Got my first tree service contact !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteNoob

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2013
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
We have large storage units, for small businesses and R.V's, etc. at my workplace. One of them is owned by a small lawn service. This morning, we were late at the shop, unloading a few semis, and I got to se the lawn guys loading up and pulling out. Walked up to the owner, who was talking to another guy, and asked if he did, or used a tree service. The guy next to him says, in a light Ausie accent, "I own a tree service." I didn't really know how to proceed, so I asked if it would be advantageous to him to be able to dump a number of loads somewhere other than the local landfill. He gets a big grin, and says, Why yes, sir, that would be very advantageous!" Turns out they were just discussing yet another impending increase in their charges for disposal. We exchanged numbers, and he said he would only call when he had good hardwood for burning.

Quite jazzed at his initial success. Now we'll have to see how it all works out. :)

damn, I thought about calling a few of the tree service businesses around here and inquiring about the same. However, I may be pushing close to 30 cords split/stacked by fall so I'm not so sure I need more at the moment. I wonder if all/most tree services have to pay to dispose of the wood....?

Reactions: WriteNoob
Hope it works out for you. I approached a tree service doing a crane job behind my house 15 yrs or so ago about getting some logs. Later that afternoon he backed down my driveway and put a grapple load in my yard. He has been my primary source ever since. Call him up every year or two and a load appears.

Awesome can't wait to see the pictures of your first delivery!

I ran into an old buddy and I found out that owns a tree service and I brought it up with him. He buried my driveway for 2 years and I couldn't keep up and I didn't have time for my other projects.....hehe I ended up having my boys sell a crap ton of it for their Cub Scout events.

I told him last year I needed to take a break so I haven't seen him for a while. Then I saw him a couple months back and he asked me about the truck in the picture to the left and he said I should drop it off the night before at job sites and pick up when full. Can't wait to get it going so he can load it up with firewood rounds.

I just turned down a load of Maple due to two big Oak logs at the end of my drive that are in the way.....and I need all the Ash and Maple I can get my hands on for the 14-15 season.....otherwise I'm screwed, nothing but unseasoned Oak in my stacks. Having that big truck is awesome, especially once it's filled

I've talked to a few tree service guys who said they'd keep me in mind when they have a job in the area, but I have never heard back from them. I think the issue is there's a place 2 miles from me that takes wood and branches for free. They make mulch out of the branches, and split and bundle the wood to sell to gas stations.

I just turned down a load of Maple due to two big Oak logs at the end of my drive that are in the way.....and I need all the Ash and Maple I can get my hands on for the 14-15 season.....otherwise I'm screwed, nothing but unseasoned Oak in my stacks. Having that big truck is awesome, especially once it's filled

Haven't been in that position, yet, but I would think there would be a certain amount of anguish, watching a load of maple slip away, even if its cause is a large amount of oak. At least, there would for me. Me-thinks I may have been bitten by the bug. ;)

Or, perhaps I'm just greedy? ;em

I may be pushing close to 30 cords split/stacked by fall so I'm not so sure I need more at the moment

30 cords? Exactly how cold does it get in Wisconsin? That's an impressive wood supply.

How far are you from Canton? I have an ash tree I took down that is a little punky...will burn in the fall, its yours if you have a truck i dont really want to split it and i need to drop another ash in the same area.(thats my project for tomorrow.)

I can tell you that it gets cold enough that you get home from working in it, and can look forward to a night of creaking, sore joints. This winter wasn't exceptional so much in temperature as it was in duration. Got colder than all #€££, and just never seemed to break. Usually, we have warmer (above 0 degrees F)' and colder (below, say, 10 below). This year, I went into work smiling if it got up to single digits, below zero. Been quite some time since I've worked so many sub-ten below days. We've got a thing in our contract that under ten below, the boss finds us inside work. We just kinda gave up on that, after a few weeks, as there wasn't any left, and the outside work clients were screaming to get done. That said, I do commercial overhead door stuff, so if there are unheated jobs that are stopping someone's business, they get done, even at -30. This year, 10-20 above usually came with a collective sigh of relief, around our shop.

30 cords? Exactly how cold does it get in Wisconsin? That's an impressive wood supply.

yeah, I have ~16 seasoned cords already stacked. I have another 9 or so I just split/stacked this year so far and I have another cord or two to go in the pile. Then I will be getting the wood from my neighbors 10-12 Black Locust trees he wants dropped and also the wood from a larger dead oak my other neighbor wants gone. I'm hoping to burn <5 cords a year with my Kumma VP100, which will be arriving within the month. We were previously using the wood in an open pre-fab metal fireplace w/ the -GRATE WALL OF FIRE- to "heat" the house. Got sick of burning through 3-5 cords of wood and still paying for LP.

yeah, I have ~16 seasoned cords already stacked. I have another 9 or so I just split/stacked this year so far and I have another cord or two to go in the pile. Then I will be getting the wood from my neighbors 10-12 Black Locust trees he wants dropped and also the wood from a larger dead oak my other neighbor wants gone. I'm hoping to burn <5 cords a year with my Kumma VP100, which will be arriving within the month. We were previously using the wood in an open pre-fab metal fireplace w/ the -GRATE WALL OF FIRE- to "heat" the house. Got sick of burning through 3-5 cords of wood and still paying for LP.

