grade of pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart

Mar 10, 2006
Bethany Ct
i was told oak and maple produce more heat and more ash,,,,, reg wood pellets proudce less heat but less ash is this true

usually, you'd want to minimize your ash, but, if your stove will burn the pellet, and you dont mind emptying ashes and cleaning the stove more frequently, theres nothing wrong with higher ash pellets. Price may dictate the savings, but in my experience, you wont see a big change in price.....maybe $20-$40/ton between premium pellets and standard pellets. Just make sure your stove will burn the standards or industrials before you go and buy a bunch!

Another problem with the higher ash pellets can be more stuff on the glass. I found that when I tried a bag or two of cheap pellets that in addition to more ash I was getting some hard to remove little bits of crud stuck to the glass. Never got this with the Blazers or Lignetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.