Got Solar Quotes and Have a Couple of Generic Questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, now I want that giant green screwdriver. Could you elaborate on ground screws??

Yes some brands are intended for solid rock conditions. This type here is more like a giant roto-hammer and Tapcon screw. They have units like this scattered around the country. The job above was at a friends place above Utica, NY. I think he paid $125.00 per installed post. Compared to digging, pouring concrete with an anchor bracket, etc. it was very price competitive.

The screws turned it into a one day installation for the rack system.

Most of the larger solar installers have access to these machines, call or google around.

One installation in Germany along the autobahn they hung one of these small mini excavator rigs, with a cable, from a larger cat above the hillside. The were able to mount a large PV array on a steep, rock cliff along the highway.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-06-29 at 7.12.58 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-06-29 at 7.12.58 AM.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 204
How does one find more information about them in the US? My searches found them in Tasmania, Germany and South Africa, but not in the states. Can you provide some company names or links for US suppliers and rental companies?

How does one find more information about them in the US? My searches found them in Tasmania, Germany and South Africa, but not in the states. Can you provide some company names or links for US suppliers and rental companies?

I've talked with some of these companies at the various trade shows. I think it was TerraSmart that has equipment across the country. Looks like plenty of You Tube stuff to go through also online. I googled solar ground screw installation.

I'd contact all of them and ask for contacts near you. Usually companies that have special trades like this network across the country.

Buzz at Northwest Mechanical is a friend of mine in your area that installs solar try him. www.nwmechanical.com

Here are some others to look into;

www.terrasmart.com
www.orionsolarracking.com
www.sseenterprise.com

Thanks, I'll check them out!

Did you ever decide to sign the contract and get one installed?

Its been a good summer for solar. Last month I banked 200 KW and hope to get another 200 this month

Nope. Don't think I want it on the roof and don't think backyard is suitable, but may get another quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.