Got us a Wood Rack! lol

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prada

Nov 8, 2008
Ohio
Wow Hubby finally finished us a wood rack right outside of our family room so we can just throw our wood right in the window! haha
He built it 32 feet long, 4 foot deep. He used 8 foot boards for height and put brown metal roofing on it. Pallets are being used for a floor with cement blocks holding them off the ground. He is also putting black rolled roofing on the ground under each section to help with dampness. Now if we can just get some more wood split!! lol
The second picture (sorry so messy) shows the wood rack out the back windows from the stove.

11-08WoodRack.jpg

11-08WithWoodRackOutBack.jpg

Thanks JB! He did a pretty good job. He said to tell everyone that there are 'treated' boards buried in the ground on the uprights but I made him put some more dressed up half rounds over top them. lol I wanted it stained dark brown but he said the temperature outside won't allow that right now. Now I've got to go 'fuss' it up a bit with some old bow saws etc. hanging on the posts! haha
Hey I see you live in Ohio too........where abouts???

Very nice. I will use that for a reference when I build mine.

Brian: I just told Hubby what you said about using his rack for a reference and he is honored. lol

Glowball: Darlin all I can say is we could not use any more heat in this house! haha
We have a shield on the Buck and double wall pipe on it too and we NEVER turn the blower on. Honestly it stays so warm in our home that I open windows all winter long. haha We have a good size home too. That stove throws out some SERIOUS heat!

BucksCoBernie: Thanks so much for your kind words and Yep it should hold around 6 full cords. We do have another old wood shed next to the house that holds about 8 cords too and we have around 3 cords in it right now. We just have to get going with the wood project. We just got our stove in the middle of last winter and this will be our full first winter.

That's one smart looking shed. Is that Staghorn Sumac in behind it?

LLigetfa: Thank you and what the heck is Staghorn Sumac!?! I don't know what that is???

CTburns: Thanks so much and Hubby is honored that you would even want to use our picture as your template.

LLigetfa said:

My 5 acres is 1/2 staghorn sumac ! I hate the stuff but it's all but impossible to get rid of (without chemicals that are hard to aquire legally).
It dominates over anything else by growing really fast and in any direction it needs to.
The orioles love the buds, though.

Brian VT: I don't think it is then. We have lived here for 16 years and have never had a problem or heard anything here called that.

No Man & Shipper50: Thanks so much and Hubby thanks you too! lol He's pretty proud because he is no carpenter and has never claimed to be one and it turned out pretty good. Now you put a motor in front of him and that's a whole different story. lol

Very nice wood shed. Keep an eye out for skunks. Underneath those pallets might be an attractive nesting spot for them to nest.

That's one of the finer wood sheds I've seen.

Are those post in the ground?

And one more thing, that does look like sumac in behind that shed. It's the plant that has the rust colored tops to it. Probably something else, but it does look like it.

Prada said:
Brian VT: I don't think it is then. We have lived here for 16 years and have never had a problem or heard anything here called that.

It looks like what I have. I've got a bunch of old fruit trees that, when I got here 14 years ago, are choked out by the sumac. I tried cutting the sumacs but they just grow 3 new shoots where I cut 1. A friend/arborist said the only way is to cut and hit every stump with chemical. I haven't bothered.
I wish it was worth burning. Then I'd be out there cutting it. lol

ansehnlich1: Hi Nice to meet you! Thank you for such a nice compliment!
Yep he has TREATED posts burried in the ground BEHIND those half rounds that I had him put on top of them to dress it up a little bit. lol
I'll tell ya what I'll do......There is a 'old timer' that lives down the road that knows every plant and tree that grows on the earth! hehe I'll try to snag him up soon as I see him going up the road and ask him so I will know. That is interesting. I honestly have never heard of that before.

Prada.
That wood rack was nice. I also like the whitetail rack hanging in the window.

Woodford said:
Very nice wood shed. Keep an eye out for skunks. Underneath those pallets might be an attractive nesting spot for them to nest.

Woodford!! I just notied your post!! Don't say that!! lol

Cory92: Thank you so much and about the WhiteTail rack, that's another one of Hubbys. We were taking those pictures this afternoon and 5 Bucks were fighting in between the wood rack and those windows over a female deer!! LOL I mean that is how plentiful deers are here. Hubby can sit in his easy chair (in front of the wood burning stove) and nab a Buck during season for real........that is IF HE OPENS THE WINDOW BEFORE HE SHOOTS! hahaha

Prada said:
Wow Hubby finally finished us a wood rack right outside of our family room so we can just throw our wood right in the window! haha
He built it 32 feet long, 4 foot deep. He used 8 foot boards for height and put brown metal roofing on it. Pallets are being used for a floor with cement blocks holding them off the ground. He is also putting black rolled roofing on the ground under each section to help with dampness. Now if we can just get some more wood split!! lol
The second picture (sorry so messy) shows the wood rack out the back windows from the stove

That came out real nice! One of the better ones in my opinion.. Do you know the overall size of that shelter?

Ray

Thanks Ray.....Well I don't really know any more about the size than what I stated. LOL What do you mean by 'overall size'??? It should probably hold about 6 cords of wood if that's what you mean. I'm sorry......I'm not REAL awake yet this morning. haha

Some day the WoodButcher will have something like that and not have to use tarps....nice wood rack!

WoodButcher

Thank you WoodButcher........I know what you mean about not having to use those darn tarps anymore. Hubby actually got all the wood for the rack FREE from some cabins that are being built down our road. The wood he used was their 'throw away' wood! We did have to buy the metal roofing and the cement blocks. Oh and he bought he Treated 4x4's that are in the ground as the structure's uprights. I had him put some of the half rounds he had scavenged over top of them to kind of hide them lol

Brian VT said:
LLigetfa said:

My 5 acres is 1/2 staghorn sumac ! I hate the stuff but it's all but impossible to get rid of (without chemicals that are hard to aquire legally).
It dominates over anything else by growing really fast and in any direction it needs to.
The orioles love the buds, though.

HehHeh . . . you sound just like my wife. She also hates the stuff . . . says it looks too much like a weed. I actually like the looks of it . . . especially with the foliage change, but as you said it tends to dominate over other stuff and there's not much you can do with it (although some of the local greenies at the college in town once showed me how to make a "lemonade" with the "flowers.")

Status
Not open for further replies.