Granberg File-n-joint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n1st

Jun 3, 2007
Enfield, CT
Does anybody know how to use this thing? I've spent a good hour trying to get it aligned on the bar but with no luck. Either it clamps the chain and it can't travel, or I can't get the file in the groove, or can't get it out. This is a newish chain and I suppose if the cutters were wider with use, I might be able to get the file in easier, but now it seems that taking the file out of the jig, putting it into the cutter groove, and then back into the jig for each cutter is the only way I can kind of get it to work. So, does anybody have a good technique for using this thing??

No idea, but I've seen discussion of this unit over on Arboristsite, so you might try asking over there. They are good people and will be happy to help.

Gooserider

Thanks GR.

I've been using this system for several years, and wouldn't trade it for any other. Just make sure that the "clasp" covers the chain rivets....tighten, then loosen until the chain will rotate freely......then tighten the thumb-screw, to secure the entire unit to the chain bar. Set horizontal setting to "0" degrees, then the cutter angle to match the mark on the chain link (usually about 35 degrees). File from "inside" toward "outside" of the cutter link, making sure that the file is sharpening both the cove and underside of the top edge of the cutter link. Use the same number of file strokes on each link, to assure uniformatey. Once this is accomplished, rotate the cutting guide to approximately 35 degrees on the opposite side, and file the other links., to sharpen the cutter teeth facing the other side of the bar. This same jig will allow you to check and adjust the depth of cut for the chain. Not "rocket science" but certainly makes the task of cutting wood more pleasurable.

Status
Not open for further replies.