Grab the Big Saw....No not that one the other one!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
On my way to work and out of the cornor of my eye is a Monster stump....This thing appars to be in the 70 inch range. Time to noddle up a Big one with the 880. Looks like theres around 3/4 of a cord there and its on my way home. Have pic's later should be some Big o'l piles of Saw dust!

Attachments

• hog.jpg
    hog.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 655
smokinjay said:
On my way to work and out of the cornor of my eye is a Monster stump....This thing appars to be in the 70 inch range. Time to noddle up a Big one with the 880. Looks like there around 3/4 of a cord there and its on my way home. Have pic's later should be some Big o'l piles of Saw dust!

While you have the beast unleashed, come over and drop that big oak for me! You'll get about 8k lbs of 60" slabs so bring 10 gallons of gas, 20 gallons or bar oil and your bench grinder. You'll probably need a dozer too. I'll provide the beer and moral support. Let me know when you'll show up LOL!

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
On my way to work and out of the cornor of my eye is a Monster stump....This thing appars to be in the 70 inch range. Time to noddle up a Big one with the 880. Looks like there around 3/4 of a cord there and its on my way home. Have pic's later should be some Big o'l piles of Saw dust!

While you have the beast unleashed, come over and drop that big oak for me! You'll get about 8k lbs of 60" slabs so bring 10 gallons of gas, 20 gallons or bar oil and your bench grinder. You'll probably need a dozer too. I'll provide the beer and moral support. Let me know when you'll show up LOL!

Where you at?

smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:

Where you at?

Probably too far. The tree about a half hour north of Terre Haute (2.5 hours from you).

Pics better be on the way. I dont believe you. LOL

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:
smokinjay said:

Where you at?

Probably too far. The tree about a half hour north of Terre Haute (2.5 hours from you).

60 inch slabs could be worth it....Very rare to find 40+ over ten foot. Cold be some Awesome Table's! Any Pic's?

Here's the tree. 361 with 20" bar sitting about 2 feet in front of the tree (make the saw look a little bigger).

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 682
Easy drop...nothing to hit but the ground too.

lukem said:
Easy drop...nothing to hit but the ground too.

I like it.....You need a Table? How tall you think it is?

MMaul said:
Pics better be on the way. I dont believe you. LOL

You Ready for a Road Trip? :coolhmm:

I'm 6'4" and have pretty long arms too. When I stand at the base and reach up there is about 4 more feet to the crown...so I'd say a minimum of 12'...but I haven't put a tape on it.

We are there. When? I could use a table.

lukem said:
I'm 6'4" and have pretty long arms too. When I stand at the base and reach up there is about 4 more feet to the crown...so I'd say a minimum of 12'...but I haven't put a tape on it.

Nice I think it would be worth the drive I would want 3 slabs sure MMAUL would like 3. That would 3-4 nice one's for your cut!

If you guys are serious I'll set something up with the homeowner (my BIL's mother). I'm 95% sure it won't be an issue but it is not my tree to give away either. It's not going anywhere!

lukem said:
If you guys are serious I'll set something up with the homeowner (my BIL's mother). I'm 95% sure it won't be an issue but it is not my tree to give away either. It's not going anywhere!

Very serious! I think July 2nd looking pretty good! Is there a place to pitch a tent? This could turn into a two day job quick.

MMaul said:
We are there. When? I could use a table.

Take your truck my trailer sounds like a BIG ONE!

I'll have an answer for you tonight.

Plenty of places to pitch a tent if needed.

lukem said:
I'll have an answer for you tonight.

Plenty of places to pitch a tent if needed.

Sounds good. Will need to run a new chain for ever slab...........This will make some AWESOME tables! :coolgrin:

So very slow milling and probally a few Modd.s to handle that wide MONSTER!

July second not good for me going out of town, off the week before and home on the 5th off rest of the week.

Talked to my BIL. About 99% 'go' at this point. Will know for sure tonight.

MMaul said:
July second not good for me going out of town, off the week before and home on the 5th off rest of the week.

Ok we get the green light I will take a vacation! Be some Bad @ss one piece table's we all will be Proud of! :cheese:

lukem said:
Talked to my BIL. About 99% 'go' at this point. Will know for sure tonight.

Sounds Awesome! I think we all make out like Bandits on this deal!

I should be over there tonight cleaning up the rest of the limbs...I'll put a tape on it and let you know what you are up against.

lukem said:
I should be over there tonight cleaning up the rest of the limbs...I'll put a tape on it and let you know what you are up against.

I have seen this pic in another thread....I will have the gen-set and grinder station up and running first thing. These slabs will become family heirloom's over night! :cheese: Will be a lot better than firewood!

smokinjay said:
lukem said:

I have seen this pic in another thread....I will have the gen-set and grinder station up and running first thing. These slabs will become family heirloom's over night! :cheese: Will be a lot better than firewood!

Yep...the thread i posted about cleaning up. I have 7 heaping F150 loads hauled out so far...about 3 more to go. Some of the limbs might be a little too big for my tiny 361.

Status
Not open for further replies.