Got wood in. sunny day pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
2 trailer loads in. Last row of 2 yr old birch. Sun almost has some heat in it.

Attachments

• 100_5971.jpg
    100_5971.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 911
  • 100_5978.jpg
    100_5978.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 883
  • 100_5976.jpg
    100_5976.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 893
  • 100_5977.jpg
    100_5977.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 892
  • 100_5980.jpg
    100_5980.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 904
  • 100_5982.jpg
    100_5982.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 891
Nice pictures thanks for post. Like pictures :zip:

Lookin' good! How many cord you going to go through this winter? Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Lookin' good! How many cord you going to go through this winter? Cheers!
Each section of the wood shed hold about 5 cords +/- , so a little over 4 so far. 2 trailer loads last 10 days +/-
New cat stove burns allot less wood than old stove did. :)

man you northern guys know how to do it!

Nice setup you have there.I wish I had that much wood ready.

Looks Cold to me.

Looks like an efficient refueling system there Dave, everyone should have an access door like that for bringing in their wood.
How about that exterior chimney? Does that cold Alaskan air cool it enough to create much creosote?

Carbon_Liberator said:
Looks like an efficient refueling system there Dave, everyone should have an access door like that for bringing in their wood.
How about that exterior chimney? Does that cold Alaskan air cool it enough to create much creosote?

The cap gets some build up but allot less with the new cat stove. + I'm burning better, drier wood too. Learned allot here
so am doing a much better job with my wood. Not much in the flue pipe, & most of it is in the top, last section. Maybe a 1lb coffee can per burn season total.

Getting a draft started,
On cold days, if I have to start a fire in a cold system, like when I just got back from vacation, I pull the clean-out plug, light some newspaper
& shove it in the bottom to get a draft started, then start a fire in the stove.

smokinjay:
Got up to 15°f today, below zero at night still, in the sun thermometer said 30°f, finally some heat in the sun & growing more everyday :)
Farther inland is 20° or more colder, like Fairbanks, & Tok
Supposed to get to 34 Friday/Sat & maybe snow, That may mean some more cold air will head southeast, if it is a big front moving in.
Nice to have the 10 hours of daylight for sure.

Dave, it will be interesting to see just how much less wood you do burn with this stove. I hope you keep track. But then we also know how much the weather can vary, especially in your area. Just look too at the lack of snow!

incredible wood shed and set up! NICE.

andrewdee said:
Nice set up. Stove not burning in pic ??

Stove cranking out heat, it's a cat & it is in the "burn down the charcoal mode" on High. Just no flames.

Backwoods Savage said:
Dave, it will be interesting to see just how much less wood you do burn with this stove. I hope you keep track. But then we also know how much the weather can vary, especially in your area. Just look too at the lack of snow!

I'm keeping track of the wood used this year.
& for years I've kept track by the old woodshed that became a storage shed (it was closed in),
it held 10 cords. I would burn most all of it every year.
Cold again here, so burning more at night, full load is only 12+ hour burn cycle.
I'm better by close to 40%. At current rate, I will burn 6 cords (40% less wood/year & house is warmer)

hey where you getting all your birch from? anywhere to get it free?

By the way Dave, it appears you are healing nicely. Looks like success! Just don't overdo things as that thing can give out pretty easy from now on. Experience speaks...

greythorn3 said:
hey where you getting all your birch from? anywhere to get it free?
Got it from Willow when state was widening the Parks Hwy ROW. Was free but 80 - 90 mile round trip.
Not much free, but a state cutting area just past Palmer. $10/cord, no road maintenance though,
checked it out but never got permit. Maybe this fall I'll give it a go. May take ATV to pull logs close to trailer/truck

Backwoods Savage said:
By the way Dave, it appears you are healing nicely. Looks like success! Just don't overdo things as that thing can give out pretty easy from now on. Experience speaks...
Saw Doc. Says: not allowed to run/jog. Need to strengthen lower back muscles. Start re-hab Monday.Physical therapy.
Been walking on treadmill 1 mile/day.
If the wind ever stop, I have some wood that needs cut/split. 1 cord +/-.
May give it a go, see how it feels. slow & easy.
Maybe reward myself with new lighter weight, more ergonomic saw. 346 XP with 20" bar
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landowner/products/chainsaws/346-xp/

The Bogydave woodshed pics...always a treat. Heckuva system Dave.

It's almost bikini weather up there eh?

Thanks
I was hoping for golf weather. Be "T"ing one up soon.(8 weeks) Long & straight down the middle. (well, hope at least findable)
bikinis. :bug: will need a hot tub for that, hmmmmm. maybe I need one.
:lol: Bikinis are a bit scarce here, gives the mosquitoes a bigger target :lol:

6 more weeks of winter, then 2-3 weeks of "Breakup".
Single digits tonight, still have up to 30 mph winds.

bogydave said:
Thanks
I was hoping for golf weather. Be "T"ing one up soon.(8 weeks) Long & straight down the middle. (well, hope at least findable)
bikinis. :bug: will need a hot tub for that, hmmmmm. maybe I need one.
:lol: Bikinis are a bit scarce here, gives the mosquitoes a bigger target :lol:

6 more weeks of winter, then 2-3 weeks of "Breakup".
Single digits tonight, still have up to 30 mph winds.
Man, you Alaskans and your real winters. Stay warm dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.