Got my "new to me" Avalon installed today!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claybe

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Colorado
I found an Avalon model 901 used and installed it into a Majestic prefab today with the help of a friend. It is burning right now!!! And we are toasty! This is my first wood stove and I am really really pleased right now. I can't believe how good it feels in the house and it is only in the 40's outside. This is great!

I do have a couple of questions:
1. Do I just leave the fire and let it smolder out at night? How do I stop the fire?
2. Is if okay to leave the fire going if I leave the house?
3. How far do I adjust the damper "down" to maximize my fuel?

To answer most of these questions use the view search threads box. Sounds like you want to be safe in your inserts operation, and thats a good start. Id imagine you started with a full liner and block of plate? These things all relate to running your stove safely and feeling comfortable when you are away. Searching the threads will also help with your final air setting's once you have established a good fire. Others may chime in now that your thread has been bumped. Good luck and safe burning. N of 60
EDIT: Just noticed yours is a prefab. Disregard the liner ect... Sorry. Well at least your thread is bumped. :)

Absolutely, buy a magnetic stovepipe thermometer (I have two, just to make sure the first one was "in the ballpark") You will learn tons about how your stove operates when you watch the thermometer go up and down with usage ..... what happens when you throw a log in, what happens when you damper the oxygen down, etc.

I love my new Lopi insert

Status
Not open for further replies.