Got Propane?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday it was $4.89 a gallon her and suppliers are expecting it to continue to rise. The also are telling people we will put you on the waiting list, we are working our way down.

gg

I'm just up the road from you and we're getting the same prices up here. my mother in law (whose LP heating system I just finished) is having a hard time getting propane at all.

I'm hooking up an electric water heater to heat my solar tank (unpressurized) when the temp of the tank gets above 130, the existing controls will turn force heat into the basement floor. running it all off peak at $0.06/kwh. which is about $18 per MMBTU as opposed to $4.89 propane which is about $59 per MMBTU. the basement floor and DHW is the only thing that gets propane, supplemented with solar, and now off peak electric.

bummer for a lot of people, but I hope it wakes up the masses about diversification of heating fuels. my wife is starting to talk with excitement about the boiler shed!

If I were building a house with really cheap off peak rates (wish we had TOU metering here) I'd install an 80 gal electric water heater on a timer, electric boiler to heat thick slab-on-grade on a timer, or at the least, 1000 gal LP tank with electric elements to heat it at night......electric storage.

I'd say heaterman's numbers ar pretty close to what we pay here.

With all this talk about water heating, a standing pilot gas unit has efficiencies in the 50-60% range, direct fired oil (Bock) are not much better. This is what happens when you have a vertical flue right up the middle of a steel tank.....

TS
I did HVAC work for a career, mainly large steam and HW boilers and chillers. I fitted my DHW flue with a Honeywell powered damper. With a power vent heater it gets it's signal from the flame module. It helps some but I don't know if it will ever pay for it self at a wholesale cost of $40.

This is really a regional decision with different rates for all the fuels. I have had 3 different water heaters in the last 3 years. 1st was oil tankless coil boiler. Running only hot water was $1,400 a yr. Then an 80 gal electric $600 a yr. Now a 50 gal hpwh $200 a yr. This is not off peak anything. I also researched dryers, electric at .19 c kwh vs propane at $250 a gal Electric was 25 cents a load cheaper.

This is really a regional decision with different rates for all the fuels. I have had 3 different water heaters in the last 3 years. 1st was oil tankless coil boiler. Running only hot water was $1,400 a yr. Then an 80 gal electric $600 a yr. Now a 50 gal hpwh $200 a yr. This is not off peak anything. I also researched dryers, electric at .19 c kwh vs propane at $250 a gal Electric was 25 cents a load cheaper.
Yes electric would be much cheaper than $250 a gallon propane no doubt!! My gosh!! And I thought our propane was expensive! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerMan
propane is almost 6 dollers a gallon here

Its about 2.60 hear in finger lakes more then a dollar more then last year

$4.38 a gallon in central vermont, $1 more then last year this time. Burned 25 gallons this month for heat, hot water, dryer, and stove. Looking to switch HPWH and electric dryer ($0.17kkwh)in the coming months (both need updating regardless). Based on my calculation it will be about $10 cheaper per million btu's for electric. Plus finish the radiant in my, hope to go to near zero propane usage this time next year.

$2.57 a gallon is a good price this winter even though it is much more than last year and it might shock you if your not currently watching prices. Many have paid as high as $6 a gallon this winter, but around here I've only heard the price as high as $4.50 a gallon. I fill my tank every summer and it was $1.19 a gallon for my last fill. I'll see what it'll be this summer, I bet less than $1.50.

I payed $2.39 a gallon today in central Wisconsin. I ran out of seasoned wood.
Sorry to hear of your propane purchase. I see quite a few empty woodpiles in our township too.

25 mi north of Hayward WI neighbor was just charged 4.59 and told cash up front or no fuel. I believe the
worst pain is confined in local areas. Weather guy in Duluth MN last night said its coldest recorded winter since mid 1800s and number two overall. Now please explain just why I picked this year to move north from Chicago?

25 mi north of Hayward WI neighbor was just charged 4.59 and told cash up front or no fuel. I believe the
worst pain is confined in local areas. Weather guy in Duluth MN last night said its coldest recorded winter since mid 1800s and number two overall. Now please explain just why I picked this year to move north from Chicago?
you made the right choice. I'd move back up in a heartbeat.

Salt water is looking pretty good to me after this stretch of weather. ;) Spent last weekend ice fishing on Green Bay, guess I will never learn!

I called my propane company today for the current prices. $2.19 a gallon now for a owned tank. A nickel more fore a leased tank. They think it'll go down below $1.50 a gallon this summer as usual for our area.

Yeah, right back to normal. It is my opinion that it was not actually supply and demand that drove those high prices. More like an immoral gouging based on weather forecasts. In this area the propane was not depleted and the needed extra was supplied at an inflated cost to customers. So glad to have gone totally to cord wood.

I called my propane company today for the current prices. $2.19 a gallon now for a owned tank. A nickel more fore a leased tank. They think it'll go down below $1.50 a gallon this summer as usual for our area.

I just can't figure out how the propane price spread can be so wide. I'd gladly pay $2.25/gal for a leased tank. I'm paying $4.35 right now. Its ridiculous. I'm going to look into changing companies this spring. If that doesn't work it might be time to swap out to a heat pump water heater.

Supply's were short, very short. That's why prices went sky high. Why would they ration you to 150 gallons per fill if they had plenty but were just gouging?

Status
Not open for further replies.