Oak ...
Black Locust ...

;sick This is me, green with envy. ;)

Oak ...
Black Locust ...

;sick This is me, green with envy. ;)

lol....most of what I currently have seasoned is oak. On paper, if I get a supply built up of 30 cords and burn an average of 4.5 cords a year, all I need to do is make 3 cords a year from here on out and I'll have wood for 20 years. Sounds good anyway...lol

I also have about a cord or two of pine, but I use that in the outdoor fire pit. I guess I'll be getting more of that too, as the same neighbor who has the Locusts wants some of his pine trees gone as well.

lol....most of what I currently have seasoned is oak. On paper, if I get a supply built up of 30 cords and burn an average of 4.5 cords a year, all I need to do is make 3 cords a year from here on out and I'll have wood for 20 years. Sounds good anyway...lol

I also have about a cord or two of pine, but I use that in the outdoor fire pit. I guess I'll be getting more of that too, as the same neighbor who has the Locusts wants some of his pine trees gone as well.
How much land do you have ? 30 cords seems like it would take up a lot of area.

I'll be changing my signature, soon. Just found out the guy that the guy I was to get all the pine from has had a few rip-roaring bonfire parties, over the last month. Went through a couple cords each. He has an 8' fire pit, and apparently, burns accordingly. He also wants to keep a lot more at his place, now that these parties are drawing large crowds of friends. He's still giving me the stuff we're currently cutting. I'm the only one willing to drop the trees, and he's a bit skittish about that. Oh well, his wood. I need to call that tree service, and amend my request to include softwoods and poplar, etc. if I'm going to have burnable wood, this winter. I've got 2 cords of red pine CSS, and may make four by the time I get what's standing at his place. I'd like to have five or six, just to be sure, until I know how fast I'll be going through it.

We only have 3 acres. Have access to ~12 more which are adjoining. I'm stacking the piles ~5.5' tall though hoping they will stay upright. Attached is ~8 cords, 2 per row. I cut them between 18-21" in length.

Attachments

• pile.jpg
    pile.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 156
Haven't been in that position, yet, but I would think there would be a certain amount of anguish, watching a load of maple slip away, even if its cause is a large amount of oak. At least, there would for me. Me-thinks I may have been bitten by the bug. ;)

Or, perhaps I'm just greedy? ;em

With a good tree service contact and a few years stacked up you will not care if a load goes by. You will be happy to pass because you have a big stash already. You will have other things in life to do than process wood. You will want to wait till the fall to order the next load when it is cooler and easier to work. The pressure to get it and hoard it will be off because you will realize that you already have all the wood you will ever be able to burn, some of it just hasn't been delivered yet.

How far are you from Canton? I have an ash tree I took down that is a little punky...will burn in the fall, its yours if you have a truck i dont really want to split it and i need to drop another ash in the same area.(thats my project for tomorrow.)
Not sure how far, but the Wife has stopped my scrounging till I cut / move a couple of big Oak logs at the end of the driveway, and I'm not allowed to do outside chores till I'm done with her Kitchen (slow going with injury and delays).....the grass is startin' to get tall. Thanks for the offer:cool:

Started a wood/chip dump about 8 years ago. Been downhill ever since. 2 tree services use it and bring in 50-100 cord a year. Anything over 10" is bucked to length. The long stuff we separate out and sell as log loads mixed with wood from our logging operation. Some bucked up stuff we sell as long as we have enough to supply the OWB that heats shop and dads house.
Chips we grind every few years and sell as mulch. Easiest wood I've ever burned. Some big stuff we have to noodle down but if I didn't have this setup I wood be spending a lot of time cutting wood.

We only have 3 acres. Have access to ~12 more which are adjoining. I'm stacking the piles ~5.5' tall though hoping they will stay upright. Attached is ~8 cords, 2 per row. I cut them between 18-21" in length.
How do those fenceposts hold up? I can get them at work, we use them for orange safety fence all the time. I'd guess they do well or you wouldn't be using them, I'll have to grab some this week and bring them home for the next stack I'll be building

IMG_0227.JPG IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0229.JPG IMG_0230.JPG IMG_0231.JPG IMG_0232.JPG IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0234.JPG
How do those fenceposts hold up? I can get them at work, we use them for orange safety fence all the time. I'd guess they do well or you wouldn't be using them, I'll have to grab some this week and bring them home for the next stack I'll be building

Sorry, I just saw this now. So far they are holding up great. I have the 6.5' versions and they are probably driven into the ground a good foot or so.

For those asking about 30 cords taking up a lot of room. I've attached photos of what I currently have.....at least 25-26 cords. There is ~8 cords in those 4 larger rows, 3+ cords near it, 7.5 cords under the lean two and about 8 out in the woods in single rows in various locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.