Grandfathers tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxdave

Burning Hunk
Aug 16, 2010
Kirkland, WA
I was walking with my mom the other day in the town I grew up in (White Rock, BC), and we happened to go by the property where my dad grew up in a little old house on the now very expensive Marine Drive. There was a large white oak in the front, which is interesting because there aren't a lot of oaks in that region. Now of course the house he grew up in was since demolished and replaced with a high-end home, but the tree remains. I mentioned to my mom how nice the tree was, and it turns out that my grandfather had actually planted the acorn, on the day King George died in 1952. I never met him since he had died when my own dad was just 14. But seeing what he left here touched me in a way, and I felt like I got to meet a part of him.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 276
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Reactions: CincyBurner
Very neat story ... have to try to get a few acorns to spread the wealth and create your own tradition/landmark:)

I felt like I got to meet a part of him
I feel the same way about the bits and pieces I have from Grandparents and Great-Grandparents. I have a carved bone necklace that came from South Africa that was my Great-Gram's. Great-Gramps was a carpenter and worked there after the Boer War circa 1904. I also have fostoria crystal glasses that he earned for carpentry work in Canada during the Depression along with the one remaining teacup of their everyday china that came with them from London. Cousin has Great-Gramp's kilt.;lol but no idea where the bagpipes went:( The monetary value is nil but the link to my family's past and their story is priceless!

Nice way to remember past relatives. I love oaks. Our neighbor planted a Tennessee Black Oak about 5 years ago and it is starting to shape up nicely. It will be a magnificent big tree someday.

But be careful what tree and where you plant it. We have an 80 ft tall redwood too close to the house that was planted around 1972. Very bad idea. And this thing is just a baby.

That is very cool.
I'm fortuneate enough to have a summer camp that my grandfather built and got to know him as well as a 13 yr old could.

One thing I plan on doing (but haven't started yet) is just making a nice scrap book detailing the high moments in each year. Something to give the kids and pass down.

Status
Not open for further replies.