1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Got some almond, but..

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Mr A, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    I picked up an easy score of a truckload of almond wood. There was a forked piece of trunk or branch, it was heavy, I dropped it and the fork had some rot, full of wood dirt and COCKROACHES! UUUGH! I hate those damn bugs. When I dropped it, they all scattered like they do and disappeared. I probably brought a bunch home with me. I sprayed the wood with Spectracide, hope it helps. I wont be bringing that wood in unless it goes straight into the fire.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. arngnick

arngnick Member

Loc:
    Mansfield, PA
    Ugh...Glad I don't have to bother with that here in PA. From what I understand it is constant battle with those things down there
  3. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    When you have cockroaches you know it! And not just the one you saw. Wonder if they were living on almond nuts. There must be something in almond they like, I've picked up a lot of wood and this the only load with roaches in it. I've seen borers, grubs, wasps, ants, termites, lizards, snakes but never roaches. Hopefully after knocking it several times before I put it in my truck,splitting and stacking they will move on and not into my house! There will be eggs, I'm sure. There is a weird, clear sticky goo on some of the pieces.
  4. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Got a line on some Almond orchards coming down in the Sacramento area.......you are making me not want to get em, Roaches....ugh
  5. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    This was out of the back of a tree service truck, in the middle of Davis. There was an old metal shed in the truck also. If anone has seen cockroaches in tree wood please chime in. I am thinking it had something to do with the shed and all the crap in it. Hey, care to throw a bone? I scrounge Sacramento, Yolo, Placer, Sutter, Yuba, El Dorado, Amador counties and anywhere else I happen to be. Gold mine of free wood
  6. geoff1969

geoff1969 Member

Loc:
    australia
    yeh get a few of them , usualy between the loose bark and wood itself .
  7. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    I tell ya what.....when I end up going down I will let you know. This score could be huge....also have a line on a place in Pleasanton, the guy has 50 cords of wood that is already split, there is a lot of hardwood in there including Blue Gum Eucalyptus which from all accounts burns very, very well, Oak, Walnut and then some other mixed wood. Most is already seasoned too. He charges $100 for all you can take in a single load, so if you can get a big truck it may be well worth it, message me if you are interested.
  8. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Are they what I call "wood roaches," not the regular German Cockroach that you would see indoors ( and fear an infestation of?) I don't worry about the wood roaches at all. If one should ride in on a piece of wood, I trap it in a jar and toss it back outside.
  9. Buckeye 2012

Buckeye 2012 New Member

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    I brought home a load of red oak last year that had wood roaches crawling all over it. I spray Talstar around my wood pile and and house monthly. Keeps any type of bug out. If you don't like pesticides go with Boric Acid around your pile.
  10. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    They looked like cockroaches to me, I didn't know there was a difference
  11. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Need to be quick & capture one. Have it ID'd.

I'd spray either way. Wouldn't want to have them in the stacks or wood shed.
  12. Buckeye 2012

Buckeye 2012 New Member

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    Wood roaches are about quarter the size of the normal house roach. Not that it really matters to the wife a roach is a roach. Try to explain the difference... As long as you are treating around your house you will never have a problem. It is ok to do some fine spray of talstar on the wood pile. This will kill all them within hours. The half life of the talstar or other chemical is very short meaning by the time you burn you would have nothing left on the wood.
  13. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania
    Don't have any Almond here in Pennsylvania that I know about or have access to-what is it like for firewood?
  14. Woody Stover

Loc:
    Southern IN
    The wood roaches here look like the one on the left...they live outside.
    Wood roach.JPG
  15. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Great hardwood. Comparable to Oak
  16. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    The one on the left I would have called a beetle. Eh.you say roach I say beetle, let's call the whole thing off
  17. Woody Stover

Loc:
    Southern IN
    I would have called it a beetle but it didn't look like a Volkswagen to me... ==c
    ArsenalDon likes this.
  18. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    they looked like the big black one ,lower right, or the smaller brown one upper left. They looked like what dropping a handfull of dried beans on the floor would, then they disappear to who knows where.