Got the first whiff of the black locust I’m burning today...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

staplebox

Jan 2, 2008
Eastern CT
I went out back a few minutes ago and the wind was such that I got a whiff of the black locust I've been burning for the first time. I'm surprised the neighbors haven't been over to complain yet. This is some really smelly wood. It's kinda hard to describe the smell. It's just pungent and unpleasant. Maybe a hint of a skunk.

It sure is not the best smelling wood to burn , but the burn times and btu value makes it hard to beat, I cut more black locust this year than any other wood , it's is to split and it seems to dry pretty good, keep burning it dude, they will get use to it.

It's kinda like getting a wiff of coal. Both are very distinctive smells. ............. Well, they just both down right stink.

Hey o westkywood, see you are from western kentucky, what county do you live in ? use to do some deer hunting in ohio and logan counties, sure is some pretty country, I live in harlan county way back in the woods, good to see some good old country southern boys on here.

Whewweee! I can smell it from here. Better send it to me for proper disposal. :)

I try to mix it with something else (oak or ash). I think the smell is better and I also think it burns better

My neighbor fired his stove up last night. It made me run to the basement thinking i had something wrong. I don't know what he's burning but it always stinks, i mean bad. It smells in my house. But i won't complain, everyone around me burns wood, it's kinda cool, there's 10 houses on our lane and everyone one has smoke coming from the chimneys right now.

Yeah it does stink, you get a wiff when you open the stove door sometimes. It is worth the stink it is good sh#t

staplebox said:
I went out back a few minutes ago and the wind was such that I got a whiff of the black locust I've been burning for the first time. I'm surprised the neighbors haven't been over to complain yet. This is some really smelly wood. It's kinda hard to describe the smell. It's just pungent and unpleasant. Maybe a hint of a skunk.

The town where I live has a papermil. Locals say that the smell from the mill is $$money$$. Locust to me is GOLD. If Yoda were a wood burning fool, he'd say mmmmmmm, locust good!

Enjoy the smell and heat!
Bill

SpeakEasy said:
When my cat is glowing, the smell outside is sort of ... well ... hard to describe. But maybe "burnt smoke" would be a stab at it?

-Speak

I get that same kind of burnt smell outside sometimes from my stove. I've described it as hot metal before but it's not like the smell of a really hot stove. I think it might be from the stove pipe because I've had the smell from both stoves I've owned and used the same pipe on both. I will replace my pipe before next burning season and see that makes a difference.

Ive heard some say its the bark of the locust that smells. Most of my locust doesn't have bark, so I don't know.

Can't be much worse than Aspen. Mines pretty acrid, but that could be the chipmunk/squirrel/mouse pee also.

madrone said:
I'd rather stink them out with locust than cottonwood.
im looking forward to buring that cottonwood in a couple years. everytime i walk by it smells like i stepped in dog crap.

I have never burned locust, but I have some honey locust in storage for next season. Does honey locust smell bad like black locust?

Never burned any Black Locust so I cant say about the smell.But I have a fair amount of Honey Locust over the years.It has no disagreeable smell that I noticed.Its definetely worth the wait for burning.A bit denser than Red/Black Oak,right up there with White/Bur Oak & Hickory.Very hot & clean burning,with sometimes a deep blue flame,like a gas flame almost.Leaves very little ash.

I am burning a good bit of black locust right now. Actually, what I am burning now is in my avatar picture. For me, our house is on top of a hill with a second story chimney and the wind comes out of the west strong. EPA stove - I don't even see smoke nor do I smell any. I have smelled alittle bark smoke back puffing when I opened to reload and yes - it smells like a grateful dead concert.

One thing I have noticed about black locust - is all the tiny little splinters you get in your hands just from handling the splits. Mine is super dry.

free73degrees said:
I have never burned locust, but I have some honey locust in storage for next season. Does honey locust smell bad like black locust?

I don't think you will find the honey locust smell offensive. Or at least I never have, but to be truthful - I very rarely smell anything from my stack, even when I am out and about all day. Hmmm...

basswidow said:
I am burning a good bit of black locust right now. Actually, what I am burning now is in my avatar picture. For me, our house is on top of a hill with a second story chimney and the wind comes out of the west strong. EPA stove - I don't even see smoke nor do I smell any. I have smelled alittle bark smoke back puffing when I opened to reload and yes - it smells like a grateful dead concert.

One thing I have noticed about black locust - is all the tiny little splinters you get in your hands just from handling the splits. Mine is super dry.

Yup, with EPA stove happily burning thoroughly dry black locust, I hardly get any smell. Certainly nothing objectionable.
Yet another reason to be sure stove is burning properly. This wood is so good that I kiln-dry it, in effect, indoors for weeks.

Yup, the splinters are something else- like tool steel punji sticks. Almost invisible. Never drag your hand along the grain.

leeave96 said:
staplebox said:

The town where I live has a papermil. Locals say that the smell from the mill is $$money$$. Locust to me is GOLD. If Yoda were a wood burning fool, he'd say mmmmmmm, locust good!

Enjoy the smell and heat!
Bill

Not sure about the smell - not much black locust around here, but I am pretty sure that Yoda would have said 'mmmmmmmm, good locust is' - I think you need a relaxing night with some good old Star Wars on the tube! ;-P

You guys are lucky to have all these different hard woods, all we have is pine, cottonwood if you are lucky or juniper. All I can get for near nothing is pine. I did manage to score some cottonwood last year and it smelled like somebody peed on a hot stove. That wood was a mess to split as well.

This is an old thread... but I just got into my stack of BL today... I'll have to run out tomorrow and see if I can smell what you all are talking about. Mine is barkless so if its in the bark I guess I should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.