Granddaughter #2, 1st salmon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Went fishing yesterday.
Silvers running.
Granddaughter caught her 1st salmon.
Pic: SIL & granddaughter & a coho salmon on the line

000_0033.JPG

000_0036.JPG

Yes
Silvers smoke better than reds,
Will be smoking 18 fillets tomorrow, Salt/brown sugar brine overnight. Hickory chunks (store bought ;hm ) for smoke.
Caught a few miles from the house. Top secret spot & special bait ;) :)

Reactions: ScotO
Oh I SO HOPE you offer a thread of the smoking process. Thats the ony way I like my salmon and steelhead. Smoked....

Cute shot. That's a nice experience for both of you. And nice catch too!

Nice day bogy, I'm sure she will remember that fishing trip.

zap

Nice catch, wish we could use spinning tackle here, fly fishing only with barbless flies.

Looks like an awesome time getting a great catch!!

I agree with Scotty on the Smoking thread :)

(What was the temperature up your way? Looks to be an enjoyable Fall day)

Thanks
59 right now, if the sun make it thru the clouds, we get in the 60s, but has been cloudy & some rain for the past few days.
On the water, (glacier feed river with water temp mid 40s) temp is in the low 50s & cooler if there is a breeze.

Bait is roe that I cure up with a secret recipe.
I use 4/0 hooks with an egg knot & spin-n-glows
Pic of roe from these fish curing up for next trip.:

100_7800.JPG

Reactions: Jags and DexterDay
Awesome - A sure way to begin the next generation of outdoors people. Absolutely love it.

I would love to come up your way and spend a week fishing. Alaska fishing is on my bucket list - I'll get there some day.

I'm with Jags...Always wanted to hit up Alaska for some fishing!

Looks like the Salmon like the bling... do you make your own rigs or are they storebought??

1st picture is awesome, A moment with Gramps that she will never forget!

I'm with Jags...Always wanted to hit up Alaska for some fishing!

Looks like the Salmon like the bling... do you make your own rigs or are they storebought??

1st picture is awesome, A moment with Gramps that she will never forget!

IMO, best fishing in August, (silvers) coho salmon are running, lots of rivers & creeks have runs.
Oldest granddaughter & I make up the spin-glos, various colors & beads to see if one is better than others. We each have our favorites.

IMO, best fishing in August, (silvers) coho salmon are running, lots of rivers & creeks have runs.
Oldest granddaughter & I make up the spin-glos, various colors & beads to see if one is better than others. We each have our favorites.

Also used to make my own rigs, Moved to Ohio and pretty much quit fishing!! Did Walleye for a couple years, Good eats, just not my cup of tea!
Thanks for sharing...To me You and your family are living the life!

Status
Not open for further replies.