Got some almond, but..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
I picked up an easy score of a truckload of almond wood. There was a forked piece of trunk or branch, it was heavy, I dropped it and the fork had some rot, full of wood dirt and COCKROACHES! UUUGH! I hate those damn bugs. When I dropped it, they all scattered like they do and disappeared. I probably brought a bunch home with me. I sprayed the wood with Spectracide, hope it helps. I wont be bringing that wood in unless it goes straight into the fire.

Ugh...Glad I don't have to bother with that here in PA. From what I understand it is constant battle with those things down there

When you have cockroaches you know it! And not just the one you saw. Wonder if they were living on almond nuts. There must be something in almond they like, I've picked up a lot of wood and this the only load with roaches in it. I've seen borers, grubs, wasps, ants, termites, lizards, snakes but never roaches. Hopefully after knocking it several times before I put it in my truck,splitting and stacking they will move on and not into my house! There will be eggs, I'm sure. There is a weird, clear sticky goo on some of the pieces.

Got a line on some Almond orchards coming down in the Sacramento area.......you are making me not want to get em, Roaches....ugh

Got a line on some Almond orchards coming down in the Sacramento area.......you are making me not want to get em, Roaches....ugh
This was out of the back of a tree service truck, in the middle of Davis. There was an old metal shed in the truck also. If anone has seen cockroaches in tree wood please chime in. I am thinking it had something to do with the shed and all the crap in it. Hey, care to throw a bone? I scrounge Sacramento, Yolo, Placer, Sutter, Yuba, El Dorado, Amador counties and anywhere else I happen to be. Gold mine of free wood

This was out of the back of a tree service truck, in the middle of Davis. There was an old metal shed in the truck also. If anone has seen cockroaches in tree wood please chime in. I am thinking it had something to do with the shed and all the crap in it. Hey, care to throw a bone? I scrounge Sacramento, Yolo, Placer, Sutter, Yuba, El Dorado, Amador counties and anywhere else I happen to be. Gold mine of free wood
I tell ya what.....when I end up going down I will let you know. This score could be huge....also have a line on a place in Pleasanton, the guy has 50 cords of wood that is already split, there is a lot of hardwood in there including Blue Gum Eucalyptus which from all accounts burns very, very well, Oak, Walnut and then some other mixed wood. Most is already seasoned too. He charges $100 for all you can take in a single load, so if you can get a big truck it may be well worth it, message me if you are interested.

Are they what I call "wood roaches," not the regular German Cockroach that you would see indoors ( and fear an infestation of?) I don't worry about the wood roaches at all. If one should ride in on a piece of wood, I trap it in a jar and toss it back outside.

I brought home a load of red oak last year that had wood roaches crawling all over it. I spray Talstar around my wood pile and and house monthly. Keeps any type of bug out. If you don't like pesticides go with Boric Acid around your pile.

Are they what I call "wood roaches," not the regular German Cockroach that you would see indoors ( and fear an infestation of?) I don't worry about the wood roaches at all. If one should ride in on a piece of wood, I trap it in a jar and toss it back outside.
They looked like cockroaches to me, I didn't know there was a difference

Need to be quick & capture one. Have it ID'd.

I'd spray either way. Wouldn't want to have them in the stacks or wood shed.

Wood roaches are about quarter the size of the normal house roach. Not that it really matters to the wife a roach is a roach. Try to explain the difference... As long as you are treating around your house you will never have a problem. It is ok to do some fine spray of talstar on the wood pile. This will kill all them within hours. The half life of the talstar or other chemical is very short meaning by the time you burn you would have nothing left on the wood.

Don't have any Almond here in Pennsylvania that I know about or have access to-what is it like for firewood?

The wood roaches here look like the one on the left...they live outside.
Wood roach.JPG

Don't have any Almond here in Pennsylvania that I know about or have access to-what is it like for firewood?
Great hardwood. Comparable to Oak

The one on the left I would have called a beetle. Eh.you say roach I say beetle, let's call the whole thing off
I would have called it a beetle but it didn't look like a Volkswagen to me... ==c

Reactions: ArsenalDon
they looked like the big black one ,lower right, or the smaller brown one upper left. They looked like what dropping a handfull of dried beans on the floor would, then they disappear to who knows where.

Status
Not open for further replies.