Gotta take this one down this weekend.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatsTwice

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
Santa Rosa, California
Neighbor called. Said he wants me to drop the whole tree and and take 2/3rds of the wood - leaving him 1/3 bucked & split. I figure about 2.5 - 3.5 cords.
CIMG8461.compressed.jpgCIMG8463.compressed.jpg

That's a biggie heats. What is it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

That's a biggie heats. What is it?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Its a California Live Oak. Durring the summer they get thirsty, suck up too much water and then fall over or break trunks. Great wood for burning - $300 a cord (seasoned).

Can't beat that be safe and have fun perfect weather for the outdoors

nice, thats a win win deal for all involved

From the top down , slow & easy, be careful. An easy tree to get the saw stuck in.
Primo wood though, It's worth it.

beautiful trees

Too bad for the tree...GOOD for you though!

Save a bunch of the 3"-4" branches,cut in short lengths for cooking meat in open pit or covered grill.You'll never go back to bagged commercial charcoal ever again.;)

I figure about 2.5 - 3.5 cords.
Hard to say from a pic, but I think that may be a pretty good guess. Might even be a bit less. Let us know when you get it stacked out...

You have to be careful but I've found those type fun to cut up. I've also wondered how live oak compares for burning.

You have to be careful but I've found those type fun to cut up. I've also wondered how live oak compares for burning.

Good points. Screwing up is not part of my buisness plan. As for how well it compare for burning. This type of oak is the best we get out here in California. better than Madrone or others. But there is a trick. The same tree, when infected with some type of disease "looks" ok when you are cutting/bucking/splitting. But when it dries out it turns punky with a very low heat content and high ash - worthless. I once scored 2 cords of that type of (crap) oak - given to me by a golf course superintendant, and learned my lesson.

This oak looks good though.

Reactions: ScotO
Good. Thanks for the info on the live oak. One thing I remember when in Texas was that all the live oak there seemed there was not many places where there was a straight spot. Really crooked limbs and trunk as well.

I am surprised to hear it is better than madrone.

Nice score......and be safe.

I have been reading about the live oak lately, what's the btu/cord rating on it?

Heats Twice: I love you sig!!! Especially the last two lines!
I've said both of those things on several occasions. ;)

TS

HeatsTwice, I am sure we would all like to see the finished product in picture form

Yes so would I. As soon as I got to the job site, the owner, knowing nothing about how much work taking/making fire wood was, set down all sorts of preconditions of removal: Must pile up brush on other side of 3 acre property, can only work Saterdays 9:00am to 4:00pm since the house is a vacation rental and I must not disturb tenants with chainsaw splitter noise, must not damage surrounding trees when dropping the whole thing.

I told him: You should probably hire a pro to crown the down tree and move the brush, and then drop the remaining one. Once the wood is on the ground and clear of everything else, I will give you a third of the fire wood. Haven't heard back yet. Bet he's still trying to find someone to do the work for less than a few grand.

Is it just you or a couple of buddys helping, That looks like a weekend project

Well, its 15 miles away and just me and my 70 year old neighbor who used to be a fellsman for the forest service back in the '60s. The problem is that I want the owner to learn a few lessons before I start work. Some people havn't a clue what goes into a cord of wood. I don't mind doing he work but here, in the wine country, I am too busy with grape harvest, crush etc, to be blowing 2 weekends crowning, bucking, splitting, and hauling. Btw, because of the limited access to the wood I mensioned, (because of tenant inconvinience) it would probably be more like 5 weekends and I don't know what I will be doing even next Saturday (I can't plan that far in advance).

The good news is that two arborist just dumped 8,000 lb of pine, walnut and oak on my property. So even if I loose out on this deal, I am set for next year. I also have other "gets" in the works which are more easily planned. In these, the wood will just get dumped on my property by profesional tree guys.

We will see what happens with this oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.