Got my moisture meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

I ordered it from harbor freight, a cheap one, but it certainly works. The wood I have for this year was with no question seasoned, but wanted to make sure. I split a couple of pieces and got in the 10 % - 15% range so I'm happy with that. Now when I'm bucking tomorrow, I'll test 4to5 pieces of the dead stuff. Cool little contraption.

Battery eating little dudes though, I think I am going to take the batteries out of it next time, the last set went dead and I only used it a couple of times.

I like my meter too. It seems 20% and under is suppose to be good to burn but most of the stuff I have bunted so far is 19-20ish and it doesn't seem to burn all that well to me. I am going through my pile splitting already split wood trying to find some drier stuff and have some down around 15-% that I am going to try. Wish mine was as low as 10%. Maybe next year.

Backwoods said:
I ordered it from harbor freight, a cheap one, but it certainly works. The wood I have for this year was with no question seasoned, but wanted to make sure. I split a couple of pieces and got in the 10 % - 15% range so I'm happy with that. Now when I'm bucking tomorrow, I'll test 4to5 pieces of the dead stuff. Cool little contraption.

Congratulations Backwoods. Do you have any idea what the dead stuff is?

Zap

bspooky said:
I like my meter too. It seems 20% and under is suppose to be good to burn but most of the stuff I have bunted so far is 19-20ish and it doesn't seem to burn all that well to me. I am going through my pile splitting already split wood trying to find some drier stuff and have some down around 15-% that I am going to try. Wish mine was as low as 10%. Maybe next year.
That is not right I hope you know, either your MM is not reading correctly or you have another problem, wood that is 20% is good to go any day of the week in any stove that is working correctly. Forgot to ask is that on a fresh split?

zapny said:
Backwoods said:

Congratulations Backwoods. Do you have any idea what the dead stuff is?

Zap
i really have no idea. Lots of oak in the woods, so maybe. I don't even know if anyone here can identify. I could post a pix tomorrow, and maybe someone here can have a go at it.

oldspark said:
bspooky said:
That is not right I hope you know, either your MM is not reading correctly or you have another problem, wood that is 20% is good to go any day of the week in any stove that is working correctly. Forgot to ask is that on a fresh split?

Fresh split. I won't have a fire tonight, but tomorrow I have some 17ish percent wood to start off with and then I am throwing the 20 per centers on. I just got a new stove too so it could be user error. :-(

I am actually going through and splitting my already split wood for two reasons, a) separating wood into three piles (17% and under, 17.1%-20% stay in the garage in two piles, and the above (most I am taking out is 22-25% range) 20% is heading back outside. This is probably the 4th time I have moved this wood around. LOL Also, b) I am splitting split wood because my insert is a whole lot smaller than the fireplace box was!

bspooky said:
oldspark said:
bspooky said:

Fresh split. I won't have a fire tonight, but tomorrow I have some 17ish percent wood to start off with and then I am throwing the 20 per centers on. I just got a new stove too so it could be user error. :-(

I am actually going through and splitting my already split wood for two reasons, a) separating wood into three piles (17% and under, 17.1%-20% stay in the garage in two piles, and the above (most I am taking out is 22-25% range) 20% is heading back outside. This is probably the 4th time I have moved this wood around. LOL Also, b) I am splitting split wood because my insert is a whole lot smaller than the fireplace box was!
I burnt some 25% oak for a test a while back and it burnt like a dream with no sizzlers so yes I think you are in a learning curve or your chimney dont "suck" enough.

yep 20% should be good to go..im burning 20-25% oak and its the real deal

20% should go up like its soaked in gasoline, start a thread with your set up and some of these experts will help you figure out whats going on.

oldspark said:
Battery eating little dudes though, I think I am going to take the batteries out of it next time, the last set went dead and I only used it a couple of times.
My General from Lowe's had a tendency to turn back on when I had it in my pocket. I put a rubber band around it to keep the power button from being pressed every time I bent over to pick up a split.

weatherguy said:
20% should go up like its soaked in gasoline, start a thread with your set up and some of these experts will help you figure out whats going on.
My experience has been that I get a few hissers or some visible moisture on the ends at around 20%. The wood doesn't burst into flames instantly when placed on hot coals but the moisture is expelled quickly and the wood burns fine.

I also got a Moisture Meter from Harbor Frieght....something around $13....it does have a margain of error....I believe about +/- 4%

Woody Stover said:
oldspark said:
My General from Lowe's had a tendency to turn back on when I had it in my pocket. I put a rubber band around it to keep the power button from being pressed every time I bent over to pick up a split.

weatherguy said:
My experience has been that I get a few hissers or some visible moisture on the ends at around 20%. The wood doesn't burst into flames instantly when placed on hot coals but the moisture is expelled quickly and the wood burns fine.
My batteries went dead and it was setting in my tool box, the funny thing about it was they were better batteries I had bought in a store here not the ones that came with it, pretty sure I only used it twice.
IMHO 20% wood should start right up and mine always has, I dont get sizzlers at 25 % wood, maybe you had some surface moisture, no way should 20 % wood do that, a true sizzler (green wood) would have moisture come out the end at about 28 % or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.