Got my old 65 running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wardk

Feeling the Heat
Jul 19, 2012
B.C. Canada
Repaired the pull start and fuel pickup cleaned the air filter and replaced plug. It runs but it seems like it wants to clear it's throat, sort of like starting a cold saw only it never gets to full song. A friend said it might be a partially blocked exhaust port . Has anyone had this problem?

Sounds like partially blocked fuel. Try a new fuel filter.

Repaired the pull start and fuel pickup cleaned the air filter and replaced plug. It runs but it seems like it wants to clear it's throat, sort of like starting a cold saw only it never gets to full song. A friend said it might be a partially blocked exhaust port . Has anyone had this problem?

Pull the screen out of the muffler (if it has one?) and run it again. If that cures it then the screen needs to be cleaned.

Pull the screen out of the muffler (if it has one?) and run it again. If that cures it then the screen needs to be cleaned.

Exhaust side it plug it will dye kinda like a banana up the tail pipe..lol Full song would be a tuned sound and it take fuel to sing....

Okay i'm assuming it's not an exhaust problem, maybe a carb issue .

Okay i'm assuming it's not an exhaust problem, maybe a carb issue .

I would start with fuel filter sound like it wants more fuel. Screen dirty should kinda back fire and heat a screen up enough to burn through it if you can keep it running. Carb rebuild maybe maybe not.

Exhaust side it plug it will dye kinda like a banana up the tail pipe..lol ..

Not always. I've taped up a screen before as a skills test and the machine (usually a trimmer) will start and idle fine, but bogs as soon as you hit the throttle. Poor bastards usually mess with the carb for 1/2 hour before they get real frustrated. ;lol

+1 on the exhaust side. Plugged muffler or screen will most times give the same affect as having the choke on all the time (running rich). Fuel filter will create a lean condition. Rich = 'chug chug', lean = 'gasp gasp' (kinda sorta :) ). If you snap the choke on & off quickly with the throttle pulled & that doesn't give temporary relief, it's not likely fuel related.

Plus I like to rule out every other simple thing before I get gas on my fingers.

Not always. I've taped up a screen before as a skills test and the machine (usually a trimmer) will start and idle fine, but bogs as soon as you hit the throttle. Poor bastards usually mess with the carb for 1/2 hour before they get real frustrated. ;lol

65 should have some pretty big exhaust holes out that muffler. If the screen still there would be more than impressive. ;)

Thanks for the help everyone ,I'll work on it today and let you know what I find.

I finally got back to the saw,my wife had a few days off and had a honey do list, anyway the saw doesn't have a screen in the muffler and I didn't find a fuel filter.

Reactions: smokinj
I finally got back to the saw,my wife had a few days off and had a honey do list, anyway the saw doesn't have a screen in the muffler and I didn't find a fuel filter.

Pair of needle nose pliers and pull the gas line out of the tank. Very rarely will you find a screen it an older big saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.