Got to use a few saws this weeked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
Here is a willow oak that fell on the town community center in a micro bust about a month ago. I am the "wood guy" in my town so I was offered the wood.

Took out my ms650 and out on a 20" bar took the beat husky 372 I have cobbled together also wearing a 20" bar and the earthquake 4518 which is 18" bar for those not into the quakes on other saw sites. The quake developed a running issue. Either trash in the intake of carb causing it to starve for fuel or a fuel leak as it was leaking gas. These things leak everything as the come, bar will drain out of it on lots own. Lost a screw in the husky recoil starter so I only had 2 left so I couldnt restart out when it died and the safety anti vibe junk cabin was cutting horrible so I just took the good chain of husky and put on the 650 and cut 70% of the tree with it. Not sure what the deal on the safety like chain was lots full chisel but has dual rakers that were set low enough. And I just sharpened both the same way on my grinder...guess that chain just sucks? The good chain was close to 2x as fast!!

Ok I have talked enough as I sit in the shop waiting on my work truck now for the pics.

uploadfromtaptalk1406565887586.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406565900704.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406565912042.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At least the building damage wasn't too bad. Looks like your truck is popping a wheelie! Hopefully it was already pointed towards home / no turns.

Haha Yea I was a half mile from home and I live in a SMALL town. Went about 15mph and didnt even pass a car.

Hmm - perhaps you should have taken your time to sharpen that chain... 20 mins sounds about right ;) :p

I think it had to do with the double raker design anti vibe thing?? Both chains were sharpened by me , and had no time on them and done on the same grinder. I forgot to time my self but I bet I did not spend 20 mins on it though?

Here is a video. Sound overwhelms the phone mic and I get the saw kind of pinched a time or two. But the chops look really cool in the last minute..this saw really throes the chips.

Cutting oak with Stihl MS650:

Yep holding an 80+ check saw on and up cut is tough. I know its not the "safe thing" cause you can take a chain to the leg but its what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.