1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Got oak?

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by bjorn773, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjorn773

bjorn773 Member

Loc:
    Rockford, Illinois
    I happenned into this beautiful oak about a month ago. I've filled my 5x10 trailer 5 times now and split/stacked 4 1/3 cords out of it so far. I figure there to be another 2 cords at least. It's 30 inches in diameter so far and I'm still about 15-20 feet from the base. I hate to see such a beautiful tree down, but am not gonna pass up the wood either!!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bjorn773

bjorn773 Member

Loc:
    Rockford, Illinois
    My latest load yesterday.

Attached Files:

3. bjorn773

bjorn773 Member

Loc:
    Rockford, Illinois
    Here's the total stash so far. Should make for a cozy winter next year.

Attached Files:

4. keyman512us

keyman512us Member

Loc:
    North Worc. CTY MA
    Nice haul...
    Thats the kind of wood that warms you twice.

Warms you cutting and splitting as well as when ya' burn it.

Definatley some BTu's there...shame to see one like that fall over....but more of a shame when it's left to rot away! ;)
  5. njtomatoguy

njtomatoguy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maple Shade, NJ
    NICE!!
  6. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    sweeet haul. I need a sugar momma tree like that to keep from scrounging a little here and there.
  7. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    You know it's going to be a long day when your rounds look like curley-Qs. Lots of nice barkless splits too, but the back will be so so sore from moving those pancakes.
  8. DiscoInferno

DiscoInferno Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silver Spring, MD/ Munising, MI
    Good score. My neighbors have an oak like that that blew over a year ago in the woods behind their house. They have a picture of their kids dwarfed by the root ball. It's so big, it took down a couple of other oaks that were themselves maybe 16" at the base. It's too far from truck access to bother right now (houses here are so close together and mostly fenced), but if I ever get desperate (and a longer bar) there's at least a season's worth back there. It's definitely a shame to see it go to waste; it's sort of taunting me.
  9. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah I have one of those monsters just off the end of my drain field that the tornado blew down. Aimed all downhill from the root ball. I walk down there every once and a while, groan, and go back to the house.
  10. Gibbonboy

Gibbonboy New Member

Nice score. Yes, those big ones usually seem to fall in some inaccessible spot, usually in a swamp or down a 100' ravine. I can get to most with the pickup, still load them on the trailer because of the deck height, but the Power Wagon is the only way to pull in the woods, short of a skidder. Only problem is that the truck tears everything up, especially with chains on the tires.

Around here, if a big tree is near the road, you best fly home and grab your stuff if you want it, because it'll be gone by morning. Most of my neighbors know by now that I'll scrounge wood and will call if they're going to have a big tree taken down, or if they see a blowdown or such. It's amazing what a few well-placed cases of gifted beer will do for your odds! I also had my lawyer draft a waiver that I'll give to homeowners, that usually sets them at ease.

Isn't it a great feeling to have next year's wood split already? Makes you all warm and fuzzy.
  11. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I've been hacking away at one I had dropped in my back yard too. This oak can be tough stuff.
  12. bjorn773

bjorn773 Member

Loc:
    Rockford, Illinois
    Personally I'd rather wrestle these big guys than spend all day filling a trailer with the little stuff from the top end. But, we take all we can get, right?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.