Got ripped off: urgently needing advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you need 3' of OAK, but 25' of exhaust pipe? something isn't right there..

Perfectly fine. As long as the exhaust is fully lined. Harman sells a vented sealing plate extension so it can draw fresh air from the flue chase. (this is on the OP's work order)

, they'll refund the deposit except for the $180 charge for the in-home evaluation they performed.

I would demand to have that "fee" refunded as well.

I don't like to think worst case situations but I do because they always seem to find me. Worst case I see here is, it's dead of winter, your stove isn't working, your burning oil for heat, the shop says you knew what you were buying and your paying a lawyer to make everything right.
If I was still willing to make a deal with the shop, I'd be talking to the owner and not a liar of a sales guy. Ignorance doesn't give you the right to make up a story.

Bob you have got a bit of a theme running here.
I appreciate you are proud of your home grown product which is great. I just do not understand your bias against imported stoves.
Yes there are some poor quality stoves and some poor quality dealers. THese are not restricted to China as I am sure you are aware.
Now if I were in the China good, USA bad camp this thread would be the perfect thread to express that sentiment. Have I done that, no. My advice is calm communication, understand where the dealer is coming from, work with him to address your fears and stay friends. If the situation cant be sorted then get a refund as a last resort.
I think you are going to handle this well Brew, just remember no bridge burning. Sounds like the dealer is reputable and as such is someone worth having on your side in the long run. Maybe you didnt get the worlds greatest bargain but for the sake of a couple of hundred bucks are you going to risk an ulcer? I think not.
As I have said before most stoves are ok. The real important factor is the quality of the dealer, or manufacturer standing behind them. AS both we stand squarely behind every stove we sell, I am sure this rings true for most dealers everywhere, it is just a matter of avoiding the ones who don't. Makes no difference if the stove was manufacturered in Ningbo or Nantucket.
No problem here,was only trying to make an example,no different than pinto vs caddillac.I should have left china out,my fault.Heck I almost ordered one 3 weeks ago!Did I think it would last 20 years,no.I would consider them a disposable unit.Just last winter someone on here made 2(or more) service calls on a 900 stove,spent over 400 on repairs.Not logical.By the way if you checked my profile I have been running an"import" for quite along time.I researched the castle stoves quite a bit,and since they went to a standard style exhaust flow inside,as the old ones had bad blockage problems,I would own one.PS I spent most of my life working on import vehicles,prefer them.But cannot get small pickups over here anymore(sucks) but I think you can.Did not mean to upset you,it was the price/quality thing I was trying to stress,sorry.Bob

That is not Harman talking, the dealer has added the extra bells and whistles. I just installed the stove and I'm here to tell to you to contact Harman about this issue. Let us know the out come. I will send you a PM.

What we had here was a failure to communicate. The story in summary:

- The dealer said this used unit has a two-year warranty.
- I called the manufacturer to verify by the serial number. Harman Rep 1 said, "There are no transferrable warranties for used units. That unit should have been sent back to the factory because of issues leading the first owner to return it."
- I cried foul, received wise counsel from the forum, and returned to the dealer for an explanation.
- The dealer said, "That's not what they told us. Let's call Harman together."
- Harman Rep 2 clarified that a refurbished unit does have a two-year warranty. Turns out I originally asked the wrong question, saying "used" instead of "refurbished".
- I apologized to everyone for their trouble and the dealer gave me a list of the parts replaced during the refurbishing process.

Granted, Harman Rep 1 could have figured out what I mean by asking the right questions. Oh well. So Harman appliances' warranties are not transferrable unless the property changes hands but the stove stays in place. However, a unit refurbished by a recognized dealer is sold with the same warranty as a new unit. Harman Rep 2 explained that they must have the dealers refurbish whenever possible because of limited space at Harman's facilities.

So thanks all for giving advice and sharing indignation. Nothing worth getting excited about after all!

Last edited:
Reactions: Owen1508
Got the details straightened out. Now hope the dealer knows what or how. Proof of the quality of thier work will soon be found out as it seems cool weather is coming far to soon.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
What we had here was a failure to communicate. The story in summary:

- The dealer said this used unit has a two-year warranty.
- I called the manufacturer to verify by the serial number. Harman Rep 1 said, "There are no transferrable warranties for used units. That unit should have been sent back to the factory because of issues leading the first owner to return it."
- I cried foul, received wise counsel from the forum, and returned to the dealer for an explanation.
- The dealer said, "That's not what they told us. Let's call Harman together."
- Harman Rep 2 clarified that a refurbished unit does have a two-year warranty. Turns out I originally asked the wrong question, saying "used" instead of "refurbished".
- I apologized to everyone for their trouble and the dealer gave me a list of the parts replaced during the refurbishing process.

Granted, Harman Rep 1 could have figured out what I mean by asking the right questions. Oh well. So Harman appliances' warranties are not transferrable unless the property changes hands but the stove stays in place. However, a unit refurbished by a recognized dealer is sold with the same warranty as a new unit. Harman Rep 2 explained that they must have the dealers refurbish whenever possible because of limited space at Harman's facilities.

So thanks all for giving advice and sharing indignation. Nothing worth getting excited about after all!
Great news then, you have a warranty.

refurb's are almost always better than new, because someone actually took the time and fixed the problems and vetted it working. plus, it's cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.