Got the same man again on the Englander Help Line

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPapiPE

Hearth Supporter
Second day in a row I have gotten the same tech from the rosters of the tech team at Englander stove co. His favorite expression is I don't know. When I heard all about the Englander stove company I was impressed, but after asking questions for 2 days with the same result,I was disappointed. I think tech staff should known a lot about the product they sell.

And those questions were?

The Englander manual covers several different stoves, or 15 variations of 3 stoves. It categorically states that the hearth size should be a constant 48"X 48", yet it gives minimum distances for hearth sizes with respect to the stove size. Such as 8" behind the stove, 8" to either side of the stove and 16" in front of the stove. Also maintaining an R Value of 2 or above. My point is that I can only find a UL or UCL or ULC listed stove matt that measures 48"X46". The stove is 25-1/4 wide X 14 Deep X 26 High, and satifies the second set of criteria and sells for $174 at a stove store. Plus I have side shields and a back shield. I think this slightly less than matt will do the job considering my stoves size, shields, etc.

2)On page 7 of the stove manuel the second and 4th drawing from the top of the page down is a bit confusing. Are they talking about a 9" clearance with B-type pipe in the 2nd drawing which requires a 9" air space all around. And is the fourth drawing assuming one is using A-type double wall insulated pipe(simpson, metalbestos type pipe)?And that the clearances can be reduced to 2" for vertical and horizontal runs?

3)Can non flamable insulation be put against the A-type pipe in the attic or what is the clearage required?

4)How close to a combustible wall can one get with pipe board ? i know without it's 18"

5) My questions have lead me to believe that the stove with side and back heat shields can be placed as close as 10" to a combustible surface and 11" on the sides ( this is without regard to stovepipe) Is this correct?
Thanks for any help in answering these questions

JPapiPE said:
The Englander manual covers several different stoves, or 15 variations of 3 stoves.

Same stove with two different bases and three different door options.

It categorically states that the hearth size should be a constant 48"X 48", yet it gives minimum distances for hearth sizes with respect to the stove size. Such as 8" behind the stove, 8" to either side of the stove and 16" in front of the stove. Also maintaining an R Value of 2 or above. My point is that I can only find a UL or UCL or ULC listed stove matt that measures 48"X46". The stove is 25-1/4 wide X 14 Deep X 26 High, and satifies the second set of criteria and sells for $174 at a stove store. Plus I have side shields and a back shield. I think this slightly less than matt will do the job considering my stoves size, shields, etc.

The tech support agent, his boss or the CEO of the company can't tell you that anything less than 48X48 can be used with the stove. The certification listing says 48X48 and 48X48 it is.

2)On page 7 of the stove manuel the second and 4th drawing from the top of the page down is a bit confusing. Are they talking about a 9" clearance with B-type pipe in the 2nd drawing which requires a 9" air space all around. And is the fourth drawing assuming one is using A-type double wall insulated pipe(simpson, metalbestos type pipe)?And that the clearances can be reduced to 2" for vertical and horizontal runs?

I have two degrees, burned wood for thirty years, have been to two goat ropings and a worlds fair and have never heard of "B type" pipe for a wood stove. Picture two is talking about solid pack insulated Class-A chimney pipe and 9" of air space where it passes through a combustible wall. Picture 4 looks like plain old stove pipe passing through a non-combustible thimble into a masonry chimney.

3)Can non flamable insulation be put against the A-type pipe in the attic or what is the clearage required?

Any questions concerning the installation of the chimney needs to be addressed with the manufacturer of the chimney components.

4)How close to a combustible wall can one get with pipe board ? i know without it's 18"

What da heck is "pipe board"?

5) My questions have lead me to believe that the stove with side and back heat shields can be placed as close as 10" to a combustible surface and 11" on the sides ( this is without regard to stovepipe) Is this correct?
Thanks for any help in answering these questions.

The manual says 11" on the sides and 12" inches in the back with heat shields and double wall pipe.

Mike will be along before long to clarify any discrepancies. But I can easily see why the guy on the phone couldn't just pop off answers to these questions.

I can answer the attic one - you cannot put insulation up to the insulated pipe - it needs to have clearance of air to it - usually 2"

In fact, it comes with an Attic Insulation Shield which stops the insulation from hitting it - prior to the installation of these, many fires were caused.

I guess that the "B" pipe refers to Double Wall Interior stove pipe, which usually has a clearance of 6", but this varies depending on the testing of the particular stove, etc.

Class A pipe is called HT these days - that is CHIMNEY. The other stuff, what you can see in the room, is stove pipe....or, more accurately, chimney connector.

You can probably fabricate a Hearth protector to the specs you need - and the size.

