Got some more processed today.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paul bunion

Minister of Fire
Apr 3, 2013
NJ
Morning:

IMGP9510.JPG

Evening:IMGP9518.JPG

Lot of rounds.

IMGP9516.JPG

5 pieces left to cut. That last big oak log sitting up on the beech and a small piece of cherry is 16' long and 24" at the butt end. It ought to yield close to 1/2 cord by itself. The rest wont add up to much. I know I spend a lot of time getting the logs onto my driveway for cutting, but it pays dividends when it comes to cleanup in the end. Sweeping up the dirveway is vastly easier than getting the chips and dust out of the lawn. When I have to cut on the lawn I put the sheet of plywood down to catch the chips. I'll finish making rounds tomorrow, and then on to turing roundsville into splitsville next weekend.

You are getting after it. Very productive Saturday !
Nice that the rain stopped ;)

Thats quit a pile of wood chips with a variety of wood types.
Soon it will be "splitting time " :)

You should have had that done by lunch. You must have spent too much time on the sliding board. :p

You should have had that done by lunch. You must have spent too much time on the sliding board. :p

Just messin with ya Paul B. Nice pile and welcome to the herd.

nicely done. Thats a lot of wood for one day. How is your back, knees and toes doing today?

Nice work, Paul. Can't wait to see the pile split stack from that.
Just me, of course, but I wouldn't bother stacking the rounds if I was planning to split within a couple days of cutting.

Nice work, Paul. Can't wait to see the pile split stack from that.
Just me, of course, but I wouldn't bother stacking the rounds if I was planning to split within a couple days of cutting.
If it was still winter I wouldn't either, but I wanted to minimize the damage to the lawn now that things are growing again. I also plan to run the splitter in the driveway, so I won't be pushing them back when splitting day comes. And I won't be bending over to pick up the stacked rounds when splitting them, that work has been done.

Well, what works, works.
I have an area to the side of the drive solely for processing logs, and the whole drive is gravel.
I'd need to modify my process if I had to worry about a lawn, or neighbors.
Git 'er done and post more pics.....we're waiting.==c
popcorn.gif

Well organized play area for you and the kids.

Here you go. First step done on a little less than 2.5 gallons of mix and some bar oil. So I'm into this load for about $15 and some sweat. Looks to me like 5 or so cords. 2 on the smaller pile and 3 on the bigger one, maybe more. I'll probably get into some of the ash late next winter, the rest ought to get me into the beginning of the winter of 15/16. Note my compost/woodchip pile in the background of 9520. 7 full trash cans went onto it today.

My hand splitting days are over. I ordered an electric 15 ton Horizontal/Vertical Ram Splitter, it should come this week. The electric splitter seems to make sense for me even though they are not inexpensive. No gas engine to maintain. I'll give it occasional, but hard use when it does get used and I'll always be next to electricity. Quiet for the yard, I'll be able to listen to tunes while running it. I thought of a rental but I have no trailer hitch, and I'd rather save the favor for borrowing a friends truck. Nor will I need to do a rental splitter marathon session.

Attachments

• IMGP9519.JPG
    IMGP9519.JPG
    362.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMGP9520.JPG
    IMGP9520.JPG
    450.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMGP9521.JPG
    IMGP9521.JPG
    415.7 KB · Views: 80
Very nice neat organized work space.
Gonna keep you in wood for a while ;)

Nice choice on the splitter
A review & some pictures coming soon ? :)

I here you about the hand splitting...it only took me a little over 25 years to wise up and now I don't know why I waited so long. Of course there is a draw back I don't know when to stop haulin home the rounds.

Nice work!

Great pictures and job too. Hydraulic splitter you'll enjoy it, at least I do more.

Nice work Paul. You are well organized. It also appears you've stole my cant hook! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.