Got started splitting today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Wright

Minister of Fire
Dec 26, 2013
Delaware
www.nwedj.com
Sure is nice to get some wood exercise again. :)

With a break in the rain I hauled the splitter out and got busy on a stack of rounds from tops that had been blown out last year. It's all red maple. I'll stack it and get to work on the rest later.

100_1965.JPG 100_1966.JPG 100_1967.JPG

I split and stacked most of my pin oak score yesterday, and I stacked the cherry I split a month ago. Finished the oak today then started on my pile of ash and hackberry rounds. Probably spent over 6-7 hours between the 2 days, maybe 2+ cord, and I'm feeling it. Feels great!!

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Good job, looks great. I just said to the wife awhile ago "I'm usually either done splitting or close to it by now", but I haven't been able to do anything yet thanks to our crazy weather. Haven't had an outdoor soccer practice yet either, and I usually have had at least 2 by now too....

I have a feeling that the wood isn't going anywhere, it's just waiting for me saying "c'mon, let's go" :) The stove is rolling today but it looks like we might FINALLY start to warm up next week; this weather is whacked !

Reactions: D8Chumley
I'm about a week or two away from really getting back into it. Spent last Tuesday splitting 2 face cords of Maple for about 4 hours. Filled up my side wall in the garage. It's 6' high by 11' long. Glad I beat the rain.

I also just started splitting this 27'x30'x7' pile today. I got about 1 cord split/stacked and then laid out where I was going to put the rest of it. I was hoping to get a couple cords done tomorrow, but it's supposed to rain/freezing rain here tomorrow so I don't think I'll be splitting again until next weekend.

IMG_0724.JPG

I started working on my log pile a few days ago, and then it snowed. Just slip slided up the hill on the way home.

Looks Great! I hope to have some time next week to get out and split.

Its been extremely mild in the Canadian Rockies so I'm able to get ahead of things earlier this year. I picked up a truck load out in the bush of green birch and fir and also dropped a smallish standing dead larch the other day. I moisture metered the larch and it was 22% on the outside and 19% on the inside. The green fir was 29% and the green birch was 39%. I brought it home and split it. Now its time to stack it. Normally we are mired in heavy, deep snow for another month but things are weird here this year.

The ground is just soaked still. Be glad to see a week without moisture. The north side of my house is still frozen. It is 20 degrees this morning. I'm caught up on my splitting, so I should start my scrounging. So I can start some more splitting:). My wife thinks I'm crazy, she says I complain about splitting ALL that wood. I don't want her to know its too much fun. :cool:

The ground is just soaked still. Be glad to see a week without moisture. The north side of my house is still frozen. It is 20 degrees this morning. I'm caught up on my splitting, so I should start my scrounging. So I can start some more splitting:). My wife thinks I'm crazy, she says I complain about splitting ALL that wood. I don't want her to know its too much fun. :cool:

We are lucky here, because we had hardly any snow this year everything is pretty dry compared to normal for this time of year.

It's gettin' there. :)

Spent part of Saturday working on the pile of rounds. Was hoping to get the garden tilled this weekend but Friday's rain nixed that.

100_1972.JPG 100_1973.JPG 100_1974.JPG

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.