1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Got the new Jotul 600 up and running!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Nick Mystic, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Nice stove, and nice place!
    Two questions:
    Why did you go with a "t" instead of an elbow? I would think an elbow would make for easier cleaning? Getting to that T looks like it ain't going to be fun.
    What is the piping running outside the house for? If it is for wood burning appliance, it doesn't look braced very well or plumb, and also does not look like it meets the 10/2/3 rule?
    Not knocking, just curious, and thinking about stability & safety.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Nick Mystic

Nick Mystic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    I went with a T- connector instead of an elbow because the T - connector allows any creosote that happens to fall down the liner to build up in the two inches below the T in the removable cap. I previously had a stove connected with a 90 elbow out the back of the stove and when some creosote flaked off the pipe and landed in the elbow between cleanings I ended up with a chimney fire when that pile of creosote ignited one day.

The pipe outside the house is a vent pipe for my propane hot water heater. It seems to pull a good draft and I've never had any problems with fumes in the garage. It was installed before I bought the house and the previous owner ran it like that for ten years, as well. I recently had the hot water tank replaced and the licensed plumber didn't say anything to me about it being a problem.
  3. Motor7

Motor7 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East TN.
    Nick..wow. Do you feel like you just discovered you had a case of old vintage nitro glycerin in the trunk of your car that had worn out shocks?
  4. bboulier

bboulier Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Virginia
  5. Nick Mystic

Nick Mystic Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    Do you mean, did I feel like I got lucky that my house didn't burn down from a creosote fuelled chimney fire ? If so , then the answer is ,yes !