Got the dead one down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I wanted this tree down (it was dead) but with the bad hip and leg I just was not comfortable yet in felling a tree. So, neighbor to the rescue. He dropped it while I kept watch, especially when the tree fell. Lots of dead stuff up there and it looked like a couple other trees would throw some dead limbs right at us. Fortunately, the did not fly. So I am very relieved to get this thing on the ground. Hopefully I can maybe give it a try to run the saw very soon.

Pinoakdown-1.gif

Just look at all the trimming that has to be done on this thing.

Pinoakdown-2.gif

In the end we should get a pretty good amount of wood from this tree and it will be good wood too. Although the tree was dead it was not that far gone so I do not think anything will be thrown away except for the brush.

As you can see, we don't have much snow left now. We've had a couple nice days for thawing and today it even got over 40 degrees!!! Of course I'd feel even better if the temperature was up around 60 but will have to wait for that.

Nice stump...You put a tape on it?

Jay, I thought about the tape.....when I was back there. I might get back there tomorrow and if so I'll put a tape to it. I don't think it is much over 30" though if that.

Sweet, That's a nice amount of btu's there. What type of tree was it?

It is a pin oak. Notice all the branches, especially the ones that point down near the butt of the tree. That is typical of pin oak. They die but even after dieing they still hold on tight and can be tough to cut. Really hard stuff. I am a bit concerned because this is the second pin oak that has died here on our place. I hope some bug has not gotten into them.

Backwoods Savage said:
It is a pin oak. Notice all the branches, especially the ones that point down near the butt of the tree. That is typical of pin oak. They die but even after dieing they still hold on tight and can be tough to cut. Really hard stuff. I am a bit concerned because this is the second pin oak that has died here on our place. I hope some bug has not gotten into them.

:( Oak wilt??? http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_oakwilt/toc.htm#symptoms

The map on that webpage is 13 years old and only the very southern part of the UP showed signs of wilt on it.

Ed

ETA: That's gonna be a bunch of good burning wood.....14/15???

Ed, to my knowledge all the oak wilt is quite some distance from us so I doubt it. For sure I hope not.

Jay and I were just discussing all the limbs on your pin oak in another thread. I'm certainly glad that the black oak don't have that many branches! What a mess.

You are certainly right about that quads. I like to use them for setting tree stands but it is lots and lots and lots of work getting one ready. Lots of trimming and cutting all those dead limbs with a hand saw is just too much work. But if you can get up one you have lots of cover!

Backwoods Savage said:
Ed, to my knowledge all the oak wilt is quite some distance from us so I doubt it. For sure I hope not.

We are see quite a bit in northwest lower Mi. Where abouts are you at??

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1301623921"]I wanted this tree down (it was dead) but with the bad hip and leg I just was not comfortable yet in felling a tree. So, neighbor to the rescue. He dropped it while I kept watch, especially when the tree fell. Lots of dead stuff up there and it looked like a couple other trees would throw some dead limbs right at us. Fortunately, the did not fly. So I am very relieved to get this thing on the ground. Hopefully I can maybe give it a try to run the saw very soon.

Sav nice size tree, with all the dead branches it reminds me of some dead white pine we have.

Zap

Sad to see an oak have to go down but it'll make some nice firewood. I burned a load or two of my oak this season and was pretty impressed with the difference over the ash I primarily burned. I have about 4 cords of oak right now that will be 30+ months seasoned come next season. Those couple loads burned good this season, I can't wait to see how it burns with another summer of seasoning.

If you need a hand remember to let me know!

"Chain saw with-drawls" eh?
Bet the smell of the fresh cut wood was nice to smell again.
Looks like having help on that one was a good thing anyway, some one to watch for "head knockers"
Glad it's down. It'll still be good wood in a few weeks, sharpen the saw or something till then.
Glad you're getting in the woods. Spring is almost here.

Sounds like you have a good neighbor and looks like it was a great day to be outside. Another cord on the wood pile never hurt either.

A friend told me he read in a farm magazine that most of are trees are in trouble due to multipe species of bugs. Sounds like we may be in serious trouble. Oaks, maples, ash, pines and others
could all be gone years down the road.

Yup there's several here in Iowa,in varying amounts of severity & location.

Oak Wilt - Occurs mostly in Red & Black Oaks,scattered state wide.
Bur Oak Blight - Recently found in a few western counties not far from Missouri River.Bur Oaks affected mostly,a few White Oaks have been reported also.
Emerald Ash Borer - First found in Allamakee County in extreme NE IA last Fall,so far no reports of it spreading.But its expected to increase this year.
Butternut Canker - Since its discovery in 1967 has wiped out up to 90% of Butternuts in several states in the Midwest,North & Northeast US.Not much growing here,scattered stands in Eastern Iowa have been hit pretty hard in recent years.

nrford said:
Backwoods Savage said:

We are see quite a bit in northwest lower Mi. Where abouts are you at??

Marion Springs area. We're about 30-35 miles from Saginaw.

rdust said:
Sad to see an oak have to go down but it'll make some nice firewood. I burned a load or two of my oak this season and was pretty impressed with the difference over the ash I primarily burned. I have about 4 cords of oak right now that will be 30+ months seasoned come next season. Those couple loads burned good this season, I can't wait to see how it burns with another summer of seasoning.

If you need a hand remember to let me know!

rdust, thank you so much for the offer on the help. I thought about you even before we got it down and if I can't get this thing taken care of very well may give you a call.

bogydave said:
"Chain saw with-drawls" eh?
Bet the smell of the fresh cut wood was nice to smell again.
Looks like having help on that one was a good thing anyway, some one to watch for "head knockers"
Glad it's down. It'll still be good wood in a few weeks, sharpen the saw or something till then.
Glad you're getting in the woods. Spring is almost here.

Dave, I had to see the surgery doc this morning and my plan was to see if I could get started with some of the limbing. That plan has changed a bit though and I'll be taking it easy today.....but not by choice. But yes, it is good to get out in the woods and good to see a tree falling again. I'm anxious to get it cut up.

Thanks to all for their thoughts. I may still try to get back there this afternoon if only to put a tape on it to check the size. I will not be taking the saw though.

I also have to tell everyone that for the first time today I heard the spring frogs! My wife has been telling me about hearing them but I kept telling her she doesn't know what they sound like because I could not hear them. When we stopped at the bank this morning she said she could hear frogs again. "You're nuts!" says I. Well, I drove to the back of the lot and sure enough, there was that welcome sound. Guess my hearing is not as good as it once was...

And to think, we still have snow but the little critters are awake anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.