Got some fir logs to split....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the birch bark as well. Heres a pile of bark that we keep for the fire pit. The kids throw it in the fire and watch it curl up as it burns. Sometimes they will get it to curl tightly around a poker stick and then its like a torch. The second picture is a split from yesterdays wood getting. Its from the top of a broken fir (notice the grey side that was exposed to the sun). Since its nice and dry I will be putting it in the wood stove in about 20 minutes.

Attachments

• April 26, 2015.JPG
    April 26, 2015.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 88
  • April 26, 2015 4.JPG
    April 26, 2015 4.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 88
Earlier this week a friend of mine unloaded 15 rounds of Douglas fir in front of my shed.

Quick question, does that wood stink like bad cheese when split? I think I have one of those in my pile and it smells awful when split.

Quick question, does that wood stink like bad cheese when split? I think I have one of those in my pile and it smells awful when split.

The stinkiest wood I've every split is pin oak. Smells like dog$h!t IMO.

Agreed. I used to stack tight but now I prefer lots of space between my splits to allow for air flow.

Grandma used to say - "stack it so a squirrel can run through it, but the dog can't"

Reactions: Seanm
No. Doug Fir smells very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.