1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Got my wood shed built!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by sly22guy, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sly22guy

sly22guy New Member

Loc:
    Lancaster,PA
    I havent had a chance to finish out the framing on the roof. just got it up so i had a place to store the free wood! Yeah im gona finish buiding the ends so it wont sag. we usually dont get much snow fall in our area, (last decent snow 1996). Now of course we'll get a ton. its close enought to the ground that i can take the shovel and clear it off if it gets to high. i was gona get the 3/4 but they had a special on the 7/16 that i couldnt pass up $6.00 a sheet! Built the whole thing for bout $450.00 and that includes the shingles i havent put on yet. im gona shop the habitat for humanity stores and discount places for some siding in the spring.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    You built that pretty cheap.. How much did you pay for the roof shingles? I paid $23.00 bundle (it took 9 bundles)at Lowes and those were the cheapest they had.. The tar paper was $30 (I think, not sure).. I also needed 8 lengths of drip edge at $3.00 per length.. Got pretty expensive when it was all said and done.. Nail prices for gal-V nails is rediculously high too.. My rafters were 16' 2x8's and I needed 11. Dunno how people can afford building a home these days! So far my shelter has cost about $1000.00..
  3. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Hi Goose,
    I went to Harbor Freight in Fall River today and bought a bunch of the silver tarps and a few other goodies.. Definately a mans shopping place :) .. I picked up a moisture meter for $15.00 too and it seems to work pretty good.. Thanx for the tip!

Ray
  4. sly22guy

sly22guy New Member

Loc:
    Lancaster,PA
    We have a local habitat for humanity store. (alot of decent material @ discounted prices) if you dont mind dif colored shingles. ($10-$15 per bundle) drip edge and such. Worth checking around. plus the money they make goes towards building homes for the needy
    heres a link maybe theres one in your area.
    http://www.habitat.org/env/restores.aspx
  5. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    There is a habitat store about 2 miles from me and I've been there... They do have good deals if you catch them right...

Ray
  6. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Hey Sly just wondering if you finished your shed... Please post pics if you did I'd like to see it..

Ray
  7. sly22guy

sly22guy New Member

Loc:
    Lancaster,PA
    I have not had a chance to finish it yet as it stands now i wrapped it with house wrap to protect the osb and covered the roof with tar paper. I own a retail jewelry store so ive been super busy for xmas (well not as busy as id like) so after new years im gona try n finish it up weather permitting!
  8. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Best of luck on your Christmas store season and with your shed!!

Ray
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.