Got the stove crankin' tonite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
-3F right now... going down to about -8F... using more than one bag per day in THIS weather.

-32 celcius up here in northern alberta..... 1.5 bags a day in this weather.

Well, it's not THAT cold down here in Georgia, but it's 27 right now and my stoves are eating pellet stew right now!!!

We had around 12°F(something like 2°F with wind chill) last night. Warmed to about 18°F right now. Stove is still set for Hi/Lo. Mostly on low. Letting the house temp settle to 68°F over night stove only been going to high(setting #3) in the morning to raise temps to 72°F. Using only 1 to 1 1/4 bags a day. Still using my shoulder pellets. Got some Turmans if it gets much colder. Working great so far.

Temps are supposed to hoover like this for the weekend. No biggie, We are warm in here! This year I am ready for it, We finally got the right stove. Did I meantion I love my stove!

-8 here this morn, hopper was dry this AM! 72 in the house.....

That Omega is a really beautiful stove! 60,000 btu's will DEFINITELY handle your temps!

Setting the stove thermometer for 70 before bedtime on med setting. During the day 78. Using about 1.2 bags a day in this little cold spell.

Baston8005 said:
....During the day 78.......
:bug:

WOW....I've never had my stat above 72....ever. I'd be sweating my a** off and running around in a t-shirt & shorts.

Stat on the stove is set to 70, heat setting 5, Hi-Lo. Hopper was 1/2 full last night when I went to bed at 11, and at 6:30 this am, still had about 2 hours worth of pellets in the hopper.

macman said:
Baston8005 said:
....During the day 78.......
:bug:

WOW....I've never had my stat above 72....ever. I'd be sweating my a** off and running around in a t-shirt & shorts.

Stat on the stove is set to 70, heat setting 5, Hi-Lo. Hopper was 1/2 full last night when I went to bed at 11, and at 6:30 this am, still had about 2 hours worth of pellets in the hopper.

Macman, do you live in a house with an open floor plan? I own a 2200 square ft Colonial (electric heat) with walls everywhere. This is why the stove thermomstat is set on 78. The adjacent rooms reach 70 on the 1st floor. Upstairs where the bedrooms are located hit mid to low 60's. This is with a oscillating fan blowing air out of the stove room also.

It's actually cold here now. My outdoor thermometer reads 22F
and there's a good wind making it feel even worse and making
the stove have to work harder too. Got the stat set to 76F.
Just brought my little dog in from a walk. She knows how to get comfy:

12-11.gif

Baston8005 said:
I own a 2200 square ft Colonial (electric heat) with walls everywhere......

Gotcha....my log home is semi-open plan, and open balcony in great room (where stove is) to upstairs bedrooms.

Use small 14" table fan on the floor to blow air from stove room around the hallway that kinda goes in a circle back to the kitchen and then to the great room again.

Xena said:
It's actually cold here now. My outdoor thermometer reads 22F
and there's a good wind making it feel even worse and making
the stove have to work harder too. Got the stat set to 76F.
Just brought my little dog in from a walk. She knows how to get comfy:

12-11.gif

macman said:
Baston8005 said:
I own a 2200 square ft Colonial (electric heat) with walls everywhere......

Gotcha....my log home is semi-open plan, and open balcony in great room (where stove is) to upstairs bedrooms.

Use small 14" table fan on the floor to blow air from stove room around the hallway that kinda goes in a circle back to the kitchen and then to the great room again.

Wish I could remove a few walls to open up the air flow, but the main wall is a load bearing wall. Lots of $$$$ to do that

Baston8005 said:
....Wish I could remove a few walls to open up the air flow, but the main wall is a load bearing wall. Lots of $$$$ to do that

I hear ya. Ever think of doing half walls? Could still keep the load supported with columns at doorways. The heat moves around near the ceiling mostly anyway......just a thought.

Here's a shot of Macman's joint I got from Google Earth... looks like an open floor plan AND open roof plan...

Donations can be sent to the local Salvation Army...

oldloghome.gif

That is hilarious! Macman, I've got some plywood I'll give ya to patch that roof.

Kroozer, Too funny! :lol: Mac's shack hehe.

But I was looking for an old log cabin shot. Me and the kid are building one as a school project. This should come in handy.

krooser said:
Here's a shot of Macman's joint I got from Google Earth... looks like an open floor plan AND open roof plan...

Donations can be sent to the local Salvation Army...

Da*n Google Earth....I TOLD them to take my pic down!!!!

Yes, no problems in my home moving heat around.....mostly UP!

Sydney, thanks for the offer of the plywood......can you bring any nails, hammers, saws, carpenters, etc you have lying around too?
(too cold "outside" the house for me....19 outside, 21 inside...toasty!)
:lol:

Those using fans, have you tried blowing toward the stove? I needed to warm up the cars last night in our attached garage (wife's Bug had compacted snow in the wheels/under carriage), I'm out of LP for the garage heater and apparently no one can pump LP after dark. Funny note, I asked the gas station kid why this was, he stated "jeez, dude, like, a light bulb, like, it could spark, and like, blow something up. like.". I then asked him if he has ever glanced a little north where the sky is bright at night, and did he know that all those lights were the refinery where the LP is made? Like dude. Anyways, back to the fans. My stove is in the basement, so I cranked it and opened the access door to the garage and placed a fan blowing out. After a bit, I took the advice I've seen so many times and turned the fan to blow into the basement and wow. You could easily feel the warm air blowing into the garage at the top of the door opening, huge improvement.

I did a wiki on convection.Very Interesting!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convection

As you were removing the cool air(low air level) The warm are was naturally replacing it. This way does seem to move the air the fastest. It works with the warm air naturally rising. The other way works too. But this way is more noticeable.

jay

tjnamtiw said:
Well, it's not THAT cold down here in Georgia, but it's 27 right now and my stoves are eating pellet stew right now!!!

27 must be low for you. What is Florida looking like?
We are at 18 with wind. Probably 1 bag/day and up
to 1.5 bags/day when it hits -25. (Last Year)

macman,

My chickens are feeling sorry for you so they'll donate a couple of blue tarps and some high energy cracked corn. I'll see that sydney gets them so you'll get one huge care package.

I'm thinking maybe Jimmy Carter can grab his carpentry tools and head over to Mac's place for some Habitat for Humanity lovin'....

krooser said:
I'm thinking maybe Jimmy Carter can grab his carpentry tools and head over to Mac's place fot Habitat for Humanity lovin'....

Don't send that idiot over here.....the only thing he'll be habitating is the end of my #12 boot in his a**. Or maybe one of the loose logs will fall on his head....we can only hope.

macman said:
krooser said:
I'm thinking maybe Jimmy Carter can grab his carpentry tools and head over to Mac's place fot Habitat for Humanity lovin'....

Don't send that idiot over here.....the only thing he'll be habitating is the end of my #12 boot in his a**. Or maybe one of the loose logs will fall on his head....we can only hope.

You allergic to peanuts? :-S

Status
Not open for further replies.