Gotta Make Time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I keep saying I'll work this area but never get to it, I'll make time this spring/summer so I can clean the trail up and just maybe get some firewood.

This is down in a ravine, when Sav came up this was blocked off because of a downed tree.

Attachments

• 100_4793.JPG
    100_4793.JPG
    345.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_4791.JPG
    100_4791.JPG
    339.9 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: zap
Where am the snow?;)

Reactions: milleo
S.O., last time I went through that area we had some cherry & maple down, way up the hill on the right.

blue2ndaries, the most work will be cleaning up and making the trail wider. On the opposite end of this trail (not pictured) I will have some stump clearing so the trail is wider on that end.

Reactions: Blue2ndaries
nice woods .........looks pretty clean
I try to keep the trail clear but since we don't use that much I only clear it in the spring and fall.

When you get your trails cleared zap, how about coming over to give me a hand? I think we have about as much down stuff now as you do.

When you get your trails cleared zap, how about coming over to give me a hand? I think we have about as much down stuff now as you do.
How does that work, you get then cleaned up then a wind storm comes through. I bet you have more stuff down.

hey that looks like a chainsaw sittin' there in that second pic.

somebody shoulda grabbed that thing and started cuttin' :)

It looks like the 310 or 390, I usually carry those two when clearing trails or cutting regular size trees.

If you come up I'll give you the tree on the right in the first pic, the barkless one. :cool:

Reactions: ansehnlich1
Nice looking land. Looks like easy walking. Nice size wood. A lot of our woods is rough, rocky and has many evergreens. We have some maple, but more birch and red oak. I can't work the wood any longer, but I still like my visits in the trees.

Nice looking land. Looks like easy walking. Nice size wood. A lot of our woods is rough, rocky and has many evergreens. We have some maple, but more birch and red oak. I can't work the wood any longer, but I still like my visits in the trees.
Thanks save$. The original owner put trails on the property to every area or hill which makes it easy, just have to keep the trails clear. We have white pine,hemlock,basswood,beech,birch,maples,quaking aspen and cherry on our property.

Just something about the woods when your back in working or taking a walk, peaceful, even when running a chainsaw.

Reactions: Thistle
Just something about the woods when your back in working or taking a walk, peaceful, even when running a chainsaw.

You got it. I like being in the woods whether working,walking,looking for morels in Spring,watching wildlife/taking pics or even just sitting on a stump reading a book.

You got it. I like being in the woods whether working,walking,looking for morels in Spring,watching wildlife/taking pics or even just sitting on a stump reading a book.

I agree with you and Zap....just nice being in the woods or just outside in general. Last week one day I got home early just jumped in the truck and went to the farm I cut at and walked the woods for about an hour. I was looking around for future work some but was just enjoying being out there.

Reactions: zap and Thistle
You're showing signs Spring or Cabin fever . ;)
If you plow that trail , it'll help the snow melt so you can get there sooner this Spring.

You'd need snow machine to get out there now,
put that on your list "after" , the woodshed, the cabin, fire pit & other projects ;)

Don't forget to tie some surveyor ribbon before it snows, to mark where the down trees are !

Morels:) Now your talking

Reactions: Thistle
Morels:) Now your talking

I first noticed your avatar several days ago.::-) WOW. Is that from last year? 2012 was a bust for me,found a handful is all.2011 was so-so,2007-2010 were the best years I remember since early-mid 80's when I started looking.

Hopefully we get lots of rain this spring & more snow before then to alleviate the drought sitch.Big storm on the way now,supposed to see 6-9 inches by tommorow morning.Its forecast to start by 2pm today,with the heavy stuff falling after 5PM.

You're showing signs Spring or Cabin fever . ;)
If you plow that trail , it'll help the snow melt so you can get there sooner this Spring.

You'd need snow machine to get out there now,
put that on your list "after" , the woodshed, the cabin, fire pit & other projects ;)

Don't forget to tie some surveyor ribbon before it snows, to mark where the down trees are !
I think the snow is frozen enough that I could run it this weekend, I have work close to the house so I'll let the wildlife have the woods for another three weeks.

I'm cutting cherry starting Saturday, on Sunday it's up in the air, cutting or burning in the outside fireplace.

I first noticed your avatar several days ago.::-) WOW. Is that from last year? 2012 was a bust for me,found a handful is all.2011 was so-so,2007-2010 were the best years I remember since early-mid 80's when I started looking.

Hopefully we get lots of rain this spring & more snow before then to alleviate the drought sitch.Big storm on the way now,supposed to see 6-9 inches by tommorow morning.Its forecast to start by 2pm today,with the heavy stuff falling after 5PM.

Actually those are from 2008 just like you said 2007 -2010 were the best years lately. In 2011 & 2012 we found about 100 each year. But from 2007 -2010 we found 300-400 each year. The more rain and snow the better.

I have heard that northern Iowa is good for morels. My wife is from Cedar Rapids. We had a good fishing trip there on the Iowa River last year.

Actually those are from 2008 just like you said 2007 -2010 were the best years lately. In 2011 & 2012 we found about 100 each year. But from 2007 -2010 we found 300-400 each year. The more rain and snow the better.

I have heard that northern Iowa is good for morels. My wife is from Cedar Rapids. We had a good fishing trip there on the Iowa River last year.
What is the best spot to look for morels? I always pick wild leeks but never look for shrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.