gotta Progress on order

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doug60

Apr 30, 2008
north jersey
I'm looking for opinions on my install.
Stove will be in family room (lower level 52 X 28 bi-level.
About 20 years ago I lined the fireplace (masonry outside chimney 12 X12 clay flue)
Its lined with a 8 inch round SS liner. I filled the gap with rock wool insulation.
Its about 20 feet in height. I have had no draft problems.
I'm debating dropping a 6 inch liner inside to 8 & insulating it the same way or perhaps with Perlite.
Since these stove burn so clean I thinking I could eliminate the clean out tee for a easier flowing double 45 degree 6 inch directly into the stove from the clay flue .
Just take the pipes apart for an annual cleaning.
Should I go through the trouble changing to the 6 inch or just connect to the 8 inch that's already there?
Thanks , doug

Congratulations. I'd be inclined to try it with the 8" and see how it works. Softening the 90 will help, though include at least a short vertical rise before the first 45 if possible. If there are no issues with smoke spill or puffback, you should be good to go.

I agree with Begreen, I'd try it with the 8" first and see how it goes.

+1. When in doubt, call the manufacturer. Woodstock is very good at responding to individual inquiries.

I have a 6" uninsulated SS liner going up a 12x12 clay flue 15 feet tall exterior chimney. This stove wants a good flue to get a good draft, mine is marginal for the Progress.

You have an extra 5 feet of flue and the added insulation going for you compared with me (make sure you are measuring from stove's outlet to top of flue).
I would also say give it a try before forking out $$$$$.

thanks for the reply's.
Woodstock said it should be fine with the 8 inch flue.
But the liner is quit reasonable at 42.81 for 48 inches . The 6 inch inside the 8 inch with the added insulation might be worth the extra 214 .00.
DuraVent 1648SS 6" x 48" Single Wall Stainless Steel Stove Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.