Got the new Revere in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhuff29

Dec 18, 2010
Denver, CO
Well, got it installed yesterday just in time for the credit. I was at work and wife was upstairs during the install so not really sure how you can tell if its a good install or not. Little tough starting up since it is in the basement and the cold air pushing down. Got massive smoke in the basement, waited for it to clear then I tried flash fire further back and it worked a lot better!

The fan wasn't screwed in and wasn't kicking on. I screwed it to the stove and it started after 3 minutes. (By the way how cool does it have to get to shut off automatically?) I was hoping i could get it warm enough to heat the upstairs as well, but I don't think its going to work, can't get the hot air up the stairs. Guess I will have to have the furnace still going for that.

I don't have a thermometer yet, so can't tell how hot its going, so that is my next purchase. Any advice on what thermometer?

Also after a night burn, do you get a bunch of black on the window? Anyway to keep that off while you are asleep?

Overall very happy with the purchase, just afraid I will have to get a stove for upstairs as well....that is definitely not in the budget.

Attachments

• Lopi Revere.jpg
    Lopi Revere.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 577
Congratulations. Nice looking stove. Black glass usually indicates the fire is too cool. Try giving the fire a little more air for the overnight burn.

Ah, looks just like mine. Give your Revere some time...you two need to get to know each other. Mine is wonderful!
Keep your splits around 16-17 inches and keep them away from the glass... Also keep your temp up to keep it clean.
You'll get some darkening on the glass eventually no matter what, so I recommend getting a Magic Eraser and just clean it off.
Condar.com has great thermometers, a must have. Good luck and keep an eye on the forum, there's a load of information here!

Looks great! Are you still in your breakin burns, or full out?

Is your basement living space too?

We had the same issue last year with expecting the fan to kick on before we had it screwed to the stove. If you have it turned up high it doesn't turn off till it's below maybe 300, so yeah, it has to get pretty cool before it goes off. Put it on midway or lower and it will take more to turn it on I guess.

Congrats on the new stove it looks great! If you need your blower to run longer bypass the t-stat and it will run all the time.. All I have on my blower is a toggle switch and it works fine.. I wouldn't mind a t-stat just never bothered adding one..

Ray

Welcome to the forum mhuff29 !

If your basement/stoveroom is an insulated room, not straight to brick/block on the walls, you should be able to heat the majority of the house. If you are keeping your basement door open, I would suggest a box fan at the bottom of the stairs blowing INTO the stove room. This will help the colder/denser air down the stairs which will in turn create a small vaccuum and that air will be replaced byt the warm air. This will at least help offset the heating upstairs.

mhuff29 said:
Well, got it installed yesterday just in time for the credit. I was at work and wife was upstairs during the install so not really sure how you can tell if its a good install or not. Little tough starting up since it is in the basement and the cold air pushing down. Got massive smoke in the basement, waited for it to clear then I tried flash fire further back and it worked a lot better!

The fan wasn't screwed in and wasn't kicking on. I screwed it to the stove and it started after 3 minutes. (By the way how cool does it have to get to shut off automatically?) I was hoping i could get it warm enough to heat the upstairs as well, but I don't think its going to work, can't get the hot air up the stairs. Guess I will have to have the furnace still going for that.

I don't have a thermometer yet, so can't tell how hot its going, so that is my next purchase. Any advice on what thermometer? I like the Condar brand thermometers . . . a number of folks here seem to have had pretty good luck with them. I know my stove top thermometer is very close to the number I get from my infrared thermometer.

Also after a night burn, do you get a bunch of black on the window? Anyway to keep that off while you are asleep? Sometimes this happens with me . . . but it's not the normal less-than-optimal wood that is the culprit -- sometimes it is a split that has rolled up against the glass . . . and sometimes it is due to the fact that I turned down the air too soon or too much . . . although once you get the hang of running the stove you will get better at knowing how far down you can turn your air for long burns and clean burns . . . it's something you will learn in time.

Overall very happy with the purchase, just afraid I will have to get a stove for upstairs as well....that is definitely not in the budget.

mhuff29 said:

I don't have a thermometer yet, so can't tell how hot its going, so that is my next purchase. Any advice on what thermometer?

Also after a night burn, do you get a bunch of black on the window? Anyway to keep that off while you are asleep?

Nice looking unit, is the cord for the blower rubbing up against the revere? Not sure if that part of the revere gets hot enough to burn the cord or not.

zap

Cord isn't against that plate just looks like it in the pic, but I also checked if that plate got hot and its pretty much room temp. Wondering if it would be better to remove that plating and have a fan behind the unit to push all the heat that comes off of it? Not sure what type of fan though?

It's ok if the cord touches the surround. They stay quite cool usually. You can run the insert without the surround if desired.

Just got my own Lopi Revere installed a few days ago--so far I love the thing and it has been easy to control the burn. A stove thermometer has been crucial to running it at the right temp, and it has put out enough heat to make the downstairs feel balmy.

Can anyone give clear directions on how to jumper around the thermostat? Sometimes the stove gets a *little* cool (maybe 300 - 350 range in early am) and the fan turns off when it could still be moving a good amount of heat off the stove.

An update to my new revere. Everything is great...except the door. One of the main reasons I wanted the revere was for the door and the fact the lady actually sat on the thing and it didn't bend. Well it was working fine, then the handle became real loose (had a professional install it) I took out the directions and noticed he had put it on wrong so it took some doing but was able to get it apart and back together nice and tight. Well a week and half later its loose again. ALSO, the door is now rubbing on the ash catcher on the front of the stove! WTF very upset...it may be some small items but very annoying for the price.

I mentioned in another door post that I thought maybe the outer shell of the door was not quite right. It should definitely not rub on the ash lip! There are small set screws on the bottom of the door shell that attach it to the actual door. These screws along with a couple tangs at the top hold the shell on. Take a look at it. When I put the shell on mine during the install I noted that if not done just right it could be a problem.

Same thing with the ash lip on my Revere. The bottom of the door shell just barely scrapes/rubs against it. Figured that this was a "feature" so that no ash could attach to the door and be carried past the ash lip as a cling on. I imagine I can fine tune it when I mess around with the set screws... not so sure now.

I happened to be in a stove store today and they had a LOPI sitting there, the door rubbed on the ash tray too!

Its strange when it heats up to 450+ it quits rubbing, but below that it rubs...I think the expansion of the pins at that heat gives it enough raise to clear. Do you all have problems with the door handle becoming loose? How did you fix it if s.

That is a pretty easy fix. My door on my Endeavor did the same thing. With a cold stove, remove the hinge pins and lift the door off. In my case the bottom left corner was dragging the ash lip. Take a rubber mallet and hit the bottom hinge to the left. Hit the top hinge to the right. This will "lift" the door by repositioning the hinges. Worked like a charm on my door.

As far as the loose handle goes, just keep a 9/16 (I think) socket handy. I used to have to tighten mine often, but after replacing the factory door gasket I don't have to worry now, as the gasket makes a much tighter seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.