Got my first ton today for....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
$197.00 / ton. The dealers private label Uncle Jed's. This will be my third season using these pellets as my primary pellet. Great pine pellet with low ash.

Last year I also used Eureka's with great sucess but the low price on the "private label" UJ's was just too good to pass up (no more Eurekas at my dealer this year as he now bags a ponderosa pine pellet to replace 'em).

Earlier this week I bought two bags of Fibres Product Inc. pellets from a new mill made in Niagra, WI. Not a bad pellet but priced higher at $235.00 / ton made them non-competitive. I can buy a spruce/fir blend for that kind of $$$.

Tonite my house is toasty...

daydreamer said:
This will be our second year using pellets (not that brand). The house is warmer using pellets than burning propane.
I've said it before that I'd burn pellets even if they were more expensive than NG. My old barn of a house has a very poor forced air duct system leaving the kitchen and porch very chilly. I'd always crank up the heat to keep the kitchen warm but it would keep my bedroom way too hot. Now the bedroom is cooler and I use a very small electric space heater to even out the heat in the boudoir .... the rest of the house is toasty... I like it.

mainegeek said:
I'm actually considering another pellet stove for the upstairs.... :)

I really wanted to buy another stove to heat my shop. But the trucking business has been so bad this year (made worse when I totalled my Peterbilt when I broad sided a Dodge mini-van driven by a drunk illegal alien (3rd offense)). Just not enough $$$ this year... the good news is NG is 12% cheaper this year and my shop heat is NG.

krooser said:
I really wanted to buy another stove to heat my shop. But the trucking business has been so bad this year (made worse when I totalled my Peterbilt when I broad sided a Dodge mini-van driven by a drunk illegal alien (3rd offense)). Just not enough $$$ this year... the good news is NG is 12% cheaper this year and my shop heat is NG.

Hmmmm, I had posted a response but it disappeared; weird

I hope that person was deported...

Yeah, I probably won't get one this year either.... to bad though with all the tax incentives

Like most homeowners, I have laundry list of things. I really want to get a propane on demand hot water heater but before I even consider doing that I need to get a water softener to fix my hard water issues. The wife and I already need to have a boiler tech come out and do an acid flush of our coil; we're barely getting any hot water at this point.

The second pellet stove is unfortunately at the end of that list.... but I can plan! :)

mainegeek said:
krooser said:

Hmmmm, I had posted a response but it disappeared; weird

I hope that person was deported...

Yeah, I probably won't get one this year either.... to bad though with all the tax incentives

Like most homeowners, I have laundry list of things. I really want to get a propane on demand hot water heater but before I even consider doing that I need to get a water softener to fix my hard water issues. The wife and I already need to have a boiler tech come out and do an acid flush of our coil; we're barely getting any hot water at this point.

The second pellet stove is unfortunately at the end of that list.... but I can plan! :)

It's been a tough year for a lot of folks... my stove dealer laid off one person from each department this year. The guy that loaded me yesterday just came back to work after being off all summer.

Even with the "stimulus" $$$ sales are down. If you haven't got it in cash people aren't buying as much. Over time perhaps we'll all be a little smarter in the future as hard times are a good educator.

krooser said:
......But the trucking business has been so bad this year (made worse when I totalled my Peterbilt when I broad sided a Dodge mini-van driven by a drunk illegal alien (3rd offense))......

Not meaning to hijack it, or get this thread sent to the ash can, but how is this possible????? 3rd offense???? If the person was "illegal" to begin with, how is it possible they got even a 2nd chance, no less a 3rd?????????? Shouldn't they have been deported after the 1st offense????? This is just NUTS!!!! And let me guess....no insurance on their vehicle either.... >:-(

<End of rant>

Sorry to hear that Krooser. Hope things pick up.

Illegals, can you say cheap labor?? 'Rich' and influential people like to keep their maids around, no matter how bad the boyfriend is.

macman said:
krooser said:
......But the trucking business has been so bad this year (made worse when I totalled my Peterbilt when I broad sided a Dodge mini-van driven by a drunk illegal alien (3rd offense))......

Not meaning to hijack it, or get this thread sent to the ash can, but how is this possible????? 3rd offense???? If the person was "illegal" to begin with, how is it possible they got even a 2nd chance, no less a 3rd?????????? Shouldn't they have been deported after the 1st offense????? This is just NUTS!!!! And let me guess....no insurance on their vehicle either.... >:-(

<End of rant>

Sorry to hear that Krooser. Hope things pick up.

The owner of the car (not the same as the driver) denied having any insurance coverage... Wisconsin does not currently have mandatory auto insurance (it"s coming next year). However my insurance company did some digging and found out she DID have coverage... how much I don't know.

I have an "agreed value" policy on my truck. I had it insured for $25K but used truck prices are in the toilet so I lowered it to $15K last fall to save a few $$$ each month. My company paid me the $15K less my $1K deductible. Then I bought back the truck for $4850.00 so I can repair it myself. I just spent $7K on repairs and didn't want to lose that $$$. Plus I've owned this thing for six years and I know what's right and wrong with it... something I wouldn't have if I bought another used truck.

Anywho... my insurance ccompany is going after her company for the $$$ they paid out plus my deductible and the actual value of my truck ($20K) that I would have received if I had insured it for what it was worth (according to the ins. co. that would be $20K).

Yeah... I'm confused, too.

Plus I asked for $24k in lost earnings since that's what my truck would have netted in August. (busy season).

The problem (I think) is the owner is more than likely covered by a bare minimum policy...10K property damage. That would leave me out in the cold.

Don't bother to ask me how I feel about our country's immigration policies.

krooser said:
....Don't bother to ask me how I feel about our country's immigration policies.

Don't worry, I think I already know, as it's the same as mine >:-(
And give the current "situation" in the white house and across the street from there, it isn't going to change in at least 3 years.

Could be the inexperience or bad pellets or just my burning conditions but the eureka's made these, uncle jed's didn't without changing anything. $197 a ton, I may need to look into that.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 285
jtakeman said:
krooser said:
my dealer this year as he now bags a ponderosa pine pellet to replace 'em........

What was the brand name on those ponderosa pine pellets? Just curious.

jay[/quote

I used Eureka's last year... bought one pallet. They are a Fir/spruce mix I believe. The ponderosa pine is their own brand that they bag at their bulk facility... also called Uncle Jed's.

slow-al said:
Could be the inexperience or bad pellets or just my burning conditions but the eureka's made these, uncle jed's didn't without changing anything. $197 a ton, I may need to look into that.

Great picture but I can't really tell what that is...ash?

The Eurekas burned exceptionally clean for me last year... very little ash. I never change any settings between pellets, temps, etc. I haven't changed one setting on my stove since I got it in October, '07.... only the heat setting which goes from 1 to 6. Never had to in order to have a good running stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.