The clearances given in the manual are actually not up to the current code - you need 18" in front of the front door! So using the footprint of the stove, measure that 18" in front of the load door, and 8" on the other three sides, and that will give you the hearth min size.

BrotherBart said:
...I have two degrees, burned wood for thirty years, have been to two goat ropings and a worlds fair and have never heard of "B type" pipe for a wood stove.

Maybe that's because you've apparently not been to Maine, Spain, Spokane, and Coeur d'Alene...and maybe not a chicken pluckin', either, eh? :cheese: Rick (Oh, sorry!...off topic...my bad!)

fossil said:
BrotherBart said:
...I have two degrees, burned wood for thirty years, have been to two goat ropings and a worlds fair and have never heard of "B type" pipe for a wood stove.

Maybe that's because you've apparently not been to Maine, Spain, Spokane, and Coeur d'Alene...and maybe not a chicken pluckin', either, eh? :cheese: Rick (Oh, sorry!...off topic...my bad!)

Sorry Rick , but the correct pronunciation of Spokane (born and raised) does not rhyme with Maine, Spain or Coeur d'Alene, although the 1974 worlds fair was hosted there, and it is just a stone's throw from Coeur d'Alene, which I am sure has hosted a goat roping or two

now look at it this way. ILL bet fred went home and said to the wife, the same guy called me twice in to days. never could figure out what he was asking

Elderthewelder said:
...Sorry Rick , but the correct pronunciation of Spokane (born and raised) does not rhyme with Maine, Spain or Coeur d'Alene...

Ah, c'mon, Elder...I know that. Born & raised in California, native son of a native son of the golden west. Lived in Idaho Falls for 3 years in the early '70's. The intentional mispronunciation is s'posed to be part of the joke. (oops, still off topic, sorry!) Rick

Elderthewelder said:
...you would be suprised how many people mis pronounce it.

Nope, I wouldn't. Thanks for that link, Elder, it's a kick! :) Rick

Back on topic. Joe, what is your intent on the home interior? Do you want to use single wall stove pipe or double-wall?

(PS: Good job on going for the insulation. I appreciate that this was a tough choice with all the expenses, but no matter what you do, it will pay off.)

jotulwoodburner said:
I think it is wrong to castigate Fred on a public forum.

Not to worry--he is fired!!

JPapiPE,

Sorry to hear of your frustration. However, even though I don't know you, or Fred, and obviously I wasn't privy to your conversation, having done Customer Service for 20 years, I have to agree with the sentiment, expressed by others, that perhaps Fred does not deserve being publically pillaried. Particularly here, in front of two of his cowokers (Mike and Corie, the heads of Englander's R&D;and Cust. Service, if I'm not mistaken), who post here regularly.

Fred's not knowing "the answer" to every question, especially when there seems to be a couple of terms in dispute, probably does not warrant a public humiliation. If it turns out that you were using terms that were other than those commonly used in the industry, would you want Fred roasting you, in abstentia, in front of your colleagues, because you didn't know the exact words the experts use?

And I mean you no offense--but I also know the embarrassment of having blamed someone for what turned out to be my mistake--I'm sure we've all been there. If, OTOH, the mistake(s?) are Fred's, well, you could always speak privately with his manager, who would ideally address any such deficiencies with training, etc....

But regardless, I'm sure Corie or Mike will soon assist you--I'm betting they can see the individual pages of that manual when they close their eyes, at night.

And as one who has received customer assistance from Mike, personally, (here, "off the clock," no less) I can say that Englander's customer service is superior to ANY other stove company I've dealt with, many of whom do not even allow direct customer contact and instead simply refer you to a dealer. (For example, see my experience with Harman Stoves--the latter half of the following thread is my one, brief, first-and-last conversation with the Harman factory: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6822/ The dialogue is comical, IMO). In fact, I have found Englander's customer service to be outstanding generally, not just compared to other stove companies--and that's coming from someone who, as I say, has been the one on the "How can I help you?" side of the phone. Have faith--someone will be able to help.

All the best.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sidebar to the assembled:
Didn't the Harman Stove Company recently get sold, or go bankrupt, or some such? Couldn't have had any relation to the type 'o customer service I received, described in the above link, could it? Nah.... Why should the factory either know, or publish, something as arcane as the size of their firebox, fer Chrissakes? I guess Harman is from the "Let the dealer make it up" school of disinformation....
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BB:

I LOL when I read this:

I have two degrees, burned wood for thirty years, have been to two goat ropings and a worlds fair and have never heard of “B type” pipe for a wood stove.
(bold emphasis added)

Seriously, that phrase is priceless--and I am so gonna use it!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rick,

Re:
Maybe that’s because you’ve apparently not been to Maine, Spain, Spokane, and Coeur d’Alene...and maybe not a chicken pluckin’, either, eh?

