Got the new Englander NC30, a couple of questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
Build date of 5/13.

Thanks to the help here, I had an NC30 delivered to my home after purchasing from home depot. Delivery guy was an awesome driver.

I had one broken brick. The upright one that has the corner cut off right behind the latch. No big deal, probably just leave it.

The other issue is the glass gasket. Is it supposed to be centered on the glass? Can the glass hold downs be loosened and the gasket reset? Any thoughts?

The stove was really heavy. I set it on the dolley myself with leverage as my only helper. It's not overly large but it sure seems to be built well. Love the door gasket and latch design.

I'll be planning/doing my framing tonight for the ceiling support box. Another thread to follow.

Attachments

• IMAG0809.jpg
    IMAG0809.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 772
  • IMAG0810.jpg
    IMAG0810.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 529
  • IMAG0811.jpg
    IMAG0811.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 470
  • IMAG0812.jpg
    IMAG0812.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 494
Reactions: Dix
You can reset it. But that is pretty much how both of mine look. Probably better to take the retainers off now and ease your mind now rather than later. Not as messy now.

BTW: Here's yer shirt.

englander t shirt.jpg

As long as some of the gasket is under the glass, I wouldn't mess with it. Mine is not centered but hasn't caused a problem ever.

I'd do a dozen or so burns, get a little used to the stove, and see if you have the tell-tale evidence of air leaking there (black on the glass). If you do, contact englander and ask them how to proceed (since it's under warranty).

Would hate to tell you to adjust that gasket, then break the glass, etc, etc, if it's not necessary.

Looking forward to seeing how you make out. Hope you have as good a luck as I have with mine.

You can take a flashlight and shine it in the channel between the front of the door and the glass. If you see gasket all the way around you are good to go.

The stove was really heavy.
Wha?!

With the firebrick removed this was the easiest stove I have ever moved. Even easier than the Intrepid since it still had the pedestal on it.

Also, my glass gasket looks identical to your pics.

I thought it was heavy moving it down the stairs on a dolly.

I never looked at the gasket. I lit it up figuring if it leaked I'd have a big black spot showing me where I needed to look.

Matt

congrats on the stove!

as for the brick behind the door latch its supposed to be cut off like that, if thats the brick you refer to as broken no worries, if you have a different one that is broken let me know and i'll replace it.

as for the glass gasket , as BB said if its seated properly with the gasket pinched between the door and the glass itself it will seal, but, as with the brick, if its not sealing or you have an issue with it let me know and i'll ship a replacement for it as well.

welcome to the ESW family, hope you enjoy the stove

Reactions: pen
congrats on the stove!

as for the brick behind the door latch its supposed to be cut off like that, if thats the brick you refer to as broken no worries, if you have a different one that is broken let me know and i'll replace it.

as for the glass gasket , as BB said if its seated properly with the gasket pinched between the door and the glass itself it will seal, but, as with the brick, if its not sealing or you have an issue with it let me know and i'll ship a replacement for it as well.

welcome to the ESW family, hope you enjoy the stove

Thank you Mike.

The broken brick is the one with the corner cut off. It's also broken but let's not worry about it now. On the glass gasket I will use the flashlight trick and even test burn it to check for leakage before I risk replacing. Neither of these things will prevent me from getting a fire going in this hoss of a stove.

Wha?!

With the firebrick removed this was the easiest stove I have ever moved. Even easier than the Intrepid since it still had the pedestal on it.

I did not remove anything from the stove. Last thing I wanted to do was take it apart. It was heavy, but not so heavy that I couldn't get it done by myself. Same thing happened with the lighter blaze king. I got it out of the truck and onto the hearth without removing anything.

When I go to elevate this thing and slide it onto an 18" tall hearth, I may consider lightening the stove. Or I may utilize hydraulics for the lifting.

Thank you Mike.

The broken brick is the one with the corner cut off. It's also broken but let's not worry about it now. On the glass gasket I will use the flashlight trick and even test burn it to check for leakage before I risk replacing. Neither of these things will prevent me from getting a fire going in this hoss of a stove.

tell ya what, click this link and fill it out and submit it, that way we can register the stove , in the comment box refer to the broken brick and we will get a replacement shipped out (easy peasy) if its broken and its new i would prefer to make it right by you. no big deal for me to do it.

here's the link
http://www.englanderstoves.com/warranty/warranty.html

Reactions: firefighterjake
Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Not to highjack/sabotage this thread but Mike - can I register my 30 through the link even though it has been installed a year? I never got that option with it upon delivery because the box was nuked and the paperwork a mess. Not Englanders fault - just the HD delivery crew I surmise. Either way - no big deal - I love this stove and all it has provided.

Not to highjack/sabotage this thread but Mike - can I register my 30 through the link even though it has been installed a year? I never got that option with it upon delivery because the box was nuked and the paperwork a mess. Not Englanders fault - just the HD delivery crew I surmise. Either way - no big deal - I love this stove and all it has provided.

yeah Bob , by all means! anyone who has bought one of my stoves can register that way the link is actually right off our website.

This sort of customer service makes me want to buy an Englander stove for my basement.

Cheers!

thanks setterp, appreciate that , but its actually not that big a deal, if ya look at the timestamp, i was at my desk when i was posting on this so i was "working" wink wink ;) i keep this site open on my second screen all day every day when im at my desk. gives my customers access to me without me actually having to "go out of my way"

frankly, im surprised that more of the manufacturers out there do not monitor and participate in this site(not a dig on them) but, its a HUGE potential gain for what amounts to very little work. (in the end though, i do it because its fun, if i sell a few more stoves i aint gonna turn it down), but the interest i have in burning is what keeps me here, not the paycheck, not the "kudo's" though i appreciate every one of them.

i just love what i do (and i get paid for it when im actually on the clock, cant beat that no matter how ya try) ==c

now i just gotta figure out how to get my boss to slide webbie some bucks for ad space (boss is tight about that stuff sometimes, but its his company)

the real "Kudo's" should go to craig, for building this site and making it such a great place to be. without his work, i'd not have the ability to do the things i do, nor would the rest of the great industry reps(of whom we have quite a few) who give their time to help the public on topics which fall within their expertise.

If it helps with your boss getting off some ad dollars I will second your influence on my purchase.

Build date of 5/13.

Thanks to the help here, I had an NC30 delivered to my home after purchasing from home depot. Delivery guy was an awesome driver.

I had one broken brick. The upright one that has the corner cut off right behind the latch. No big deal, probably just leave it.

The other issue is the glass gasket. Is it supposed to be centered on the glass? Can the glass hold downs be loosened and the gasket reset? Any thoughts?

The stove was really heavy. I set it on the dolley myself with leverage as my only helper. It's not overly large but it sure seems to be built well. Love the door gasket and latch design.

I'll be planning/doing my framing tonight for the ceiling support box. Another thread to follow.

The glass/gasket relationship is the same on my insert. Consider contacting ESW for a replacement fire brick

Highbeam - Congratulations on the new stove! Enjoy!

If it helps with your boss getting off some ad dollars I will second your influence on my purchase.

I am gonna send Ron a bill for a dollar a tee-shirt. ;lol

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.