Got oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjorn773

Sep 12, 2007
Rockford, Illinois
I happenned into this beautiful oak about a month ago. I've filled my 5x10 trailer 5 times now and split/stacked 4 1/3 cords out of it so far. I figure there to be another 2 cords at least. It's 30 inches in diameter so far and I'm still about 15-20 feet from the base. I hate to see such a beautiful tree down, but am not gonna pass up the wood either!!

Attachments

• Wood Load 07-5.jpg
    Wood Load 07-5.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 868
My latest load yesterday.

Attachments

• Wood Load 07-1 copy.jpg
    Wood Load 07-1 copy.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 874
Here's the total stash so far. Should make for a cozy winter next year.

Attachments

• Wood Load 07-4 copy.jpg
    Wood Load 07-4 copy.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 880
Nice haul...
Thats the kind of wood that warms you twice.

Warms you cutting and splitting as well as when ya' burn it.

Definatley some BTu's there...shame to see one like that fall over....but more of a shame when it's left to rot away! ;)

sweeet haul. I need a sugar momma tree like that to keep from scrounging a little here and there.

You know it's going to be a long day when your rounds look like curley-Qs. Lots of nice barkless splits too, but the back will be so so sore from moving those pancakes.

Good score. My neighbors have an oak like that that blew over a year ago in the woods behind their house. They have a picture of their kids dwarfed by the root ball. It's so big, it took down a couple of other oaks that were themselves maybe 16" at the base. It's too far from truck access to bother right now (houses here are so close together and mostly fenced), but if I ever get desperate (and a longer bar) there's at least a season's worth back there. It's definitely a shame to see it go to waste; it's sort of taunting me.

Yeah I have one of those monsters just off the end of my drain field that the tornado blew down. Aimed all downhill from the root ball. I walk down there every once and a while, groan, and go back to the house.

Nice score. Yes, those big ones usually seem to fall in some inaccessible spot, usually in a swamp or down a 100' ravine. I can get to most with the pickup, still load them on the trailer because of the deck height, but the Power Wagon is the only way to pull in the woods, short of a skidder. Only problem is that the truck tears everything up, especially with chains on the tires.

Around here, if a big tree is near the road, you best fly home and grab your stuff if you want it, because it'll be gone by morning. Most of my neighbors know by now that I'll scrounge wood and will call if they're going to have a big tree taken down, or if they see a blowdown or such. It's amazing what a few well-placed cases of gifted beer will do for your odds! I also had my lawyer draft a waiver that I'll give to homeowners, that usually sets them at ease.

Isn't it a great feeling to have next year's wood split already? Makes you all warm and fuzzy.

I've been hacking away at one I had dropped in my back yard too. This oak can be tough stuff.

Personally I'd rather wrestle these big guys than spend all day filling a trailer with the little stuff from the top end. But, we take all we can get, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.