Got Rid of a Subura for this (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
Well, my brother in law works on cars and he needed a loaner vehicle for his clients so I had a great idea being a woodstove nut. I would trade him my 1995 Subaru wagon with 205,000 miles and a leaking gas tank with body in fair condition for 6 face cords of seasoned wood. I figured around where I live seasoned wood goes for about 85-90 face cord, so with the delivery and everything I figured about 600 dollars. This is probably a little less than what the Subaru is worth but not much. Plus he is family so I gotta give him a deal :cheese:

So today he and a buddy drove about 45 miles in a huge Ryder truck and dropped off a big o' pile. Then my brother in law drove away with the car. He actually stacked the wood in 6 rows for me to see inside the truck, very nice. It seems like my "guard dog" thinks this swap was a good idea

More pics to come

Attachments

• 0802081551.jpg
    0802081551.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 965
  • 0802081551a.jpg
    0802081551a.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 972
A lot easier to fit into the stove and burn than a car.

BrotherBart said:
A lot easier to fit into the stove and burn than a car.

plus with the leaking gas tank you would have nothing to start the fire with!! family helping family sounds like a good deal to me

I'd say that's a fair trade...now ya can get the truck you always wanted.

Jeez, I think maybe I'd have settled for half that wood for a '95 Subaru wagon with 205K miles and a leaking gas tank. You don't feel even a twinge of guilt at ripping off your BIL? :lol: Rick

How high is that stainless steel chimney, even the brick chimney seems unusually high. What am I missing? Maybe my chimney is too low :mad:

We all envy your wood, and my 2004 Subaru Forester with less than 50,000 miles must be worth even more firewood, but I'm not offering any trades as we need the Forester for at least another 100,000 miles.

Jerry_NJ said:
How high is that stainless steel chimney, even the brick chimney seems unusually high. What am I missing? Maybe my chimney is too low :mad:

We all envy your wood, and my 2004 Subaru Forester with less than 50,000 miles must be worth even more firewood, but I'm not offering any trades as we need the Forester for at least another 100,000 miles.

My stainless is 11ft outside and 6 ft double wall inside, 17 feet total. I needed the extra when I jumped from an Avalon Pendleton to a Summit and now to a Avalon Olympic. The draft is good, I have seen better, but is it s good. The other far chimney had to be that high for specs, the closer chimney is for the furnace, again according to code where I live. Good points though, it looks really high from my pics.

I bet you get at least 150K from your Forester, damn good car and nice ride, kick ass in the winter months :)

fossil said:
Jeez, I think maybe I'd have settled for half that wood for a '95 Subaru wagon with 205K miles and a leaking gas tank. You don't feel even a twinge of guilt at ripping off your BIL? :lol: Rick

Hell no :cheese: , he gets his wood really cheap, he buys logs so he paid probably 20-30 dollars a face cord. You should have seen his head snap around at me when I offered the Subaru for 6 face cords...Win/win situation. Plus he has a shop where he can fix the car up for nothing, nice perk

JFK said:
fossil said:

Hell no :cheese: , he gets his wood really cheap, he buys logs so he paid probably 20-30 dollars a face cord. You should have seen his head snap around at me when I offered the Subaru for 6 face cords...Win/win situation. Plus he has a shop where he can fix the car up for nothing, nice perk

Cool deal all around, JFK...You got some some good wood to burn and he's got a project into which he can immerse himself for a while. Two happy guys. Doesn't get any better. (Maybe you can squeeze another load out of him?) ;-) Rick

May the wood be with you. Rick

I can just see the article in the paper now: The gas prices have gotten so bad in upstate NY, residents have begun to trade cars for wood.

You guys laugh, but I've seen similar things on the local craigslists lately, barting cars/trucks for woodstoves etc.. The increased amount of wood piles around this year is sort of staggering. It has to be hurting the local oil/propane distributors!

When I pre-bought my propane (for back-up, hot water and dryer), even the propane lady said she was heating with wood only this year! Cracked me up!

eh, probably could have sold the boobaroo for more after epoxying the gas tank... For some reasons those cars are like gold in new england (I have a 96 impreza with 180k on it, and a 97 legacy with 130k on it)

Dan

Backpack09 said:
eh, probably could have sold the boobaroo for more after epoxying the gas tank... For some reasons those cars are like gold in new england (I have a 96 impreza with 180k on it, and a 97 legacy with 130k on it)

Dan

AWD, reliable (we like that), and we tend to commute- the mileage is good compared to a truck that you probably don't need (Mine gets like 26-28 mpg). It's the car that absolutely makes the most sense for me, and I'm sure that others feel the same way.

Adios Pantalones said:
Backpack09 said:

Dan

AWD, reliable (we like that), and we tend to commute- the mileage is good compared to a truck that you probably don't need (Mine gets like 26-28 mpg). It's the car that absolutely makes the most sense for me, and I'm sure that others feel the same way.

I agree with both of you but the body is pretty shaky and being a uni-body underneath once that is bad, it takes a lot of work to save the underneath. Plus with a little guy now, way too many miles for long trips. I will miss the Subaru and we would have bought another but decided on a Toyota Highlander for the little bit extra room. Both great cars. We also have a Honda Civic that is great on gas too. Sadly it was time to move the Subaru on, but.......it will have a little life left being a loaner for my brother in laws shop. Like I have said before good Karma :) My wife called her Subaru "Van Bortel" after the place it was bought from. I think I saw a tear in her eye when my bro pulled away from the driveway with last week :-/

I sold my truck 2 months ago to get our Honda Civic, but my father in law gave me his trailer for firewood, lawn mower, snowblower, etc FREE, :) . Once again it was about my son why I sold my truck, he was too big to be in the back cab with the child seat. So now the only truck I have is my Police truck for the DEC

We don't get those New England snows in central NJ, but we get some tough winters, then a few light ones. We purchased a Toyota Tercel 4WD wagon in 1986, keep it for 200,000 miles and gave it to charity. This got us to thinking, at least one 4WD/AWD. Focused in on the RAV4 and Forester, got a much better price on the Forester compared to the RAV4 with AWD, so we moved from Toyota to Subaru. So far, so good. We like the looks of the Forester better too, we are not young folks and may look out of place in the RAV4.

Hum, is this the Hearth forum?

moshiersr said:
You guys laugh, but I've seen similar things on the local craigslists lately, barting cars/trucks for woodstoves etc...

Oh, I'm not laughing...one of my trusted wood suppliers is a real scrounger wheeler dealer and also does a lot of scrap metal recycling. I gave him my old woodstove, old kitchen appliances, old kitchen cabinets, old heating ductwork, and some other miscellaneaous junk that I otherwise would have had to pay to get rid of...in return he's gonna bring me 4 cords of rounds bucked to ~16" later this year. That'll get me going on wood for next year or the year after. We both thought the deal was fair. Rick

Way to go "mate" .. your new Avatar is right on!

thanks for all of the replies the 165 a cord price is for a min. of 4 cords i think i'll start with a 2 cord load first at 185 per, the though of a 40 ft long pile is a Little more then i care to deal with this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.