Got out of wood; want back in!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

penfrydd

Jul 7, 2008
Western MA
www.penfrydd.com
I had an Eshland Wood Gun from '85 to about '95 and found it to be a lot more maintenance than I hoped for. Always needing new gaskets on the door. Lots of tube cleaning. But the worst was the fact that the draft fan was on the hot side of the fire, so the heat would travel down the motor shaft and fry the bearings. That along with ridiculous amounts of creosote on the fan which would make it squeal.

I switched to oil in '95, but this old farmhouse is just too much to heat. I've got wood, I've got a son (33) who burns wood, so I've got help in the woods.

There are lots more choices now than there were in '85.

I'm was looking at Greenwood, but am now leaning towards EKO.

I would like to know what sort of maintenance is required after the honeymoon is over, and what's the draft situation?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.