Got some red oak split for next winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tons of dead oak on my property that are all about that size or larger. I have been splitting it all by hand and hauling it back to the house. There is no way you can lift it, I guess you could roll it to a splitter, but I am putting off getting one until I have to. I find Oak splits better than most wood, being straight grained. Some pieces are tough. Enjoy, and good luck with the drying, that is the pain with green oak.

Backwoods Savage said:
rdust said:
Nice looking wood! I think you're off by a season though, this wood may be ready for 2012-2013 season. :)

+1

+2

Also, why don't you try a new chain, they are pretty cheap on Ebay for new ones, even Husqvarna and Stihl brands. I bought several spares 20 inch for about $13 a piece. I put a new chain on and it was pretty amazing. I cut up three times as much as I could normally cut with my hand sharpened and Harbor Freight Chain saw sharpener could get a chain. If that dulls quick then you know you have some other issue.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Also, why don't you try a new chain, they are pretty cheap on Ebay for new ones, even Husqvarna and Stihl brands. I bought several spares 20 inch for about $13 a piece. I put a new chain on and it was pretty amazing. I cut up three times as much as I could normally cut with my hand sharpened and Harbor Freight Chain saw sharpener could get a chain. If that dulls quick then you know you have some other issue.
That fact annoys the heck out of me, had one of my chains sharpened a couple of years ago and it cut the wood like butter and did not look all that different than mine but it was like night and day.

Status
Not open for further replies.