Gotta be a better way to connect flue collar to pipe...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

El_Barbón

Feb 8, 2022
Washington State
I've assembled my pipe according to VC's instructions, and I can't help but feel like something is Just Not Right here. The old stove was a Fischer, and the crimped ends all ran toward the chimney; the manual for the Intrepid swears up and down that this is correct, but it feels damn hinky to me. With the damper open, I can see the glow of the firebox peeking out between pipe and collar. Should I cement the heck out of this and call it good? I'd found a piece that would fit over the collar, but decided to follow instructions instead; should I swap for that? I like the stove fine as-is, but I think I'd like it even better if it were air-tight.
IMG_1816.JPGIMG_1817.JPG

I've assembled my pipe according to VC's instructions, and I can't help but feel like something is Just Not Right here. The old stove was a Fischer, and the crimped ends all ran toward the chimney; the manual for the Intrepid swears up and down that this is correct, but it feels damn hinky to me. With the damper open, I can see the glow of the firebox peeking out between pipe and collar. Should I cement the heck out of this and call it good? I'd found a piece that would fit over the collar, but decided to follow instructions instead; should I swap for that? I like the stove fine as-is, but I think I'd like it even better if it were air-tight. View attachment 313094View attachment 313095
Trim down the crimped end so it dropps down all the way to the rib

Reactions: El_Barbón
My stove's manual suggests the same, trimming off the crimps so the bulbous rib sits tight inside the collar.

The Fisher was supposed to be installed crimped end down as well. All older stoves used steel pipe for the outlet vent that was sized for outside diameter. So 6 inch outside was 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 inside. This required the installer to crimp the male end fitted into stove collar smaller than the factory crimp with hand crimpers. Owners not having crimpers would set the pipe over the collar, since the OD was correct for the female end of pipe. This started the upside down pipes with crimp facing upward.

Keeping the crimp end down allows any liquid condensate to stay inside the pipe dripping down to be consumed in stove instead of leaking out. 3 screws at each joint is code, and if there are gaps, an extra screw helps round it out eliminating the gap.

A leak at the collar can allow oxygen to rush in mixing with exhaust smoke particles. When hot enough, this can ignite as secondary combustion in the pipe. The area above the leak glows, and paint on pipe will be discolored. I’ve had crushed or deformed pipe bad enough to drill 4 holes in stove collar large enough to let the screws spin in collar so the self tapper pulls the pipe tight against the collar. Some pipe is just worse than others. The thicker the gauge the better.

The Fisher was supposed to be installed crimped end down as well. All older stoves used steel pipe for the outlet vent that was sized for outside diameter. So 6 inch outside was 5 1/2 to 5 3/4 inside. This required the installer to crimp the male end fitted into stove collar smaller than the factory crimp with hand crimpers. Owners not having crimpers would set the pipe over the collar, since the OD was correct for the female end of pipe. This started the upside down pipes with crimp facing upward.

Keeping the crimp end down allows any liquid condensate to stay inside the pipe dripping down to be consumed in stove instead of leaking out. 3 screws at each joint is code, and if there are gaps, an extra screw helps round it out eliminating the gap.

A leak at the collar can allow oxygen to rush in mixing with exhaust smoke particles. When hot enough, this can ignite as secondary combustion in the pipe. The area above the leak glows, and paint on pipe will be discolored. I’ve had crushed or deformed pipe bad enough to drill 4 holes in stove collar large enough to let the screws spin in collar so the self tapper pulls the pipe tight against the collar. Some pipe is just worse than others. The thicker the gauge the better.
Man, that's good to know. I always wondered why you'd put the crimped end down, since it seems intuitively less airtight. And sure enough, there's a little discoloration where the vertical coming off the stove meets the elbow. Not a lot, and I've never had glowing pipe. But it's visible. Now that I look at it, the top side of that bend looks like it's lost some of the coating, too, and has rusted a bit.
My stove's manual suggests the same, trimming off the crimps so the bulbous rib sits tight inside the collar.
My manual doesn't say boo about it. :mad: Its instructions for actually making the connection are pretty terrible, in fact.