Got the Jotul F500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
Well it is in my house, it gave me the dickens when I was trying to get it in but I was able to do it. Just got the knobs and exhuast collar put on. Here are some pics. This is pretty much where it will go. Now to build a hearth pad and get the pipe hooked up. When we get cooler nights I will start having break in fires! Can't wait.

106_0795.jpg

106_0796.jpg

Read the manual, cover to cover first. Note that the side door needs to be locked in a corner installation. Also be careful to honor side clearances, especially window trim. It doesn't hurt to exceed these clearances and can give peace of mind, when the stove is really cranking.

As far as I read the side door must be 18 inches (measured from the legs) from any combustibles. For all installs and the corners must be 8 inches from walls. I have that and then some.

Definitly read the manual, then read it again. You will love the stove once you get use to it. One thing for sure is that the Oslo is "very" picky about the moisture content of your wood. Burn well seasoned wood and it'll surprise you at the amount of heat and the length of burns. Enjoy.
Hank

yes I have heard that about the moisture % of fire wood. Problem is that it has rained SO much this summer, I hope we have a dry august. I am starting to get a little nervous about my seasoning.

Question, I got this piece of sheet metal that has a small square hole and the edges are folded under like a Z. The manual makes no mention of what this is. Does anyone know what it is or is it just a packaging thing???

Your not talking about the rear heat sheild are you?
Hank

no, it is the bottom heat shield, I looked again to the explosion parts list. I am not sure I will need the bottom shield.

I'd put it on....you have to bend it where it is etched and remove the two bolts of the bottom that are set finger tight.

Congrats by the way, it'll look real sharp once the hearth is complete! I dont know about you, but my Oslo sure had a creepy way of staring me down just begging me to light her up when I first got it!

I remember my first break-in fire with my Oslo. Games 4 2004 ALCS Sox vs Yanks....made history that night.
Sweet pics!

Woodbutcher

skinnykid said:
As far as I read the side door must be 18 inches (measured from the legs) from any combustibles. For all installs and the corners must be 8 inches from walls. I have that and then some.

page 18:
* Use of the left side load door is prohibited in alcove or
corner installations. Use Side Door Lock Kit # 155850.

I'd lose the curtains on the right side window too.

mikepinto65 said:
I'd put it on....you have to bend it where it is etched and remove the two bolts of the bottom that are set finger tight.

Congrats by the way, it'll look real sharp once the hearth is complete! I dont know about you, but my Oslo sure had a creepy way of staring me down just begging me to light her up when I first got it!

I have no stove pipe or floor protection!

WOODBUTCHER said:
I remember my first break-in fire with my Oslo. Games 4 2004 ALCS Sox vs Yanks....made history that night.
Sweet pics!

Woodbutcher

REDSOX RULE!

BeGreen said:
skinnykid said:

page 18:

You are correct, thank you. But that is near combustable materials, which is what I have now but I was thinking of putting wall protection. Now I guess my mind is made up since one big reason I bought the stove is for side loading!

It's a very nice stove. We wanted to put in an Oslo in our corner installation but passed due to the side door restriction. These stoves are capable of creating a lot of heat.

BeGreen said:
It's a very nice stove. We wanted to put in an Oslo in our corner installation but passed due to the side door restriction. These stoves are capable of creating a lot of heat.

As far as Wall protection. The G/F really wants it for piece of mind, I will have to see what I can find for good looking tile and stuff.

skinnykid said:
BeGreen said:
skinnykid said:

page 18:

You are correct, thank you. But that is near combustable materials, which is what I have now but I was thinking of putting wall protection. Now I guess my mind is made up since one big reason I bought the stove is for side loading!

It clearly states in the manual that use of side door is prohibited in alcove or corner installation regardless or not of wall protection...... what it is telling you is that you have to have wall and floor protection and may not use the corner door.

I myself dont know that it would actually be the end of the world if you used it in an alcove. And I just might do so if that was my only place for the stove, and it wasnt too cramped a space makeing it unsafe to load the wood...... Just my 2cents

Beware skinnykid. Having an F500 installed can lead to hours of laying on the couch in front of the fire. Ask me, I know.

Congrats on the stove purchase . . . having burned for a year with the Oslo I have to say I've been very happy with it.

Personally, for the peace of mind I would put on your bottom heat shield and give yourself a few extra inches from the minimum installation distances . . . but that's just me.

For me the side door is crucial. Every time you open the front door you will have ash on the floor, the stove front and anywhere else it can flow. If it sounds like a mess, it is. Plus you must be sure the hearth extends the full depth of the open door and I think it much harder to load full length wood. But if you fudge and go against the stove manufacturers advice and have a fire!!?? One man's thoughts. Be safe.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.