Got my new stove!!! Website for accessories?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maplegirl

Sep 7, 2007
South Shore, MA
Ok, Jason and I picked up our new stove on Saturday. It was pretty fun trying to hoist it into the back of the Jeep and then bring it into the house (425 lbs!). We are expecting our chimney guy to give us a quote for the installation on Tuesday. We're still not sure if we're going to install it ourselves or hire some one. Depends upon cost, I guess.

I am super excited about getting our first fire going. We got a beautiful slate corner hearth pad for $125. Once we get the stove installed we'll get a simmer pot, gloves, indoor wood holder and poker set. Anyone know of a good website for these things? Also, I've made a few calls and it sounds like the going rate for a cord of wood in the South Shore (MA) area is about $200-250. Does this sound about right? Anyone know of a good place? What questions should I ask my wood supplier and how do I know they are giving me a full cord?

Bring on the cold!!!!

Just checked out the fuel price page. Looks like $200 is about right for my area.

Depends on how far south you are, I know of one dealer in norwood on everett ave but don't know how far you are from there. The wood burners will chime in soon.
good luck..

Don't know where you are exactly. I'm in
Randolph and there are several local outfits
who are reputable.

Oh and congrats on the new stove but
don't be wishing the cold on us too soon. :cheese:

Good questions to ask your dealer would be what type of wood is he selling and how long ago was it cut and split. The best types of wood are hardwood, but within the hardwoods you would like to have oak, maple (sugar or hard maple is great, red maple is mediocre, and silver maple barely qualifies as good hardwood) beech. hickory, black locust, black or yellow birch and ash. Other hardwoods include cherry, white birch and elm but they are not as heat dense as the first group. Ideally the wood would have been cut and split last winter or spring and left in a good sunny location at least all summer long in order for it to be good for burning this winter. As far as knowing if it's a true cord or not which is defined as a tightly packed stack 4'x4'x8', since it won't be delivered in stack form unfortunately, you just need to count on a good reliable dealer as you already have figured out.

zeta said:
Don't know where you are exactly. I'm in
Randolph and there are several local outfits
who are reputable.

Oh and congrats on the new stove but
don't be wishing the cold on us too soon. :cheese:

We're neighbors.... I'm in Holbrook. Who do you use?

On the topic of accessories, I'd advise not buying anything cheap (i.e. what you'd find at Home Depot or Lowes).

The shop where I bought my stove had really nice wood racks and utility sets (broom, shovel, poker, and tongs) but at first I balked because of the price.

The cast iron log rack (for inside the house) I wanted was (I think) about $130, and the cast iron set of tools I liked was about $175 or so. After dropping over $2,000 on the stove, I really didn't want to spend that kind of money on accessories, but I'm so glad I did now.

The tools (poker, shovel, and broom) last winter got used daily. Having a nice sturdy set was key to working with 16-18" splits. The cheap set I had replaced (from Lowes) would have fallen apart less than a month into winter. The log rack I got had sides that looked like upside down U's, and a real simple base. Nothing fancy, but this thing got stuffed with wood daily, to the point where the sides would bow out at the top, and it could handle the load.

I don't know what brand name they are, but I would advise asking your stove guy to recommend something. I'm sure there others on the board who know brand names, but what I looked for was solidly built stuff, that felt solid in my hand.

maplegirl said:
We're neighbors.... I'm in Holbrook. Who do you use?

Hello neighbor! :lol:

I've got a pellet stove, no wood.

Try ATL in Randolph 781-986-7420.
Talk to Diane, tell her Shelby sent you.

As for accessories, there are lots of online places. Google hearth accessories. Maybe try Lehmans.com or Plow & Hearth for a start?
http://www.plowhearth.com/home_hearth.asp
http://www.lehmans.com/sdx/H21495.jsp
http://www.fireplacemall.com/index.html

As to the wood, be sure to order it a couple inches shorter than your stove can handle. For instance, if you stove takes 18" logs, order 16" wood. When the wood is being delivered, check it out right away, before they start dumping the load. Feel it for weight and dampness. Is it heavy like lead? Bad sign. Have your maul ready to go and split up a couple of the larger pieces. Are they damp in the middle? If yes, the wood is not dry and not ready to burn.

Stack it right away in a location where it is easy to measure the finished stacks. Each cord should equal 128 cubic feet. So measure the height, width and depth of each stack first, then multiply H x W x D to get the cubic footage. If the load is shy, don't be afraid to call the supplier back. Last, check length frequently, especially if your stove only takes smaller pieces of wood. If a lot of it is over the length you specified and agreed upon, reject the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.