got myself in a pickle....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

candkjewell

Aug 20, 2016
Ohio
IMG_0567.JPG IMG_0568.JPG
Let me start by saying I am a novice at best and I don't know what to do now.... I removed my Temco O clearance fireplace today expecting that I would have a Masonry fireplace behind it (HUGE MISTAKE), and I would install my Little Buck insert for more efficiency. when I got the old stove out piece by piece I was heart broken to find a plywood floor and drywall. not not sure what to do. The little buck 26000 could be used as a stove but I don't know if it will be safe to plumb it in and set it in the current hole or what I need to do. please review pictures and I would appreciate suggestions

Thanks Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0569.JPG
    IMG_0569.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 154
Last edited by a moderator:
It's unlikely that the Buck could be connected there. The chimney pipe looks to be air cooled which would make it under-rated for wood stove use. There is also the issue of clearance requirements for the Buck, 12" to each side and 16" behind it.
Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 4.03.50 PM.png
The clearances may be reduced with proper wall shielding and the chimney pipe will need to be replaced, but that doesn't take care of the clearances above the stove unless the alcove was opened up to the ceiling.
Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 4.06.32 PM.png
http://www.buckstove.com/manuals/rmanuals/260027002800.pdf

Last edited:
It's unlikely that the Buck could be connected there. The chimney pipe looks to be air cooled which would make it under-rated for wood stove use. There is also the issue of clearance requirements for the Buck, 12" to each side and 16" behind it.
View attachment 183078
The clearances may be reduced with proper wall shielding and the chimney pipe will need to be replaced, but that doesn't take care of the clearances above the stove unless the alcove was opened up to the ceiling.
View attachment 183079
http://www.buckstove.com/manuals/rmanuals/260027002800.pdf

I guess I don't understand. So do I need to go back to a 0 clearance fireplace with blower? What I took out

Going back to a ZC fireplace is an option. If it is a different unit the chimney must match the replacement ZC fireplace's requirements. The other option I was reviewing was to remove the false fireplace and open up the old ZC space to the ceiling. This would create an alcove. If the clearances can be worked out safely then install the Buck as a freestanding stove in there.

There are several example installations like this on this forum. Do a search on alcove.

The chimney that's left behind will not work with anything other than the old fireplace you removed.

Now your options are to:
-install another inefficient fireplace like you had.
-Put in a high efficiency zero clearance fireplace
-raise the header height and put in a free standing stove in the alcove.

All of these options are going to require a new chimney.

That's a pickle alright, time to regroup and make a new plan, this seems to happen a lot with newer houses (late 80's to current)
I have a friend that has the same situation, he just doesn't understand that he's got a bare minimum builders grade zero clearance fire place with an air cooled chimney, he thinks that he can just stick an insert in the fireplace and buy some type of adapter to connect to the existing chimney. I just shake my head saying the N O word and remind him that I have (2) spare bedrooms at my place that he can stay at when he burns his place down (this is all joking) It didn't click with him until I explained that the fireplace was only designed to run a few hours a day and not 24/7 "like a rugged woodstove" and that's why you need more heavy duty pieces. (had to really dumb down the conversation)
But in your case you may want to get the old tape measure out and measure how much class a pipe you going to need, don't forget that if you open up the area to an alcove you can install a ceiling support box to support the clase a pipe and use dvl from the stove collar to the ceiling support box. You can also build an awesome wall shield using cultured stone and stuff, you can actually design it with air gaps both top and bottom and it could act as a wall shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.