got my oil bll today.. whoohooo...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abj1969

Sep 17, 2007
S.Jersey
so i forgot to call and get taken off automatic delivery. oops..lol. any way i guess we have had enough cold days to get a delivery. last year every time we got a delivery it was about $250 at i forget how much a gallon. well todays delivery was $3.50 a gallon and only cost $22. lol.. god i love this wood stove.. and to top it all my house has been warmer then ever this year....

That reminds me of a story. A homeowner gets rid of his oil furnace and oil tank from the basement, but the filler pipe is left sticking out of the wall. Due to lack of communication, the oil company comes around to automatically fill up the tank, and no one is home.... the oil man thinks something's wrong when he adds 250 gallons and it's still not full...

Congrats Neighbor,

We got one about 3 weeks ago, took about 70gals, last delivery was early September....but we have a boiler and a Super Stor domestic hot water heater attached to it... yep.. we love our hot showers.

Don't take yourself off that auto delivery, they will figure it out... when you need them they will be there, a service contract can be worth its weight in gold if you aren't a HVAC mechanic.

Looking this past two weeks there were two great Craigs List give-aways for wood in Cherry Hill... a little too far for us. I remember you scored well with that load so you must be up to your eyeballs for the next season or two.

Safe burns,
Jim & Kathy

Beanscoot said:
That reminds me of a story. A homeowner gets rid of his oil furnace and oil tank from the basement, but the filler pipe is left sticking out of the wall. Due to lack of communication, the oil company comes around to automatically fill up the tank, and no one is home.... the oil man thinks something's wrong when he adds 250 gallons and it's still not full...

Back in the late 70's, the neighbors in the next two houses were brothers with different oil suppliers. As you already guessed the brother who was WAY short of oil got the delivery from the wrong company. The company moaned and complained but had no recourse. He was taken to court but the law read in NY at that time that if you are delivered goods not ordered, the goods are yours to keep.

I think I would have paid a fair margin for it... but sometimes people take a little bit more than their fair share.

The other crazy event was a emergency home oil delivery, the driver took the wrong truck to the home... the tanker was filled with gasoline instead of home heating oil... whatta mess.

Yup, that's a great feeling. Yesterday I turned the oil guy away. He was here last on Dec. 18 and I still have 7/8 of a tank (I use the boiler for hot water, and it did kick on a little during the cold snap this week).

abj1969 said:
so i forgot to call and get taken off automatic delivery. oops..lol. any way i guess we have had enough cold days to get a delivery. last year every time we got a delivery it was about $250 at i forget how much a gallon. well todays delivery was $3.50 a gallon and only cost $22. lol.. god i love this wood stove.. and to top it all my house has been warmer then ever this year....

Hwll I never did have auto delivery. I always fill up in the summer and burn it in the winter . No use giving those oil bandits a penny more than you have to. By bandits I refer to everyone in that food chain except the deliver guys. By it now or later a buck saved is a buck and oil doesn't go bad sitting for a while.

Here in the mid-west everyone uses natural gas so I can't relate to delivery issues, but I can relate to how much natural gas I used. This being the first year with my insert is a bit of a test. Last bill: $22. Same period last year: $137. Figuring that is only for 1 monthl, I hope to save a bundle this year. However I am almost out of wood already and will have to buy some before the season is over.

abj congrats, its a great feeling socking it to the oil man. in my case its his is evil brother the propane man.

Looking this past two weeks there were two great Craigs List give-aways for wood in Cherry Hill… a little too far for us. I remember you scored well with that load so you must be up to your eyeballs for the next season or two.

man i wish i saw that.. cherry hill is right around the corner/

Beanscoot said:

man that must have been a mess and a half. house must have smelled for a long time.

abj1969 said:
Looking this past two weeks there were two great Craigs List give-aways for wood in Cherry Hill… a little too far for us. I remember you scored well with that load so you must be up to your eyeballs for the next season or two.

man i wish i saw that.. cherry hill is right around the corner/

Next time I see anything I will shoot you an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.