Got my VF100 installed today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMtnHigh

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2013
Colorado
Fun job it was, not really haha. I had to pull out my class A chimney and woodstove to do the job. I need to fab a plate for the ceiling where the pipe passes through the roof as well. I'll get more pics of my install once I get it all buttoned up. Next summer I will actually be moving it to a different location etc. so this is kind of a temporary install until I get my heart built in the opposite corner of the room and get a new roof put on the house. Yes I know my house is dirty lol but that was mostly the wood stoves fault and will be cleaned up. I still have to haul the woodstove out of the house, not looking forward to it.

This guy is running GREAT. Does anybody by chance know what kind of water column I should be measuring through the front port on the stove? It didn't say anything about it in the pull rod section of the manual.

Here she is
DSC00955.JPG DSC00956.JPG

I wouldn't worry about the vacuum till its in its permanent home. Looks good. Big enough ash bin to get you to summer.:)

Reactions: RockyMtnHigh
Fun job it was, not really haha. I had to pull out my class A chimney and woodstove to do the job. I need to fab a plate for the ceiling where the pipe passes through the roof as well. I'll get more pics of my install once I get it all buttoned up. Next summer I will actually be moving it to a different location etc. so this is kind of a temporary install until I get my heart built in the opposite corner of the room and get a new roof put on the house. Yes I know my house is dirty lol but that was mostly the wood stoves fault and will be cleaned up. I still have to haul the woodstove out of the house, not looking forward to it.

This guy is running GREAT. Does anybody by chance know what kind of water column I should be measuring through the front port on the stove? It didn't say anything about it in the pull rod section of the manual.

Here she is
View attachment 123769 View attachment 123770
I like the moose and pine tree! Whatever you find out, don't forget to adjust for elevation.

Man I love this thing already. I hooked it up to a Quadrafire Smart Stat and hung it up in the coldest room in the house. I have a thru-wall heater running that pulls air from the stove room to the bedroom which pumps air towards the bathroom and back towards the kitchen where the remote is. The whole house is about 70f, maybe 75f in the stove room. The bathroom might only be 65f but that's ok. It's an A-frame with a tall ceiling in the stove room, around 20' tall or so but I haven't measured it. That part of the house steals a lot of heat from the rest of the place. I have it set on Low/High thermostat setting.

So far, just loving it.

The moose and the pine tree are cool. We have a local metal guy that makes those silhouettes for us to put in pellet stoves. We actually sell a lot of them at the shop. (I work in a fireplace store). We have ones that have bears and just trees as well.

Need an Elk for your part of the country. Maybe a Mary Jane leaf or two :)

Reactions: DBCOOPER
Need an Elk for your part of the country. Maybe a Mary Jane leaf or two :)

We have Moose around, they shifted positions a lot with all the forest fires we had over the summer and the Mary Jane leaves, those are in a different part of the house ;)

Nice stove!

What does the guy charge for the figures? Does he do horses? How do you attach them?

They do add a nice change to the stove - just like the Dalton memorial marble tiles for the Harmans.

Well it depends on what stove you have. Ours are designed to sit on the front shelf area of a pellet stove and just have two legs on them like they are designed to sit on a shelf etc. If he were to make one with a horse I think you'd be better off finding a local fabricator to make one for you. We get a discount on quantity purchases. The one I have is about $50 I believe as far as retail goes. If you want I'll give you measurements and great pics to see if it will fit yours. When I clean mine next I'll show you how it fits in mine.

Man I love this thing already. I hooked it up to a Quadrafire Smart Stat and hung it up in the coldest room in the house. I have a thru-wall heater running that pulls air from the stove room to the bedroom which pumps air towards the bathroom and back towards the kitchen where the remote is. The whole house is about 70f, maybe 75f in the stove room. The bathroom might only be 65f but that's ok. It's an A-frame with a tall ceiling in the stove room, around 20' tall or so but I haven't measured it. That part of the house steals a lot of heat from the rest of the place. I have it set on Low/High thermostat setting.

So far, just loving it.

The moose and the pine tree are cool. We have a local metal guy that makes those silhouettes for us to put in pellet stoves. We actually sell a lot of them at the shop. (I work in a fireplace store). We have ones that have bears and just trees as well.
When you clean the stove make sure you vacuum out the area inside the front of the igniter. If it gets plugged up with ash it will burn out. Ash falls in there when you pull out the burn pot for cleaning and clean out the burn area. Also take out all the sheet metal screws inside the burn area and put high temp never seize on them. They might not come out if you don't. The screws need to come out when you do your per ton cleaning. If you can find a way to get them out, the two screws that fasten the igniter to the back wall of the burn area should have the high temp never seize on them too. If you can't get them out, you will have a real problem changing out the igniter. ;)

i have read horror stories about the igniter change so I do all that for sure, and will also pull out every screw in the firebox and treat them with anti-seaze as well. thank you

2 quick install pics. I re-used my old simpson duraplus flashing and had to get creative with a flat cone flashing for pellet vent. 4" all the way. I cut a bunch of slits and bent over the tabs to fit over the flashing, screwed about 5 of them down then used a hose clamp to cinch down the remaining tabs. I'll be using either roofing tar or something similar to seal it all off and make it waterproof. Temporary install for now but it worked out pretty good. I was scratching my head for a little while trying to figure out the best way to do this. My roof is STEEP and I don't think they even make a pellet flashing that would work with it. I'm sure that even if they did it wouldn't cover the existing hole. Now I have to make some type of plate for the inside to make it look nice, it's a gaping hole right now lol

This will all be going away and the stove will be moved to a location where it can vent through the wall once I have enough money to put a roof on the house. I would have just put it where I wanted it but didn't want to have to repair the drywall and close up the roof penetration when I know I need to do a new roof anyways.

DSC00958.JPG DSC00957.JPG

2 quick install pics. I re-used my old simpson duraplus flashing and had to get creative with a flat cone flashing for pellet vent. 4" all the way. I cut a bunch of slits and bent over the tabs to fit over the flashing, screwed about 5 of them down then used a hose clamp to cinch down the remaining tabs. I'll be using either roofing tar or something similar to seal it all off and make it waterproof. Temporary install for now but it worked out pretty good. I was scratching my head for a little while trying to figure out the best way to do this. My roof is STEEP and I don't think they even make a pellet flashing that would work with it. I'm sure that even if they did it wouldn't cover the existing hole. Now I have to make some type of plate for the inside to make it look nice, it's a gaping hole right now lol

This will all be going away and the stove will be moved to a location where it can vent through the wall once I have enough money to put a roof on the house. I would have just put it where I wanted it but didn't want to have to repair the drywall and close up the roof penetration when I know I need to do a new roof anyways.

View attachment 123989 View attachment 123990
That is the definition of STEEP! Is the termination high enough?

Reactions: RockyMtnHigh
It's actually about 2.5 feet above the highest point of penetration but I plan on adding another 2 feet to it for good measure. If I had to guess I'd say the roof is around an 18/12 pitch or so, may even be steeper haha. I can lean the ladder with the pitch of the roof with the feet on the ground. I dug 2 holes about 6" deep the the ladder feet set in to keep it from going anywhere.

Reactions: chken
Status
Not open for further replies.