Grandma model pulled out of a basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flako

Oct 6, 2014
Colorado
Good day everyone,

Ive been wanting to get my hands on a wood burning stove for a couple of years now. A friend called me and offered a stove that had been sitting in the basement of his parents for the past 25years.

I jumped at the offer and drove 50 miles out of the city to go pick it up. When I got there I was happily surprised. The unit looks in great shape and with the exception of a couple of broken liner bricks everything is solid.

So I got online to find more information on it and found this place. Ive been reading for a couple of days now and while im still finding my way around the site I have found TONS of good info.

Now my main concern is, if it will be able to be installed it in my home. The stove comes with a tag but I dont see it being a UL label. Not sure if I can work around that. Can anyone help me figure out what year this was built?

I have a serial number if need be. But what pop out is that the label is not riveted in but maybe glued? Is that weird or common. I am happy to see that the stove was built here in CO.

Also, who do I need to call (regulatory agency) to find out regulations in my area? Im in Denver, CO btw.

I am hoping to close on our 1st home purchase next month (pretty excited about that) but there is no chimney for me to route the flue through. How complicated is it to bust a whole thru the wall instead of having to go up thru the second level and then through the ceiling?

Im also looking at some really nice restored units online. I would love to repaint and add that nice gold coloring to the letters and trees. What is the best way to get this done? I have not seen many restore threads on here. Looking to end up with the matte black type vs the shinny look. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

On to some pictures.

Last edited:
Yes, that is strange for a tag with rivet holes to be attached by other means. They were normally attached to the rear shield, and the reduced clearance given would indicate the tag for the stove tested had rear shield. Can't read the mark behind "Grandma" but it looks like it may be a II ? That was a revision in 1977 for addition of shields. Doesn't matter, since you may need it to be UL listed for installation. It isn't a tag giving UL test standard it was tested to. This was the reason for nationwide standards by UL testing lab.
The first UL tested Fisher's were 1978.

Your city building and zoning codes office would determine if you can install an unlisted appliance within city limits. Many local codes only allow them to be used when installed before newer codes were adopted. Once removed from original installation they are not grandfathered. Depends on each local building code.

Satin Black by Stove Bright is close to the original finish. Entire stove was black until later models with arched door were available with brass or nickel plating in 1980. No highlighting was done with paint.
Yours looks like it only needs a little sanding at rusty areas and clean entire stove with mineral spirits allowing to dry before painting.

Status
Not open for further replies.