Nice poetry, and I "got it," about Spokane. As an English major, I think the particular subchapter of the "poetic license" you used is known as "slant rhyme." IOW, it's allowed--so while I've never been to a poetry "slam," I'm pretty sure you would not get kicked out for that. LOL Your ditty worked for me (but then, I'm "not right," or so I'm told....) :lol:

As an adjunct to "goat ropin'," you mention "chicken pluckin'." Does an impromptu duck-pluckin' count? Especially since I was one of the mother-pluckers? (I believe at least one of the ducks was a female, or a hen, or whatever the **** you call the counterpart to a male mallard.)

Peter

fred says he gonna kick your butt if you dont quit pickin on him

B-type pipe is a double walled insulated pipe typically used for gas stove installations.So i guess I used the wrong nomenclature. It has been many years since I burned wood and back then it was much lower tech. There was only 24 ga stove pipe and double wall stainless insulated pipe called metalbestos, which is very pricey. Pipe board is what my local stove shop calls a heat shielding system for 24ga pipe for the purpose of reducing stove pipe clearances. So Bart, consider yourself enlightened.

Oh and Goatropers are what we Mainers call all out of staters that come to maine for the annual deer hunt and can be seen heading back home with a cow strapped over their fenders, thinking they shot a deer.

I do appologize for singling out one Englander Stove Co tech. That was inexcusable. Mea Culpa.

But hey, now that we know Bart has 2 degrees...we now know whom to turn too in case any question remains unanswered. I also have 2 degrees and am a registered Professional Engineer (structural) in the state of Maine, but hell look where it got me. Asking stupid questions to over qualified and under knowledged smartasses.

JPapiPE said:
Asking stupid questions to over qualified and under knowledged smartasses.

I must be one of the under knowledged smartasses, cuz I know I'm not over qualified. :lol:

Ummm, isn't Freds job to know his product? I think the response should have been, "I don't know, let me ask the engineer/boss/review the literature/check with so and so, and I will call you back with a definitive answer. Anything less is just poor service. I talked to a Joe hampton/regency and he knew his stuff forward and backwards. I still think they failed to do thier job but Joe was top knotch!!! Fred, well, not so much!

JPapiPE said:
am a registered Professional Engineer (structural) in the state of Maine, but hell look where it got me. Asking stupid questions to over qualified and under knowledged smartasses.

Ah, now we get it........

We have a number of engineers here..........can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em!

Of course, my daughter is also an engineer (computer and electrical), but she gave that up to go into environmental law.....dangerous! I wouldn't want to work with her.

I think you have to warn customer service people of your degree - and then they may pass you up the chain quicker, knowing they can't snow you with "I don't know" "Wadda ya think" an "sounds right"...or "that's the way I'd do it"

burntime said:
Ummm, isn't Freds job to know his product? I think the response should have been, "I don't know, let me ask the engineer/boss/review the literature/check with so and so, and I will call you back with a definitive answer. Anything less is just poor service. I talked to a Joe hampton/regency and he knew his stuff forward and backwards. I still think they failed to do thier job but Joe was top knotch!!! Fred, well, not so much!

Probably right, BT.

Protection of one's (Freds) ego does not compare to the safety and other issues that might not get answered. I think, in this case, that we are more concerned with the "Freds" of the entire stove biz than one particular Fred.

That said, the combined knowledge of the folks here is going to put 90% plus of techs to shame...that is, if the customer can sort out the good from the bad.

You are probably right. Sad, but right. Unfortunately very few people are really good at what they do. Not knocking Fred, he may be considered a high performer, but that just shoes that the company needs to do a better job holding a carrot out to get qualified people and keep them qualified thru training and education. In the age of sales by deception the consumer needs to do thier best to protect themselves. This site truly is a wealth of knowledge!!!

Webmaster said:
Protection of one's (Freds) ego does not compare to the safety and other issues that might not get answered. I think, in this case, that we are more concerned with the "Freds" of the entire stove biz than one particular Fred.

Many of us know that you would be singing a different tune if Englander were a sponsor. You heard one side of the story, and immediately Englander was the bad guy.

Sorry, but I just can't make enough trouble over at hearth talk so I came back here. Hope you don't mind. I'm a bit obsessed.

jotul,

two posts and both are in this thread....

You should read our mission statement. It is to help the customer......

And, who, are the "many of you"? a plot.

Are you angry at Englander too for making money? And being here so they can get "free" coverage???

Please refrain from posting you snide remarks. Email your friends with them........If you don't like the cooking, leave the diner....OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.