Grandma Bear chimney insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Budman32

Sep 2, 2016
Worth, NY
I have a Grandma Bear chimney insert made in 1982. Converting to a standing stove and looking for help determining what to use on top for collar or adapter. Thank you!

If it hasn't already been answered, coaly will be the guy with the answer! Welcome to the forum!

There is no "Grandma Bear Insert". Grandma Bear is a freestanding stove.
If you have a round outlet, (some Insert models have rectangular outlet) simply remove the factory damper and insert crimped end of pipe into Insert outlet. Install regular damper in first section of pipe. If you are concerned with code requirement of 3 screws to attach to stove collar, small angle iron or L brackets screwed to stove top and pipe will secure pipe to stove top. It's not going to be code compliant outside of a non-combustible hearth anyway. If connecting to a 6 inch insulated chimney, reduce with adapter right at appliance and use 6 inch damper. (reducing flue size is not legal but will physically work very well with proper sized and insulated chimney)
The Inserts are designed and UL listed to set on non-combustible surface, so take that into consideration if this is on a combustible floor.

If this is your Insert, It is a full size "Fisher Fireplace Insert".
https://www.hearth.com/images/uploads/fishinsertmanual.pdf

I have located one of the inserts, and I also need to use it as a freestanding stove. I understand about the UL listing, and I certainly do not want to burn my house! Is there a safe way to build a hearth by stacking bricks to bring the stove to a safe and useable height? I suppose the right answer may be to pass on this purchase, but time is getting short to find a stove. Thanks.

Yes you can build a masonry enclosure, but it requires a blower or two to extract the most heat. It will only radiate heat from the face and the front portion that protrudes from the "Hearth". The air space built around the firebox provides convection heat removed more efficiently with blower. People with disabilities that can't bend to load build them up higher for easier loading, but remember hot air rises, so the lower the better for air circulation. The return air comes in the bottom slot under ash fender, so the lower to the floor the more cold air is removed from floor to be heated and circulated out the top blower vent.
Is viewing the fire a priority? Or do you want an efficient heater? Inserts were purpose built to get more heat from a fireplace and still be able to view the fire. You give up a lot of efficiency for those capabilities.
You can search Craigslist using "Search Tempest" to search by mileage away. Most people don't know what they're selling, so search using keywords like Fisher, woodstove, wood stove, burner....... Sometimes searching for any wood stove will find a Fisher that the seller didn't use the manufacturer name. They are clueless and you can find them for 50 or 100 bucks!
And welcome to the Forum !

Thank you. It sounds like I should pass on this one. I am not going to be able to build an enclosure. I wanted to set it on a brick pad of just stacked bricks. I have to decide today.

Freestanding Papa, Mama and Baby Bears are available, check craigslist. I've bought two over the last 6 months for $100 each, both only needed minor repairs to make them like new.

Thanks. I did not purchase the insert. I'm in the NC Blue Ridge, and most of the Bear series stoves I'm finding are around $500. May have found a nice Mama Bear for $300. I expect to be able to see it Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.