Got some wood! saddly it's green...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin*

Burning Hunk
Nov 29, 2011
SNOHOMISH, WA
I think it's western hemlock, if i'm wrong let me know. Found it blown over and leaning into some other tree's right over our trail so it had to come down. Going to cut and split it up in the next days. Wonder how fast i can get this stuff ready to burn...2 months?
I will post more pix after i get it cut/split and stacked.
IMG-20111212-00072.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20111212-00072.jpg
    IMG-20111212-00072.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 510
Looks like an elm.

Yep looks like elm and nope to 2 months unless you have a kiln or greenhouse or a corner in hell to get it dry. Not sure how fast it would dry in a room with the wood burner and small splits.

Splitting small cross stacking on pallets and putting them on the top shelf in the warehouse, it's pretty dry and warm up there. Bought a cheese-ball Ebay moister meter so i will check it now and in a month to see how it's doing.

My Hearth is pretty big and i could dry it next to the stove but i don't have any wood yet. I'm going to have to buck up and buy some. It's slightly scary because a cord is going for $250 in these parts, that's soft woods too!

Not elm, Hard to see the leaves on the tree (blurry) but based on what I can see from the leaves and bark and the tight heart wood I would say yes to hemlock. Used to hate to peel that stuff at the plywood mill. Tight curly heartwood was a pain. But it should be on par with Doug fir for BTU's. Which pops and cracks a bit but burns well.

When you split it, if the bark has lots of cool looking purple color, you are probably right it's western hemlock. Hemlock smoke out the chimney has a very fragrant and pleasant smell to it. If the wood is wet now, two months is not enough for seasoning in a warm, dry, windless warehouse. If the wood is feeling pretty dry and light, it might be ready in that time. Next fall, it will be great wood.

Oregon Bigfoot

I don't see western trees enough to help with ID, but I'd say it won't be really ready until next year.

2 months is pretty wishful thinking.
Look fresh cut. Maybe 6 month during summer, but you location,
during the winter isn't made for drying wood, it'll be ready next burn season though.
Nice score :)

oldspark said:
Yep looks like elm and nope to 2 months unless you have a kiln or greenhouse or a corner in hell to get it dry. Not sure how fast it would dry in a room with the wood burner and small splits.

Never thought of trying to get a corner in hell to help dry wood! Oak would probably still take two years.

Monday i thought i could check the wood to see where it's at. Mainly because the wood i got off CL is mostly crap, sounds like i'm cooking a big 'ol fat steak inside my stove! so i split a few open and checked them, wow! this looks good, i took home 1 pallet and it's tons better. I pulled the rest today, only about 1/4 cord in total but it's a good 1/4 cord. most of the wood is below 12% due to most of the splits being on the very small side. the biggest one's were at 14%.

Just 1 month on the top shelf next to the heater dries it out pretty fast.

Looks like you have a system, a good system that works! Good for you. How much can you fit up there to dry at one time?

I need to get me a warehouse.

without impacting work stuff i would say about 10 cords on the top shelfving, which is best spot since it nice and warm up there. got another 7000sq ft that pretty much empty but there's no shelving over there.
Now it's time to go get some wood from the nearest national forest, which is a PITA but the cheapest short of free.

That's a great seasoning system! Best winter seasoning I've seen. Hemlock is good Pacific Northwest wood, just behind Douglas Fir and Maple, and a little better than Alder, in my opinion.

Nice scrounge & nice drying system.
In 2 month you may not need much wood, but at the rate of drying you are getting, it might be ready if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.