Got the Saw Out Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had about a gallon of 2 stroke gas sitting outside since November. Poured some in the saw and it fired right up. I hear that gas goes bad, but I think I will use this up by the end of May, which is just about 6 months. In the future, should I put Stabil in the gas if not used up by the end of fall? I don't want any problems.

I did the same thing today...I had a buddy that had a motor go bad in his new husky they told him it was because of the new ethanol gas was to old and not to use anything over 30 days old. I personally think that is a bit crazy but I do understand since the new gas causes problems it is important to use high octaone gas paired with good synthetic 2 stroke oil. When I bought my new sthil 441 they said if I boought a 6 pack of the new synthetic mix I would get an additional year in warranty.

I don't have much old gas left so I will be mixing fresh soon. As for you I would think at least mix up some more and mix it with the old...or just get fresh and run that old stuff in the lawnmower. Small price to pay when you are using a saw that costs close to $1K.

I'm not so sure "running fine" is a good metric for the quality of old gasoline.
Especially gasoline with ethanol in it which may be bonding with h20 and corroding aluminum carb components.
It's the carb your trying to protect, not combustion.

Reactions: n6crv
I always put stablizer in the saw gas before I fill the can. No problems that way as I've never had gas go bad. However, if you think you might not use it up before it gets too old, then dump it into the tank of your car or truck.

IHowever, if you think you might not use it up before it gets too old, then dump it into the tank of your car or truck.

Or run it through the lawnmower. I know a little premix won't hurt my truck, but I have a thing about running it in fuel injected vehicles. Probably baseless, but that's a "me problem".

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Most 2 cycle oils have stabilizers in them.

I'm with lukem, if I won't run it in my saw, I'm surely not gonna run it in my vehicles.

I use it to clean chains, kill weeds, start fires (boy scout method :) ), de-greaser for bearings & such.

Lucky here, no ethanol.

We've never encountered any problems burning that in any of our vehicles.

Had about a gallon of 2 stroke gas sitting outside since November.

The only thing that would concern me is the sitting outside. If it's a one gallon gas can with one gallon of gas in it, and the vent was closed (if there is one) then it'd be less of a concern. But if a larger partially filled gas can is left out in the weather on it's own it can collect condensation in it which can really mess things up for you.

If you don't have a safe place in doors, consider building a small "dog house" of sorts for the gas cans to give them some good shelter out of the sun / rain / kept off the ground /etc.

Better for the fuel and keeps the sun away from the plastic cans and moisture away from the metal ones.

pen

I just simply take the gas that has sit around for a bit too long and put it in my vehicle...then reload the cans with fresh gas.....Master Mech....thoughts?

We've never encountered any problems burning that in any of our vehicles.

I probably wouldn't either.
But with the more high tech engine controls & sensors, I just feel better not doing it.
Like "lukem", me thinking about it, is more than any issue it might cause.

The gan can I have is plastic...it's sealed so no water got in. When I opened it to fill the tank, there was a pressure release that sprayed out some gas, so I think it was sealed well. I will either buy new gas to mix in to what is left or just try to run it out quickly.

I just simply take the gas that has sit around for a bit too long and put it in my vehicle...then reload the cans with fresh gas.....Master Mech....thoughts?

1 gal of 50:1 premix diluted with 15+ gallons of fresh gas isn't going to kill anything so long as it's not water contaminated. If the can is venting pressure than I doubt much got inside in the way of moisture. When disposing of old fuel by car, pick the one with the biggest tank and dump it either at the pump or as soon as you get home. My big truck is 34 gallons. ==c <>

I personally have not had a 1 gallon can of pre-mix exceed 30 days of age around here due to the usage by me personally and in customer's units. But if I were looking for a disposal vehicle, it would most likely be one of the lawn tractors. I've run straight 50:1 in my tractor because I had nothing else left. Wasn't even visible smoke.

If I go to the bother of rotating gas (and I usually don't), I pour it into my old mower. Slow rpm and lower compression engines don't seem to care about old gas.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.