damaged and we'll score some wood!

Great score, seems to happen to me like that. I had about a whole bunch of scrounges all happen at once.

Awesome....close to home:cool:

Be very cautious around the tree that tipped over. If the root ball is still attached, it will want to stand back up. Cut the trunk at the root ball first and be VERY VERY Cautious.

Be very cautious around the tree that tipped over. If the root ball is still attached, it will want to stand back up. Cut the trunk at the root ball first and be VERY VERY Cautious.

Jags advice is very sound and should be followed. There can be a great amount of energy stored in trees knocked over by Mother Nature. Fire wooden' is fun,, sept hit ain't worf dying fur!:p

Thanks for the good advise, thankfully it broke it off completely. A lot of the bark was already off the trunk, I knew it wouldn't be long. My wife has been wanting to plant some fruit trees, now we have a good place to do it. Wish getting rid of the stump was easy.

Had that happen to me and a neighbor after Sandy. We were dealing with some white pines in a cluster that fell from my property, across the private road and onto his utility lines. Luckily we knew it was going to happen because the trees kept inching back upright as we cut rounds off the trunks. Then when it happened it happened slowly enough for us to stand clear - and three stumps swung back upright like the trees never came down at all. Stumps are probably 6 feet high now.

OTOH - we're supposed to get them high winds tonight....maybe some of my own trees will come down...hopefully not on the new deck :/

Reactions: bboulier and zap
I could see it now.....gonna cut the smaller top branch, and thats gonna roll right into the Arbor

Looks like black locust and silver maple. That's a good mix of sholder season and cold winter wood. Nice, very nice. And be careful!;)

Nice score!

Status
Not open for further replies.