Got the stove filled up and ready for the cold weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coobie

Jan 20, 2010
southern michigan
Filled the avalon stove up tonight(somersets)supposed to be in the 30,s here in S.Michigan the next night or two.coobie

coobie frost warning up state Maine toward the end of the work week. Where we are it's supposed to be about 60 Deg. F. during the day.

Haven't pulled my exhaust fan yet, but I couldn't help starting the stove twice already to take the chill off a few mornings.

coobie said:
Filled the avalon stove up tonight(somersets)supposed to be in the 30,s here in S.Michigan the next night or two.coobie

Hello Coobie

I got the Astoria all cleaned and ready to go but not sure if I will need it yet.

When I do, I set it to come on about 3 AM and off at 10 AM, that is my shoulder season schedule.

Forecast for Salem NH below:

Attachments

• AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 493
  • Weather9132011.jpg
    Weather9132011.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 495
Hello

Thursday morning Sept 15,2011 is the morning to look for! See USA weather Forecast Map Below:

Click to Enlarge!

Attachments

• 1stFreeze9-15-2011-1.jpg
    1stFreeze9-15-2011-1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 497

Attachments

• 2012-US-Farmers-Almanac-Winter-Map-Large-e1314389863213.jpg
    2012-US-Farmers-Almanac-Winter-Map-Large-e1314389863213.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 498
SmokeyTheBear said:
imacman said:
j-takeman said:
Saw the weather forcast for the winter. La nina again!
:ahhh: :mad: :gulp:
Please tell me you're just kidding!!

Nope he ain't, contrary to what you may have heard being floated about by the various lame stream media, there is a decent La Nina building.

http://home.comcast.net/~ewerme/wuwt/elninometer-current.gif

Just in case I'll be sure my snowblower is ready to rock! I might even use the forcast to get me a bigger/badder machine!

Got the stove filled with 3 bags of Maine's Choice. Friday night low of 38 got me thinking I will be firing it up.
Especially with a 3 month old. It nice I can use the baby as an excuse!

IHATEPROPANE said:
Got the stove filled with 3 bags of Maine's Choice. Friday night low of 38 got me thinking I will be firing it up.

Hey, Congrats on the 3 month old! My wife and I just had our second child on August 19. I am looking forward to introducing him to Pellet Stove Heat!

PJPellet said:
IHATEPROPANE said:

Hey, Congrats on the 3 month old! My wife and I just had our second child on August 19. I am looking forward to introducing him to Pellet Stove Heat!

Have a 4 month old myself. Me, the wife, and baby are all about to be introduced to pellet heat.

JBiBBs5 said:
PJPellet said:
IHATEPROPANE said:

Have a 4 month old myself. Me, the wife, and baby are all about to be introduced to pellet heat.

Congrats to you guys too! That's great!

j-takeman said:
imacman said:
j-takeman said:

Just checked the Farmers Almanac and our region is supposed to be above normal, Stormy and Wet! Sounds better than what the local Fox weather anchor forcasted!

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2011/08/29/2012-us-winter-forecast/

We may have some controversy here!!!! The "OLD" Farmers Almanac, which is different than the one referenced above, was released this week. It offers a differing view of the coming winter....

"In addition to all the advice there are, of course, the weather predictions, which the almanac says were 90.6 per cent accurate for last winter. They’re based on a secret formula Thomas designed using solar cycles, climatology and meteorology.

Jud Hale, longtime editor in chief, said there’s something comforting to people who see the familiar yellow cover, unchanged since the 1850s. People tell him their grandmothers swore by it or hung it up on a hook in their homes; the publication has long had a hole punched in the upper left corner to hang in outhouses or family rooms.

“That kind of reaction is universal,†Hale said. “And when we get the weather wrong, they forgive us. When we get it right, we get tons of congratulations!â€

According to the almanac, this year’s weather highlights for November to March are:

• Temperatures will be below normal, on average, in most of New England, the Mid-Atlantic, South Florida, the Upper Midwest, the Desert Southwest and the Pacific Southwest. Temperatures will be above normal elsewhere.

• Precipitation will be above normal in the eastern Ohio Valley and in the northern portions of the Upper Midwest, Pacific Northwest, and Pacific Southwest and below normal elsewhere.

• Snowfall will be above normal in most locations from New England south to Georgia and west across the northern tier of states to the Cascades of Washington and Oregon. It will be below normal in most other areas that usually see snow."

Harman Lover 007 said:
j-takeman said:
imacman said:
j-takeman said:

Just checked the Farmers Almanac and our region is supposed to be above normal, Stormy and Wet! Sounds better than what the local Fox weather anchor forcasted!

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2011/08/29/2012-us-winter-forecast/

We may have some controversy here!!!! The "OLD" Farmers Almanac, which is different than the one referenced above, was released this week. It offers a differing view of the coming winter....

"In addition to all the advice there are, of course, the weather predictions, which the almanac says were 90.6 per cent accurate for last winter. They’re based on a secret formula Thomas designed using solar cycles, climatology and meteorology.

Jud Hale, longtime editor in chief, said there’s something comforting to people who see the familiar yellow cover, unchanged since the 1850s. People tell him their grandmothers swore by it or hung it up on a hook in their homes; the publication has long had a hole punched in the upper left corner to hang in outhouses or family rooms.

“That kind of reaction is universal,†Hale said. “And when we get the weather wrong, they forgive us. When we get it right, we get tons of congratulations!â€

According to the almanac, this year’s weather highlights for November to March are:

• Temperatures will be below normal, on average, in most of New England, the Mid-Atlantic, South Florida, the Upper Midwest, the Desert Southwest and the Pacific Southwest. Temperatures will be above normal elsewhere.

• Precipitation will be above normal in the eastern Ohio Valley and in the northern portions of the Upper Midwest, Pacific Northwest, and Pacific Southwest and below normal elsewhere.

• Snowfall will be above normal in most locations from New England south to Georgia and west across the northern tier of states to the Cascades of Washington and Oregon. It will be below normal in most other areas that usually see snow."

Uh Oh! Problem is I forgot what normal is. Last season was a killer and the 3 previous where mellow. Looks like I'll just need to super size my snow removal toys!!! Or hire the local kids while I sit inside where its warm?

j-takeman said:
Harman Lover 007 said:
• Snowfall will be above normal in most locations from New England

Looks like I'll just need to super size my snow removal toys!!!

Let's see, last year it was as follows

Get up; clear driveway; drive to work in snow; work; drive home in snow; clear driveway; go to bed.
Rinse and Repeat 3-4 times a week

ggrrrrrr, Looks like I need to stock up on ibuprofin for my aching back again.

Ah well, the stove keeps the home nice and toasty :)

If the cold comes, i'm ready! I stopped by my local hearth and home store today and pickup a few bags of O' Malley's to try out. I now have 4 different brands to try out this season and see what works best. Pellets seem to be easily accessible so i'm not worried about shortages or price hikes mid season.

I can't believe it's here already though I have to say, it is football season and I enjoyed watching the PACK beat up on the Saints...Carolina's next.
Cleaned up the stove two weeks ago, still have to close the pool but here in SW Ohio supposed to hit low 40's and might sneak into the upper, upper 30's so I'll probably fire up the stove tonight just to get it a test run...Likely that I won't need it too much......yet.

Attachments

• weather.jpg
    weather.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 185
41 degrees this am in Southwest VA, first fire in stove for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.