Got my Tarm 60

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
Just wanted to share that I picked up my Tarm Solo yesterday up in Lyme, NH. It was a lot bigger than I thought (and dam heavy), but luckily was able to get it off my pickup with my John Deere tractor and into my garage enough to close the door. Its going to be a feat to maneuver it into position and now I am glad I didn't plan on putting it in the cellar; no idea how I would have accomplished that...

Any tricks for moving around 1200lb pieces of machine in a confined place?

we moved mine around on 4-5 lengths of small pvc pipe. we just kept taking one out from the back and putting it in the front. I was amazed that the pipe didn't break, but it made moving it easy.

I did something similar to Kevin, but with PT fence post section. To get it to turn an angle I used a 5 foot long steel pipe. I'd put the pipe under the tarm near the corner, so that about a foot of pipe was under it, then I'd lift it up to "pry" it around a corner. I could get it to turn an inch or so per pry. Everything was very slow going. It took me about 15 hours to get it from the back of my truck into my basement. A come-along and ramps were also very useful tools.

I was going to suggest small pieces of pipe as well but Kevin beat me to it. I was kind of shocked at PVC though... we have used "black iron" pipe for moving milling machines and lathes many times.

A pallet jack is pretty handy if you have some room to maneuver. You can move a lot of weight short distances with the proper application of a pry bar.

You can move a lot of weight short distances with the proper application of a pry bar.
Ah the wonders of mechanical advantage. I am always happy when I accomplish a seemingly impossible feat with the basic "simple"
machines. Good tip on pvc pipe, who would've thought.
Will

Forgot about the pipe thing - certainly have moved some big pieces of equipment on PVC before, that'll be the way but I may go with black iron anyway - hate to crush a pvc pipe on someones feet or fingers. Good suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.