Got tile base for pellet-do I have to put tile on the walls? or just keep away from combustibles?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericwest

Dec 17, 2012
I took the lazy mans way out ...and bought a tile base for a pellet stove rather than....making something...do I have to put something on the walls too?...or if the manual says 2" from combustibles can I just put the stove 2" from drywall??... .with the help of members here...I have whipped a used stove into great condition...(special thanks to 343amc who provided me with excellent info and a manual on an out of production stove) I am really ready to install it....and want to make sure I do not mess it up...thanks...

I took the lazy mans way out ...and bought a tile base for a pellet stove rather than....making something...do I have to put something on the walls too?...or if the manual says 2" from combustibles can I just put the stove 2" from drywall??... .with the help of members here...I have whipped a used stove into great condition...(special thanks to 343amc who provided me with excellent info and a manual on an out of production stove) I am really ready to install it....and want to make sure I do not mess it up...thanks...

If you have the manual & install it to the clearances cited in that manual, you're good to go. 2" is 2" & drywall is considered a combustible.

Keep in mind that for cleaning purposes as well as piece of mind, if you can spare more clearance than what the manual recommends, by all means do so. You won't regret giving yourself the extra space the first time you burn a really hot fire or have to get to the back of the stove for one reason or another. The more clearance the better I say.....

Reactions: smoke show
Considering the price of cement board and tile it's well worth the piece of mind and an afternoon to install a backer. My stove has immediately behind it 1 1/4 inch granite on cement board and tile the rest of the way up the wall. I could fire a rocket motor at it and not worry. Granite was gotten from countertop manufactures scrap bin for nothing.

Hello

I made a tile mantel and used amber rope light for a warming effect, but no tile is really needed per code!

Attachments

• AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 265
I like to error on a worse case scenerio. To many fires when I was in fire dept. I was out ranked on a school project that I wanted sprinklers in being told block don't burn. The next year a school was burned with gas and state changed codes. Once of prevention, you saved some bucks on the stove. Remember your smoke and CO detector and a surge protector.

You should be aware that putting tile or rock or brick against a combustible surface does NOTHING to protect the combustible material from heat unless there is an air gap or other insulation between the two materials. The rock will get hot on both sides and transfer the heat to the combustibles. With pellet stoves and keeping to their recommended clearances, the rock or other surface would just be adding decorative effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.